Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Cool Hi,- All - Just wanted to Introduce Myself

I have worked as a Heating Guy for 4 yrs. , Plumber 4 Yrs. , Electrician 2 yrs. -
    Victorian Restoration Guy - 20 Plus Yrs. ( Owned Rental Property's ) 25 Yrs.

Quality Assurance - Eng Tech - Builder in the Aero Space , Machine Goods , Medical Components
    Stainless Steel - everything - Welding and Coatings . . Area's

Does this make Me a Master - to some Yes, but to most Masters I'd say No . .

I Learn something everyday , and I'd like to say Thank You to the Master's on this Site
    that Offer Their time and Experience to help all Us Brothers & Sisters . .

Post Likes

Welcome Home !

Post Likes
    Welcome to the site

James 4:10

Post Likes
    Hi - Guys

So Much Info on this Site and the Whole Industry is moving forward so much in different Area's , I can't Keep Up . .

Being in Q.A 20 Yrs. & working in all the other Area's It brings Me to See a certain perspective .

I will at Times be Point Blank in Face of the Industry , as I have seen How these Items are made and all the Human
    Manufacturing Issues that arise ..
    A Lot of My experience while in Heating was with Oil Furnaces & Boiler's

I'm in the process of Installing a XV95 and Matching 2 Stage A/C 4 Ton system - Natural Gas 100K 100% Variable . .
    seeing I was Limited on the Duct Work Experience - mostly only doing Exhuast Runs . .
    It has been a Challenge ..

As a Lead or Head Inspector in the Manufacturing Area - I dealt with a lot of Lay-Out , so I have Laid Out the Sheet Metal
    Sizes - after some Research from this Site about Air Flow and CMF Calculations etc. ..
    I'll post Up a few Photo's - I have My Photo's on Photobucket - does this Site use those type ?

This may have been talked about or Not ..

Post Likes
    Welcome

Post Likes
    Hi, Thanks ,

OK I'm Not the greatest ( Paragraph Designer ) LOL
    and I might get Thoughts a little out of Sequence , as there is so Much Ground to Cover . .
    Also , I really am the worst of Spellers .

Wish I could Edit , as that is how I do Proof Reading Corrections . .

Anyway here goes :

The Old sys is all Electric : 220 Volt and approx 75 ft from the Main 200 Amp Panel .
    It was also 4 Ton , but Only had 1 Run of Air Return which was a Boxed in 16" on Center ( Hello ) !

No Basement Return or Grill Intake on Furnace . ( Yikes )

After some thought and Input from others in My Area - I - Still didn't want to just Add a Basement Return or Furnace Grill
    This Meant an Entirely New Return had to be Installed in a Already Built and Finished Home - 1972 . . . . .

Started Figuring up what had to be done as No One - Else really wanted to take it On .
    Area Involved : Return : Directly Under the Kitchen where the Furnace Room is located ..

OK a Few Pictures :
    Area Cut In :
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hacking through the Cabinet :
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Likes
    Let Me Clear Up what I stated : Yes there were a few suggestions from outside sources about Size and Type of system
    , but when It came right down to Actually - Craving Up the Kitchen and Running a 2nd Return to get enough Air for 4 Ton
    Everyone was like - sure when I get done with this 10K - 14K or 18k System I'm doing . . . . Being a GET IT DONE - GUY .
    I went forward with No Assistants on this return . ( Duct Layout , Duct Install , Duct Calculations ) and Not in that Order ..

Pcs. I Laid_out to get to the New Furnace and furnace Room - Punching Through a Kitchen Cabinet - which had to be
    All Modded : Pipes and Wiring Moved , also the AC Coolant Lines were in the way . ( see Photo above for Coolant Line )
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Likes
    There's a Question in Here - I'm Leading Up to It with some Back Ground Info ..

Post Likes
    The Photo above should have stated - Hacking through the Flooring Also .
    OK from these Photo's Your going to see extra large Return - Trying to Maximize Air Flow . . as Old system had 1000 CFM at Best
    Hooked to a 4 Ton on a 2400 Sq. Ft Home .

Shooting for 1800 CFM out of a New 2 Stage 4 Ton / 100K - 100% Variable 2 Stage Furnace - Hoping to end up with 1600 CFM with
    Little Electrical Blower Motor Strain .

Dropped Down the Old Single 16" as it was at a 90 Degree going to Furnace Room Previously .
    [IMG][/IMG]

Designed Lower Reducer to Kick and Stagger Correctly to Miss Drain :
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Likes
    Leaving Room for Flex Install and Aligning everything like a Over Under Shot Gun - Double Barrel for Trap Shooting .

Post Likes
    Grill Entrance:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Keeping everything Smooth as I could : Feel Free to Critique Me at any time - I Often Laugh at Myself Anyhow .
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Likes
    OK - Long Story - Shortened - while very Busy and Head Occupied _ My Professional Co-Workers _ Well Knowing I was Designing and Optimizing
    for 1800 CFM _ called for Full Radius etc. ( Quick Sketch about Fitting Up to the Furnace )
    [IMG][/IMG]

Co- Workers _ Designed and Installed This : [IMG][/IMG]

If You Might Comment on all CFM Lost due to Twisted Flex and the 90's- Now Involved VS My Sketch , as I Believe
    1. My Sketch would more Eff%
    2. It would also Use Less Sheet Metal to Hook to Furnace . .
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Likes
    My Sketch should Not have appeared twice _ this sucks Not being able to Edit My Own Post . .

Third Image is what the Co- Workers designed up and Installed this Twist the Flex which did put a small crease in the lower Flex
    probably not a mentioning the 90's going into the Lower Plume and Pulling Air around the Sharpe Inside Corner Compared
    to My Sketch's Full Radius and straight ( Input ) I Believe would have flowed Better and Cost Less to Produce .
    BUT I have No Way to Test that - Plan as it wasn't Used !

Could anyone Please : Look @ at make a few Judgement Calls
    Thank You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast