Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    In my opinion, if the ducts are that bad, replace them. Clean the coil and air handler effectively. Fit the system with a 4" or 6" pleated filter that seals properly in the filter rack. In my opinion, duct cleaning is mostly an add on sale revenue generator that appeals to germophobes and allergy sufferers. We all know most of the dirt in a duct system pretty much stays put unless it is disturbed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    In my opinion, if the ducts are that bad, replace them. Clean the coil and air handler effectively. Fit the system with a 4" or 6" pleated filter that seals properly in the filter rack. In my opinion, duct cleaning is mostly an add on sale revenue generator that appeals to germophobes and allergy sufferers. We all know most of the dirt in a duct system pretty much stays put unless it is disturbed.
    Is that what you told your mama when she told you to clean your room?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    Is that what you told your mama when she told you to clean your room?
    He should've told his mama he’d clean his room for $99 dollars. Then went out to the garage and grabbed his dad’s leaf blower and cleaned his room with it.

Once the cleaning was done he’d go back to his mama and tell her she owes him $659 dollars for cleaning his bedroom. The $99 dollars was for a 6’x6’ bedroom. His room is 8’x8’ and there’s an additional $20/sq ft. charge for larger rooms.
    "I’m an actor… I do a job and I go home. Why are you interested in me? You don’t ask a truck driver about his job."
    James Gandolfini

4. Likes lumberg liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    Well you may be right every one has a right to their opinion. But we are a professional air duct cleaning company. We belong to a network of duct cleaners (duct cleaner network) http://www.ductcleanersnetwork.org/ some of our members has a million dollar business cleaning ducts. One gentlemen that we purchase our equipment runs 6 trucks a day and they don't leave the lot unless they are making $1000 a day. We have the right equipment and it is setting us apart form the chuck in the truck guys.
    Every one have a good day, ART

Post Likes
    $1,000 dollars a day is nothing, I’ve seen a company that made more than that per job. This duct cleaning company would advertise $99 dollar whole house duct cleaning. They would then do the work and hand the customer a bill for well over a thousand dollars. After going through scripted conversations on the phone with the manager and threatening the homeowner with litigation, they agree to take hundreds off the bill but still end up collecting over a thousand dollars on the job. Once they’ve saturated the market they pack up shop and move to a different city and start over again.

I’ve also worked in the past for a company that used the Roto Brush method. I know for a fact that all the guys ever did was run it down the main trunks a couple times and then take a shop vac to all the registers. They did video inspection but all that proved is the area they chose to show the customer was cleaned. For all I know that’s what you did with the photos you posted here. This company never had a single complaint about the quality of their duct cleaning. Yet every customer would have had a legitimate gripe if they had known what they got in return for their money.

So I’ve only ever experienced consumers getting ripped off by duct cleaning. My intuition is that this is the norm when it comes to the duct cleaning industry. My thinking is that the duct cleaning equipment being used is only part of a quality duct cleaning job. You would also need to maintain the equipment to keep it working effectively. And most importantly you would need employees that are passionate about doing a good job. This last part to me would seem near impossible to achieve.

I just can’t believe that there are employees out there that can’t wait to get to work and run a giant vacuum all day. Employees who have a personal vendetta against dust and won’t be satisfied leaving the home until every duct joint is dust free. From my experience every technician has hated duct cleaning with a passion. The best way to wreck a guy’s morning was to let him know that duct cleaning was sold on the job he was going out to.

I could see a one man duct cleaning company doing a good job if they did have the right equipment and a passion for it. But even if they do a great job cleaning the ducts I find it hard to believe that there was a significant improvement to the indoor air quality when they're done. In my opinion all the advertising I see for duct cleaning that makes the claim it will give allergy and asthma relief is BS.

To Art and anyone else that considers themself a duct cleaning professional I would like to know how much positive feedback you get from your clients. For example, do you have repeat clients that experience health issues if they go too long without your services? And once you come out to do a cleaning they notice significant relief from allergies and asthma. I wonder if any of you are brave enough to follow up with each client and ask them if they’ve experienced any noticeable improvements to their health since the ducts were cleaned. I would appreciate any honest feedback.

