Post Likes

Trane Reliatel Integration BCI-R

We are having trouble getting the Trane BCI-R to talk. Trane will only give us a new BCI-R card, but wants $$ to send out a tech. The unit is currently being controlled by the Trane zone sensor. We see a conventional thermostat interface on the RTU and are considering removing the Trane zone sensor and adding a new BACnet thermostat. Has anyone else done something similar and know of any issues? How does the Trane RTU know whether to look for the zone sensor or use the conventional interface? Will it switch over automatically? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Yeah, just put a conventional stat on the reliatel, no big deal. Probably a good idea to remove the Trane stat / sensor. Just be sure to turn the power off for a bit then re-initialize. I've got a couple of boards on my truck for emergency use. I've labeled them either conventional only or Trane only, which ever they failed to.

Post Likes
    If you decide to use the conventional terminals keep in mind that the BCI takes priority of the trane sensor terminals and the trane terminals take priority over the conventional terminals so the BCI and trane sensor must be removed before the conventional terminals will work.
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

Post Likes
    We just had a similar issue with a BCI-R shipped in a unit from Trane.

Is this a newer unit with the 3 rotary dials for the address? What is the baud rate of your network? Trane ships them at 76,800.

Trane has a free BACnet Setup Tool you can download to setup the baud rate, device id etc. Connection is with a standard USB printer cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Post Likes
    Ensure baud rate is correct as stated above. Ensure that the polarity is correct, and that the Link switch is set for BACnet and not IMC. Use the BACnet setup tool to change baud rate if necessary, as stated the default is 76,800.

If you choose to use a conventional thermostat, you'll have to remove the zone sensor and the BCI-R as mallron stated.

Post Likes
    We tried the BACnet setup tool. The baud rate and address were correct, nothing worked. We removed the trane stat and installed a BACnet conventional stat and it worked like a champ.

Post Likes
    These units ship with the BACnet points disabled (out of service), they must be enabled before you can write to them. That can be done through BACnet or through the BACnet setup tool.

Post Likes
    I have a site that I am trying to integrate a Trane BCI in to iVu. I have the tool and have opened the unit on my laptop. I have verified that all the above is correct (baud, bacnet switch, address, points open) but I still cant even see the device when I do a discovery. This device should respond to a "Who-is?" correct?

This is the last piece I need to accomplish to close out this job and would appreciate any help as to where to start looking. It looks like there is another device on the BACnet that was existing but I cannot discover that either so we will be tracing the BACnet wire next week to see what it goes to (this was an existing building that we replaced all the rooftop units except this Trane and are installing a Carrier Front-end on the building)

Post Likes
    I assume you have i-Vu v6.0 as you are installing the Carrier front-end?

Are you using an OpenLink or CCNLink to integrate the BACnet units?

What location under Installer are you attempting to discover the device (left tree above Arranged User View)?

You mentioned an existing second device on the bus, same bus as the BCI-R?

If using an OpenLink, are there Open controllers on the same comm bus?

Post Likes
    I assume you have i-Vu v6.0 as you are installing the Carrier front-end?

Yes, I have 6.0 Pro Installed

Are you using an OpenLink or CCNLink to integrate the BACnet units?

I have it connected to an Open Link

What location under Installer are you attempting to discover the device (left tree above Arranged User View)?

I am trying to discover it under BACnet Discovery in FA

You mentioned an existing second device on the bus, same bus as the BCI-R?

Yes, it appears to be on the same bus. I tried doing a discovery with out the Carrier connected and with but couldn't find anything. I also couldn't find any other devices using the Setup Tool's Discovery either.

If using an OpenLink, are there Open controllers on the same comm bus?

I have an OPN-APP(Boiler) and (6) UPC's (Carrier Rooftops) all connected to the same bus as the TRANE. I have had success in the past discovering multiple devices from different manufacturers on the same ms/tp but also tried the TRANE stand alone off of the Carrier ms/tp just in case.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you have everything correct. Are you seeing the Open devices in FA?

The discovery will not populate the third-party devices with the Open devices. Even when they are wired to the same MS/TP bus they will be on a different Network Numbers. Assuming the Router is set to Auto (default) and the rotary address at 02. The Open devices will be on Network 160002, the third-party devices will be on Network 16102. Apply to the previous to your rotary address.

There is a bulletin for Open Router/Link's (IOB15001). This typically effects Open controllers discovery in i-Vu which sets the open controllers to Network 16101 instead of 160001, which is the same network for third-party devices if the rotary address is 01. You should see the Network Number in FA.

I would flush the Link to be safe per the bulletin. Turn power off, pull all plugs with wires except power including CAT5 and set address to 01. Hold the format button down next to the LED and turn on power. Release format button after 15 seconds. Wait a minute, turn power back off. Reconnect everything, set rotary address back and power up. The IP information will not change, so no need to go in with Hyper-Terminal after a format.

If you are only doing a BACnet Discovery, you will not see the third-party devices. Once you do a BACnet Discovery, a Discovered Networks will appear on the left. Select Discovered Networks, then Devices tab and select Discover Networks. Under Discovered Networks you should now have Network 161** (** rotary address). Highlight the new network, select Devices tab and Discover Controllers to find third-party devices. You will also have a Local Network, BACnet/IP devices are under this.

Have you tried to discover directly from the server? I would also attempt to discover from the server before advance trouble-shooting. Once the Link is in the server, a commstat will show a lot of information on all the devices and networks that are binded.

Do you have CAS Explorer or WireShark? I always use these when having issues, especially wire WireShark which is free. BACnet Discovery is new with v6.0 and still rely on proven tools while trouble shooting.

Good luck, let us know what you figure out .....

Post Likes
    I ran across another BCI-R integration and had no problems at all with that one. I was able to scan it into a jace and set the points to writable with the Trane BACnet setup tool.