Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Air Duct Cleaning Info

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, In
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes

    Air Duct Cleaning Info

    Good day I'm new to the forum, but I have been reading a lot of post about duct cleaning. One of the biggest issue we have in our profession is education. First let me start off we are a professional air duct cleaning company. We don't clean carpets, drapes, we are not a HVAC company that adds this service to our customers. We do air ducts, we have cleaned fiber board, flex and hard pipe.

    First issue is the equipment used to clean the ducts and the procedure to clean. We have equipment that was built and design to clean air ducts. We have a truck mount vacuum system; our unit is powered by a Wisconsin 65 HP gasoline engine delivering 15,000 CFM. Our two stage air compressor gives us 200 psi + of continuous pressure.

    If a guy shows up with a brush on the end of a shop vac, send him away. According to a national standard the system must be placed under vacuum. This system can not make the turns needed to clean the entire system. According to the national standard the entire system must be cleaned, main trunk line also. We cleaned a home a few weeks ago that was cleaned by a national franchise company. We found the access hole in the furnace but there wasn't any in the main trunk. When we cleaned the main trunk we heard a LOT of debris going through our suction hose. To clean a home it should take 3-4 hours.

    When we clean flex and fiber board we reduce the psi so not to damage the duct work. (see photos).

    In closing when hiring a air duct cleaning company please do your home work and hire a professional air duct cleaning company. The government is slowly recognizing the need for air duct cleaning. I know the EPA can not confirm or deny the benefit of air duct cleaning. But when building a new building if it is a LEED project, the last thing that needs to be completed is the ducts being cleaned, if the diffuser were not tape over. Costumers we have cleaned with allergies have stated they believe the indoor air quality has been improve. Now is this may be a psychological response, but after showing them before and after photos we have cleaned there ducts. When completed we talk about filtration systems and other HVAC improvements like leaking ducts etc.

    Hope everyone have a MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a profitable new year.

    CHEERS, ART
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    4,595
    Post Likes
    I have vacuum envy....I have a 35 hp Wisconsin engine on my rig, amazing how much vacuum I lose...can't imagine an electric powered hepa vac could do anything.

    Agreed if you are going to do anything, do it the best you possibly can....I badmouth that shop vac with the spinny thing on it also.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, In
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Chase Air thanks we are running the Heat Seal System. Here is a couple of photos of our equipment. Also we just cleaned out our dirt hopper. And the last photo is what we found in the dirt, have no ideal what house we got it from. Now that is vacuum. We suck Patrick right out of their ducts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  4. Likes Scott Kline liked this post.
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    7,956
    Post Likes
    I usually disparage duct cleaning because those in our area don't have the proper equipment. From your pictures, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend your work.

  6. Likes Scott Kline liked this post.
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, In
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Kdean 1 ~ Thank you for the kind words, that is what helping our business to grow. We do work for several HVAC companies, our equipment and professionalism sells our work. Happy Holidays, ART

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,625
    Post Likes
    I used to do duct cleaning. Was trained by Indoor Air Professionals. I have to say, 'that is some nice work there!'

    I still hate the duct cleaning process.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    4,595
    Post Likes
    How much do you charge? I have an online estimator for the service and am twice as much as nearest competition, they use a very weak abatement 2000 and do not zone the ducts when cleaning

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, In
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    We have a base price then a per registers charge. Feel free to contact via email with your number I rather discuss this over the phone. Not a big secret just rather not post it. Thanks ART

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    216
    Post Likes
    too bad you weren't in the Chicago area. we need someone who knows how to do duct work around here.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, In
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    We can but there would a mileage charge,

    Happy New Year, ART

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, In
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    We can but there would a mileage charge,

    Happy New Year, ART

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    249
    Post Likes
    Nice before and after pictures, it looks like your company is part of that very small minority that does a great job cleaning air ducts.