As of right now, I think the money that people spend on duct cleaning could be better spent on other areas of the home and HVAC system. Improvements that actually deliver noticeable results.
    "I’m an actor… I do a job and I go home. Why are you interested in me? You don’t ask a truck driver about his job."
    James Gandolfini

Post Likes
    We use an outfit called Total Ventilation Hygine.
    http://www.tvhs.com.au

Guys know what they are doing as its all they do ,,, in some cases where mould has taken over they then go into the treat mode ,, not just a clean but a whole treat & paint.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    $1,000 dollars a day is nothing, I’ve seen a company that made more than that per job. This duct cleaning company would advertise $99 dollar whole house duct cleaning. They would then do the work and hand the customer a bill for well over a thousand dollars. After going through scripted conversations on the phone with the manager and threatening the homeowner with litigation, they agree to take hundreds off the bill but still end up collecting over a thousand dollars on the job. Once they’ve saturated the market they pack up shop and move to a different city and start over again.

I’ve also worked in the past for a company that used the Roto Brush method. I know for a fact that all the guys ever did was run it down the main trunks a couple times and then take a shop vac to all the registers. They did video inspection but all that proved is the area they chose to show the customer was cleaned. For all I know that’s what you did with the photos you posted here. This company never had a single complaint about the quality of their duct cleaning. Yet every customer would have had a legitimate gripe if they had known what they got in return for their money.

So I’ve only ever experienced consumers getting ripped off by duct cleaning. My intuition is that this is the norm when it comes to the duct cleaning industry. My thinking is that the duct cleaning equipment being used is only part of a quality duct cleaning job. You would also need to maintain the equipment to keep it working effectively. And most importantly you would need employees that are passionate about doing a good job. This last part to me would seem near impossible to achieve.

I just can’t believe that there are employees out there that can’t wait to get to work and run a giant vacuum all day. Employees who have a personal vendetta against dust and won’t be satisfied leaving the home until every duct joint is dust free. From my experience every technician has hated duct cleaning with a passion. The best way to wreck a guy’s morning was to let him know that duct cleaning was sold on the job he was going out to.

I could see a one man duct cleaning company doing a good job if they did have the right equipment and a passion for it. But even if they do a great job cleaning the ducts I find it hard to believe that there was a significant improvement to the indoor air quality when they're done. In my opinion all the advertising I see for duct cleaning that makes the claim it will give allergy and asthma relief is BS.

To Art and anyone else that considers themself a duct cleaning professional I would like to know how much positive feedback you get from your clients. For example, do you have repeat clients that experience health issues if they go too long without your services? And once you come out to do a cleaning they notice significant relief from allergies and asthma. I wonder if any of you are brave enough to follow up with each client and ask them if they’ve experienced any noticeable improvements to their health since the ducts were cleaned. I would appreciate any honest feedback.

As of right now, I think the money that people spend on duct cleaning could be better spent on other areas of the home and HVAC system. Improvements that actually deliver noticeable results.
    You are correct in assuming duct cleaning sucks and no one in heir right mind would want to do this exclusively.

We are a two man shop and are very motivated to do everything right.

We run a 35 hp trailer mounted 10,000 CFM with air compressor to drive the whips. It is necessary to go into the attic and cut access points to whip the entire system. We zone the duct system with furniture foam to get maximum sucking power. It is meticulous work that takes at least 6 man hours if your are really moving. Some systems cannot be done correctly. We charge $350-$550 and have an online estimator...chaseair.net/services

It is the least fun thing I do, I'd rather do maintenance, my next least fun thing to do. It is rewarding of you do the job properly and no I could not see many employees doing it with he same attention to detail. It's really like becoming a house cleaner for a day.

I tell people on the estimate it usually does not need to be done, but looking at the returns hat are unfiltered, most people want them cleaned, which we can do a pretty good job. Usually it is a package of duct cleaning, coil pull and clean and merv 11 filters 4".

If you can't do duct cleaning, you miss out on a whole market.

Post Likes
    I get it that many people want their ducts to be cleaned simply because the return ductwork has some dust accumulation. Even if they know there’s no IAQ benefit.

If I lived inside my return air ducts I’d want them cleaned. But since I live on the other side of the filter I don’t care. It’s hard for me to believe that the dust that’s lodged in the return air ducts is causing health issues in my home. How can I be breathing in dust through my nose if it’s currently stuck to the walls of my ductwork?

