Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Traditional solder system vs. Propress

Should we trust the machine and cost to maintenence as a sustainable practice?
    Last edited by jrath66; 01-23-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: New picture

Post Likes
    The topic is from the magazine and sponsor of this site
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    We have 2 at our shop and I really like it for WH's and quick repairs. Also makes boiler installs way faster.

Post Likes
    Good point

Post Likes
    Next generation won't know how to use a touch

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Next generation won't know how to use a touch
    Ha. That's the kind of stuff I used to hear from the old man I apprenticed in 25+ years ago. He made us buy caulking tools and be proficient with a lead pot and ladle. I can count the lead and oakum joints I have packed since then on one hand.

Technology moves on, and PEX and propress systems are now the industry standard. That old man is probably spinning in his grave as I type this.

Post Likes
    It always looks appealing to me but do not do enough to warrant the cost. I know my concern is unfounded but I still find myself wondering about the o rings life.

Post Likes
    We use a ton of propress and shark bite. Ironically, both of our plumbers are old dudes and they freaking love the stuff lol. They're still blazing fast and damn near perfect every time when soldering too. As far as price, it pays for its self pretty fast when you have the really big jobs or a lot of fittings somewhere.

Post Likes
    Many hospitals in my area won't allow soldered joints all propress.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    It always looks appealing to me but do not do enough to warrant the cost. I know my concern is unfounded but I still find myself wondering about the o rings life.
    Many are here who are wondering about the o ring life.

Post Likes
    At my work it takes three to get a burn permit, two to do the work and an 8 hour fire watch. An Alarm tech. to shut down and restart smoke detection. I have three solder jobs that go back 5 months. They want me to use ProPress, but I have so little room for the rework, it's going to have to be solder.

Post Likes
    There are places that are all are still applicable even the lead ladle pot. (granted I have had to do 3 in the last 25 years). The o-rings will last longer than your work career. I love pex in old house retrofit. I really hate the thought of taking a torch inside a 120 year old wall. Propress you need some large jobs to make them pay for themselves. Propress has not been accepted by ASME yet to the best of my knowledge but I hear the approval is coming. Pex is cheapest but when you get into using the plastic fittings I question the overall life vs copper.

Post Likes
    Has anyone used Mapp Gas self lighting torches? Used one a couple years ago on a unit repipe. "They had the heating / cooling coil connections switched." It was so tight above the ceiling, I could hardly see what I was soldering. Not a single leak. I did go and shut the valves off for overnight for about two weeks; LOL. Sweet for soldering in a tight spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast