Post Likes

Intellistart - Waterfurnace Series 5 3 ton

What are the advantages on this option?

Claim to fame is less power consumption on start up and theoretical longer compressor life with a "soft" start.

Post Likes
    Biggest thing is won't dim the lights when compressor starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    AFAIK my lights are not dimming. I have a 400 amp service with most of the 220-240 breakers in the same box.

Post Likes
    By having a lower starting load it can tolerate being used with a generator in the event of a power outage.

Post Likes
    OK KD that is good to know.

However does it indeed save power on start up? If so, can it be quantified in annual savings.

Lastly, does it extend compressor life with a soft start?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    OK KD that is good to know.

However does it indeed save power on start up? If so, can it be quantified in annual savings.

Lastly, does it extend compressor life with a soft start?
    I can give you an example, I had a customer with a 6 ton econar water to water that was trying
    to start the machine with a 25 kw generator. It would not do it, as I recall the unit was pulling about
    120 amps at start up. We added an intellistart made by Waterfurnace and the generator started and
    ran it with no issues. Im going on memory here but as I recall the start up amperage was in the 50 amp range. The compressor also was much quieter as well. Waterfurnace does not encourage selling
    the unit as a money saving device as the inrush current while cut in half or less, is very brief.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by softail124 View Post
    I can give you an example, I had a customer with a 6 ton econar water to water that was trying
    to start the machine with a 25 kw generator. It would not do it, as I recall the unit was pulling about
    120 amps at start up. We added an intellistart made by Waterfurnace and the generator started and
    ran it with no issues. Im going on memory here but as I recall the start up amperage was in the 50 amp range. The compressor also was much quieter as well. Waterfurnace does not encourage selling
    the unit as a money saving device as the inrush current while cut in half or less, is very brief.
    2 true.... the purpose is to reduce start-up "wear and tear and ease" and also "quiet" operation. They won't tell you how it works, they only say "magic", but I have spoken to folks who have used it on other machines and they are pleased.

Post Likes
    for single phase soft starters reduce start-up current, about 70%, but still provides full start-up torque for compressors and motors. This eliminates light flicker, reduce start-up noise, and extend the life of the motor or compressor. Single phase soft starters are suitable for 1.75 to 7 horse power (hp) motors in the 220/230V models and are suitable between 0.75 to 1.75 hp for the 115V models. quoted from www.hypereng.com