I’ve learnt that to be successful at selling you need to believe in what you’re selling. If I could find some proof that homeowners are experiencing health benefits or less dust in the home after duct cleaning then I would be more inclined to purchase equipment and start picking up a piece of that market.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    You are correct in assuming duct cleaning sucks and no one in heir right mind would want to do this exclusively.

We are a two man shop and are very motivated to do everything right.

We run a 35 hp trailer mounted 10,000 CFM with air compressor to drive the whips. It is necessary to go into the attic and cut access points to whip the entire system. We zone the duct system with furniture foam to get maximum sucking power. It is meticulous work that takes at least 6 man hours if your are really moving. Some systems cannot be done correctly. We charge $350-$550 and have an online estimator...chaseair.net/services

It is the least fun thing I do, I'd rather do maintenance, my next least fun thing to do. It is rewarding of you do the job properly and no I could not see many employees doing it with he same attention to detail. It's really like becoming a house cleaner for a day.

I tell people on the estimate it usually does not need to be done, but looking at the returns hat are unfiltered, most people want them cleaned, which we can do a pretty good job. Usually it is a package of duct cleaning, coil pull and clean and merv 11 filters 4".

If you can't do duct cleaning, you miss out on a whole market.
    James Gandolfini

Post Likes
    I will try to address some of these issue that you guys has brought up.

You guys that have mention that people being charge 1000 bucks for a BS cleaning. And scam people out of money. Believe me this is not the first time I have heard this, even I have to change the thinking of local guys.

First there is scam artist in all professional, people are over charged for things that should not have happen. For example something that happen to me. I had a electrical board go out of my furnace, I contacted a local hvac company that came out to trouble shoot and tell me the brain went out of my unit, and the price to replace was $800 so we paid it and moved on. 3 years later the furnace was doing the same thing. This time I called a brother firefighter that had his own business. He came out and confirm the brain had gone out. I told him great, I don't have 800 bucks. He laugh and said hang on, went to his truck made a call came back and said it will be $140 for part and insulation WTF why so cheap. He explain that the people that charged me 800 got the same part from the same place. 500% mark up. Are you kidding me so with that life experience should I say that all hvac companies are crooks, and take advantage of the consumer. Of course not, but I don't believe you should charge a ridiculous price just because they can. I was told there a few parts that prices are inflated by most HVAC companies. I call BS!

I have contacted people that has have there ducts clean and ask how things going. And a lot of them have stated the breathing problem has ease up. Now, is this really change there IAQ or is this a psychosomatic reaction, who knows, who cares they are happy. Check out my Facebook page for some testimonial.

I will state some facts that I have found out and you can confirm. The EPA will not confirm and deny that air duct cleaning will improve IAQ. But, any new building being built under a LEED project the last step in this process is to have the ducts cleaned if the diffusers were not covered up after insulation. For the tax break ducts need cleaned. We just egisters as a veteran owned business with the government. There was a job awarded to a company to clean two building ducts at the Navy training center in Michigan. The awarded bid was $90,000. Coast Guard uses duct cleaning companies to clean there ducts aboard their cutters. SOOOOOOOOOOOO If this was a BS service why so much money being spent by your tax dollars.

We do a lot of work with restoration companies that the insurance companies require the ducts from a fire or mold damage home be cleaned. Now we cannot clean flex or fiberboard that has been damage by fire or mold. But metal can be cleaned. We are working with a company that has ask for assistance in a mold job at a local restaurant. This a national food chain that I'm sure they are in your town. But the insurance company is requesting a cleaning and sealing process. If this is not a affective process why would the insurance companies spend their money. We all know they wont spend a dime if they don't have to. The software that insurance adjuster uses (Xactimate) that was written by State Farm, has duct prices cleaning in it.

1000 dollar a day from a respectable company providing a quality work is good money. We are between 700 - 1000 a day at this point with one truck.

In closing, duct cleaning is not a scam if done by a company that's has the right equipment and proper training. My equipment moves 15,000 cfm of vacuum and has a two stage Ingersoll rand compressor with 200 psi of air. All running off a 65hp Wisconsin motor. As far employees goes I do have good guys that do good work. The guys that I know in my networking group all have good employees working for them. It is my responsibility to hire good people that want to do this job. I pay good money and still make a profit. I'm sure there are some highly train HVAC guys don't want to clean ducts, is it because it is beneath them. I have HVAC companies tell me they don't want to do duct cleaning, OK give me the work. THANK YOU! Anyone that uses a rotobrush is a joke. NADCA has a clear and define process (putting system under vacuum and use a air agitating tool).

