+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite HVAC Tool

Post Likes

Question Your Favorite HVAC Tool

Hey guys, how you all doing?

I'm currently enrolled in IvyTech School for my associates degree in HVAC.
    The question I had for everybody is what is YOUR favorite tool?
    Or what is a new tool that has been developed that you know of, that makes everybody's life easier?
    OR what tool or equipment do you know of that is just plain out interesting?

Reason I ask is because we have a project to present to the class about a tool that we are aware of, that is great to use, and explain its basic functionality.

It could be gauges, meters, leak detectors, schrader valve removers, I don't know pretty much anything.
    Hopefully you guys can help me with some ideas, thanks!

2. Likes mkovack liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You can't go wrong with a close quarter Imp(tubing cutter). Also, a good set of fitting brushes and inspection mirror make life much easier. One more thing that I can't live without after I first discovered it is a good headlight. Its so nice to have both hands free and bright light on your task. I could go on and on but go basic. The LED headlight is vital. Sometimes its the simple things.

4. Likes r2oappliance liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would do imperials iManifold/iConnect. You'll blow their minds and there's plenty to talk about.

6. Likes kamersoutdoor liked this post.
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    THANK YOU! This definitely blew my mind and I can't wait to present on this. Definitely the future.
    Thanks for the links as well

Post Likes
    Good call

Post Likes
    I second the heaglight.. but sure.. do the fancy imanifold

11. Likes mr.charles liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would have to admit that the led head lamp is a wonderful thing to have . Most often when working in the crawl space of a yacht the headlamp is a godsend !

Post Likes
    I say headlamp! Followed by smartphone flashlight for when head lamp goes dead. But seriously headlamp and the Schrader valve tool that let's you remove valves while the system is charged. Can't remember the name of it

Post Likes
    Digital manometer, it has almost as many uses as a hammer.

Post Likes
    Going off the beaten path a little bit.....

When you're working in the field, you should have Steel Toe boots. I wear Red Wings because.....

1)They are comfortable,

2)They come in custom widths - I have a very narrow AA-width foot which makes it very hard to find a work boot that fits and...

3)They LAST FOREVER. I've had three pairs of , and each has lasted 3+years before the sole started to wear out. Replace the sole insert every 6-12 months. You can actually just replace the sole after they wear out if the leather "upper" is still in good shape, which is about half the cost of buying a brand new pair.

I always buy the classic 6" boot model #82406. It's just your regular-joe good old-fashioned work boot. But they have tons of different types/styles to match your specific preference/situation.

Don't skimp on your work shoes! If your "dogs are barking" all day at work, you'll be miserable. This is true in any type of work but DOUBLY so in an industry like ours.

Post Likes
    For low volt 24V shorts , the short pro tool is a good tool to have. When looking for a short on 40VA system this tool saves valuable time and can find the type of shorts you cant find with a 3 amp or 5 amp reset breaker . And if your working on a unfamiliar system it protects you even if you jump the wrong 24volt circuit.

Post Likes
    One of my all time fav is the yellow jacket hose end that allows you to remove and change out a shrader valve without blowing the charge. Save me alot of time many times.

18. Likes Bluebush liked this post.
    Post Likes
    that's easy, I tell my customers all the time. the most important tool everyone in the industry needs be it commercial residential or industrial is.... wait for it......COFFEE!!!

20. Likes Core_d, DuctLife7926, kamersoutdoor liked this post.
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    My favorite tool is my brain. It's usually handy, runs on almost any fuel, and it makes my life much easier. My customer's lives too. I find my brain interesting - I enjoy the way it works and it often surprises me with what it an do. My second favorite tool is my hands. All other tools come in a far-down-the-list fourth or lower.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by JayAgudo View Post
    Hey guys, how you all doing?

I'm currently enrolled in IvyTech School for my associates degree in HVAC.
    The question I had for everybody is what is YOUR favorite tool?
    Or what is a new tool that has been developed that you know of, that makes everybody's life easier?
    OR what tool or equipment do you know of that is just plain out interesting?

Reason I ask is because we have a project to present to the class about a tool that we are aware of, that is great to use, and explain its basic functionality.

It could be gauges, meters, leak detectors, schrader valve removers, I don't know pretty much anything.
    Hopefully you guys can help me with some ideas, thanks!
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    PHM, you somehow copied my answer!!!
    I do like my compact tubing bender, http://uniweld.com/en/news-releases/...ow-tube-bender
    It can bend up to 1 1/8" soft copper. the less joint in a line the better the install...
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    My favorite tool is my brain. It's usually handy, runs on almost any fuel, and it makes my life much easier. My customer's lives too. I find my brain interesting - I enjoy the way it works and it often surprises me with what it an do. My second favorite tool is my hands. All other tools come in a far-down-the-list fourth or lower.

PHM
    --------
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    my old robinair manifold set.

Post Likes
    In no particular order

My tif electronic sight glass.
    The new Chinese headlight, gives petzl a run for the money
    Carabiners
    A 20 lb aluminum co2 tank unregulated w/ a 20 foot 3 k psi hose and a 1/8 flare stub
    My Turbo torch (hand) w/ a wrap around shield to braze 1 inch pipe (mapp)

Post Likes

Post Likes
    How could I pick only one. I can't. Favorite tool what a mindfu*k
    This is a trade that requires so many tools.
    Cant Decide

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in