+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional solder system vs. Propress

Post Likes

Traditional solder system vs. Propress

Should we trust the machine and cost to maintenence as a sustainable practice?
    Last edited by jrath66; 01-23-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: New picture

Post Likes
    The topic is from the magazine and sponsor of this site
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    We have 2 at our shop and I really like it for WH's and quick repairs. Also makes boiler installs way faster.

Post Likes
    Good point

Post Likes
    Next generation won't know how to use a touch

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Next generation won't know how to use a touch
    Ha. That's the kind of stuff I used to hear from the old man I apprenticed in 25+ years ago. He made us buy caulking tools and be proficient with a lead pot and ladle. I can count the lead and oakum joints I have packed since then on one hand.

Technology moves on, and PEX and propress systems are now the industry standard. That old man is probably spinning in his grave as I type this.

Post Likes
    It always looks appealing to me but do not do enough to warrant the cost. I know my concern is unfounded but I still find myself wondering about the o rings life.

Post Likes
    We use a ton of propress and shark bite. Ironically, both of our plumbers are old dudes and they freaking love the stuff lol. They're still blazing fast and damn near perfect every time when soldering too. As far as price, it pays for its self pretty fast when you have the really big jobs or a lot of fittings somewhere.

Post Likes
    Many hospitals in my area won't allow soldered joints all propress.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    It always looks appealing to me but do not do enough to warrant the cost. I know my concern is unfounded but I still find myself wondering about the o rings life.
    Many are here who are wondering about the o ring life.

Post Likes
    At my work it takes three to get a burn permit, two to do the work and an 8 hour fire watch. An Alarm tech. to shut down and restart smoke detection. I have three solder jobs that go back 5 months. They want me to use ProPress, but I have so little room for the rework, it's going to have to be solder.

Post Likes
    There are places that are all are still applicable even the lead ladle pot. (granted I have had to do 3 in the last 25 years). The o-rings will last longer than your work career. I love pex in old house retrofit. I really hate the thought of taking a torch inside a 120 year old wall. Propress you need some large jobs to make them pay for themselves. Propress has not been accepted by ASME yet to the best of my knowledge but I hear the approval is coming. Pex is cheapest but when you get into using the plastic fittings I question the overall life vs copper.

Post Likes
    Has anyone used Mapp Gas self lighting torches? Used one a couple years ago on a unit repipe. "They had the heating / cooling coil connections switched." It was so tight above the ceiling, I could hardly see what I was soldering. Not a single leak. I did go and shut the valves off for overnight for about two weeks; LOL. Sweet for soldering in a tight spot.

Post Likes
    We use a propress daily. It is a fantastic tool. We only had a couple fittings leak in probably 10,000 or more!

The fittings are little more expensive but the time and reliability makes up for it.

Post Likes
    We have used propess a ton when plumbing dairys. Also some at car washes. I don't recall ever having more than 2 leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    it used propress since it came out at least 20 years, on chilled,condenser,closed loop heat pump systems and now refrigeration and black pipe. haven't had any problems to speak of. the only downside is cost of the different tools and fittings. very costly for a small contractor

Post Likes
    😝😝😝 looks like crap. Used it once on a 2 inch main and loved it. I'd rather solder.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We got into pressing because a few of our school district accounts required it. We're a 2 man company and cautiously made the investment in the tooling, and it paid for itself a lot sooner than we expected. Our service work is T&M, but I imagine a flat rate shop would see an extremely fast ROI. It's not my go-to 100% of the time residentially, because of the fitting costs. But then there are times when it's the only thing I'll use. It's worth the investment. And we will not use sharkbites as a permanent fix in any customers home.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ndk1911 View Post
    We got into pressing because a few of our school district accounts required it. We're a 2 man company and cautiously made the investment in the tooling, and it paid for itself a lot sooner than we expected. Our service work is T&M, but I imagine a flat rate shop would see an extremely fast ROI. It's not my go-to 100% of the time residentially, because of the fitting costs. But then there are times when it's the only thing I'll use. It's worth the investment. And we will not use sharkbites as a permanent fix in any customers home.
    Shark bite fittings are garbage especially in the north. It is a busting point in frozen pipes and in high water pressure townships.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It's a damn shame. I think propress has a place in repair for areas where you can't use a torch. My son is a first year apprentice fitter in Local 120. Even in new construction they use propress every chance they get. He said the jobs come specced like that to save man hours. But damn the man hours you save pale in comparison to the cost of the fittings plus these young guys don't learn to master sweating pipe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in