Have a good day, ART

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue Duct View Post
    I will try to address some of these issue that you guys has brought up.

You guys that have mention that people being charge 1000 bucks for a BS cleaning. And scam people out of money. Believe me this is not the first time I have heard this, even I have to change the thinking of local guys.

First there is scam artist in all professional, people are over charged for things that should not have happen. For example something that happen to me. I had a electrical board go out of my furnace, I contacted a local hvac company that came out to trouble shoot and tell me the brain went out of my unit, and the price to replace was $800 so we paid it and moved on. 3 years later the furnace was doing the same thing. This time I called a brother firefighter that had his own business. He came out and confirm the brain had gone out. I told him great, I don't have 800 bucks. He laugh and said hang on, went to his truck made a call came back and said it will be $140 for part and insulation WTF why so cheap. He explain that the people that charged me 800 got the same part from the same place. 500% mark up. Are you kidding me so with that life experience should I say that all hvac companies are crooks, and take advantage of the consumer. Of course not, but I don't believe you should charge a ridiculous price just because they can. I was told there a few parts that prices are inflated by most HVAC companies. I call BS!

I have contacted people that has have there ducts clean and ask how things going. And a lot of them have stated the breathing problem has ease up. Now, is this really change there IAQ or is this a psychosomatic reaction, who knows, who cares they are happy. Check out my Facebook page for some testimonial.

I will state some facts that I have found out and you can confirm. The EPA will not confirm and deny that air duct cleaning will improve IAQ. But, any new building being built under a LEED project the last step in this process is to have the ducts cleaned if the diffusers were not covered up after insulation. For the tax break ducts need cleaned. We just egisters as a veteran owned business with the government. There was a job awarded to a company to clean two building ducts at the Navy training center in Michigan. The awarded bid was $90,000. Coast Guard uses duct cleaning companies to clean there ducts aboard their cutters. SOOOOOOOOOOOO If this was a BS service why so much money being spent by your tax dollars.

We do a lot of work with restoration companies that the insurance companies require the ducts from a fire or mold damage home be cleaned. Now we cannot clean flex or fiberboard that has been damage by fire or mold. But metal can be cleaned. We are working with a company that has ask for assistance in a mold job at a local restaurant. This a national food chain that I'm sure they are in your town. But the insurance company is requesting a cleaning and sealing process. If this is not a affective process why would the insurance companies spend their money. We all know they wont spend a dime if they don't have to. The software that insurance adjuster uses (Xactimate) that was written by State Farm, has duct prices cleaning in it.

1000 dollar a day from a respectable company providing a quality work is good money. We are between 700 - 1000 a day at this point with one truck.

In closing, duct cleaning is not a scam if done by a company that's has the right equipment and proper training. My equipment moves 15,000 cfm of vacuum and has a two stage Ingersoll rand compressor with 200 psi of air. All running off a 65hp Wisconsin motor. As far employees goes I do have good guys that do good work. The guys that I know in my networking group all have good employees working for them. It is my responsibility to hire good people that want to do this job. I pay good money and still make a profit. I'm sure there are some highly train HVAC guys don't want to clean ducts, is it because it is beneath them. I have HVAC companies tell me they don't want to do duct cleaning, OK give me the work. THANK YOU! Anyone that uses a rotobrush is a joke. NADCA has a clear and define process (putting system under vacuum and use a air agitating tool).

Have a good day, ART
    My machine only has a 35 hp Wisconsin engine, I have duct cleaner envy. It runs somewhat rough too, I think it needs a major overhaul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Chase Air, When was the last time you change the plugs we change like every 100 hours.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue Duct View Post
    Chase Air, When was the last time you change the plugs we change like every 100 hours.
    Changed them, was wondering if maybe have someone set timing and replace distributor cap, we have no idea how old this Ebay special was. Love the machine tho, can't imagine trying to use an abatement machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Chase might check that, I know these motors are common in farm equipment. These things are rock stars, ours started ever time this past winter even in sub-zero temps. Pull the choke turn key it starts first time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast