Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I have a business acquaintance who has filed 39 patents over the years, and while only a few of them have been particularly profitable, the ones that have done well have done extremely well (millions in sales). If anyone has a real situation, I'd be happy to talk to you and get in touch with him. I'm sure he'd be able to give very specific (free) advice to you. Just happy to share that connection, he has been helpful to me.

2. Likes ronaldroth liked this post
    Post Likes
    Good to see this old post get bumped. I would be interested in corresponding with your friend, and thank you.

Post Likes
    Sent you a PM.

Post Likes
    Huh, maybe I can't actually do that unless I've added you as a friend. Trying that. If that doesn't work, let's find another way to connect so we can chat via email. Before I introduce you, it would be good to know a bit so I'm not introducing him to a stranger...

Thanks!

Post Likes
    I recommend the use of a patent agent rather than a patent lawyer. Their billing rate is about 1/3rd of that of a lawyer and they are more technical based. I have one that I found via LinkedIn.

Ron

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldroth View Post
    I recommend the use of a patent agent rather than a patent lawyer. Their billing rate is about 1/3rd of that of a lawyer and they are more technical based. I have one that I found via LinkedIn.

Ron
    That's interesting. I haven't heard of a Patent Agent, but will look into it. I've used 2 patent attorneys in the past with mixed results. The first patent attorney basically just converted my lack of knowledge about the patent process into a quick $2500. He compiled a patent application for my invention (automotive exhaust system), mostly using my documentation, but wrote he wrote the claims himself. He didn't explain what the significance or importance the claims had at that time, so I just said "okay, looks good to me", and he filed it. A few months after that, he informed me that we had taken a job as a patent inspector at the US patent office, so he wouldn't be able to represent me for the remainder of the patent process. A few months after that, I was notified that my patent was denied with a list of reasons related to the way the claims were worded. Then I hired another patent attorney, who helped fix the claims at a cost of $8000. The amended application was successful, and the patent was granted. However, as others in this thread have pointed out, patents don't create revenue, so I am deeply in the red

8. Likes ronaldroth liked this post
    Post Likes
    This is very interesting difference that most people are not aware. I was looking at some patent applications and was looking for the "best route" to do so. Here are some definitions for those interested:

A patent agent is an individual who has passed the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s (USPTO) Patent Bar, and is registered with the USPTO to prepare, file, and prosecute patent applications on behalf of his or her clients. Because most inventions are based on science or engineering ideas, the USPTO requires a patent agent to possess a background in either science or engineering before taking the Patent Bar.

A patent attorney has graduated from law school and has passed both a state bar and the USPTO’s Patent Bar. In addition to practice at the Patent Office, a patent attorney can also practice before the Trademark Office, advise clients about contracts, and participate in courtroom trials, inter alia. A patent agent often comes to the legal field with significantly more technical education in either science or engineering. Although a patent agent practices only patent law at the USPTO, because of greater technical expertise, and equivalent ability to practice before the USPTO’s Patent Office, many law firms and legal departments prefer to hire patent agents instead of patent attorneys.

In my opinion -- I prefer a patent agent as they are more technical based.

Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12