Post Likes

Open loop piping Geothermal

I have been out of Residential for maybe 5 years now. I was wondering if this was common. A friend has a open loop system that is piped off the outlet of his well pump for his domestic water. So when the heat pump runs, a zone valve opens dropping the water pressure on his bladder tank. This causes the pump to run, short cycling the whole time its on. The water is drained back into the well..

The other issue is the changes in the delta t across the coaxial.
    Also he does not use his water softner because he would be putting truckloads of salt in it.
    Ever hear of this setup?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Most areas will not allow you to return the water to the well. He should convert that to a closed loop in my opinion for reliabilities sake alone. A good closed loop system will most likely last a lot longer also as it is not constantly receiving new scale.
    Yes, I've seen that before and it doesn't mean I like it.

Post Likes
    How would you convert it? Dig wells and install piping?

I was thinking about installing a brazed plate heat exchanger and pump to at least give the heat pump something better to work with. I had 35* water entering last night....
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    I think closed loop wells would be the best choice. I have a "pump and dump" customer and there are always issues with water quality and supply. Unless you well has a quite substantial flow, it will continue to get colder as you return the colder water to it.
    Yes, I've seen that before and it doesn't mean I like it.

Post Likes
    You need to restrict the flow of the water going into the heat pump and make sure the well pump is big enough to run the heat pump. I think its like 3gpm per ton of system.

Post Likes
    Adding a "cycle stop" valve to the inlet side of the bladder tank will keep a constant pressure on the pump, not allowing it to satisfy during the demand for water. There is nothing wrong with discharging the water back into a well....but not the same well as the supply water. Without the use of a porter shroud and setting the pump at the top of the well, not to mention having the well deep enough to make sure the water temp comes back to 50degrees or so, you can affect the incoming water temp to the point of setting off freeze protection. I would start at the cycle stop valve, pretty inexpensive for what it does. Make sure that the softner does not treat the geo supply water...I have this same set up at my house and never have an issue, but i discharge into a wet lands

Post Likes
    Also restrict the flow to 2 gpm per ton of the system....you can tweak it with a ball valve to make sure you are getting a good heat exchange

Post Likes
    I am not a pump and dump fan, but have a lot of customers running that way. We are in Texas, and it is a little different, but I am always suspicious when I walk onto an existing "pump and dump" job. First of all, I normally see way too much water flow. Most manufactureres tell you 1.5 gpm/ton is good, With really cold ground water you may need 2 gpm. I usually find that it is better to reduce pressure before the unit to about 15-20 psi. This limits flow and noise. Then you need to verify actual gpm which is generally done measiring pressure drop across the coax coil and comparing to a chart from the manufacturer. As far as dumping water back into the well, .... it will not generally work at the same well, since it it overchill or overheat the well water. Usually is goes to another well or pond. As a previous post says, well laws may restrict dumping into a well.