    But I'd also like to see a picture taken of those return air ducts 3 and 6 months later. In a dusty home they will probably be full of dust again. Is it worth paying a premium price to have some clean air ducts for just a short period of time?
    "I’m an actor… I do a job and I go home. Why are you interested in me? You don’t ask a truck driver about his job."
    James Gandolfini

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, In
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    The first photo of flex ducts is a buddy of mine 4 kids 3 dogs. We cleaned his last summer. I will go and get some photos this spring and post it on here and we will see. Thanks ART

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,372
    Post Likes
    In my opinion, if the ducts are that bad, replace them. Clean the coil and air handler effectively. Fit the system with a 4" or 6" pleated filter that seals properly in the filter rack. In my opinion, duct cleaning is mostly an add on sale revenue generator that appeals to germophobes and allergy sufferers. We all know most of the dirt in a duct system pretty much stays put unless it is disturbed.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    4,595
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    In my opinion, if the ducts are that bad, replace them. Clean the coil and air handler effectively. Fit the system with a 4" or 6" pleated filter that seals properly in the filter rack. In my opinion, duct cleaning is mostly an add on sale revenue generator that appeals to germophobes and allergy sufferers. We all know most of the dirt in a duct system pretty much stays put unless it is disturbed.
    Is that what you told your mama when she told you to clean your room?

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    249
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    Is that what you told your mama when she told you to clean your room?
    He should've told his mama he’d clean his room for $99 dollars. Then went out to the garage and grabbed his dad’s leaf blower and cleaned his room with it.

    Once the cleaning was done he’d go back to his mama and tell her she owes him $659 dollars for cleaning his bedroom. The $99 dollars was for a 6’x6’ bedroom. His room is 8’x8’ and there’s an additional $20/sq ft. charge for larger rooms.
    "I’m an actor… I do a job and I go home. Why are you interested in me? You don’t ask a truck driver about his job."
    James Gandolfini

  19. Likes lumberg liked this post.
  20. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis, In
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    In my opinion, if the ducts are that bad, replace them. Clean the coil and air handler effectively. Fit the system with a 4" or 6" pleated filter that seals properly in the filter rack. In my opinion, duct cleaning is mostly an add on sale revenue generator that appeals to germophobes and allergy sufferers. We all know most of the dirt in a duct system pretty much stays put unless it is disturbed.
    Well you may be right every one has a right to their opinion. But we are a professional air duct cleaning company. We belong to a network of duct cleaners (duct cleaner network) http://www.ductcleanersnetwork.org/ some of our members has a million dollar business cleaning ducts. One gentlemen that we purchase our equipment runs 6 trucks a day and they don't leave the lot unless they are making $1000 a day. We have the right equipment and it is setting us apart form the chuck in the truck guys.
    Every one have a good day, ART

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    249
    Post Likes
    $1,000 dollars a day is nothing, I’ve seen a company that made more than that per job. This duct cleaning company would advertise $99 dollar whole house duct cleaning. They would then do the work and hand the customer a bill for well over a thousand dollars. After going through scripted conversations on the phone with the manager and threatening the homeowner with litigation, they agree to take hundreds off the bill but still end up collecting over a thousand dollars on the job. Once they’ve saturated the market they pack up shop and move to a different city and start over again.

    I’ve also worked in the past for a company that used the Roto Brush method. I know for a fact that all the guys ever did was run it down the main trunks a couple times and then take a shop vac to all the registers. They did video inspection but all that proved is the area they chose to show the customer was cleaned. For all I know that’s what you did with the photos you posted here. This company never had a single complaint about the quality of their duct cleaning. Yet every customer would have had a legitimate gripe if they had known what they got in return for their money.

    So I’ve only ever experienced consumers getting ripped off by duct cleaning. My intuition is that this is the norm when it comes to the duct cleaning industry. My thinking is that the duct cleaning equipment being used is only part of a quality duct cleaning job. You would also need to maintain the equipment to keep it working effectively. And most importantly you would need employees that are passionate about doing a good job. This last part to me would seem near impossible to achieve.

    I just can’t believe that there are employees out there that can’t wait to get to work and run a giant vacuum all day. Employees who have a personal vendetta against dust and won’t be satisfied leaving the home until every duct joint is dust free. From my experience every technician has hated duct cleaning with a passion. The best way to wreck a guy’s morning was to let him know that duct cleaning was sold on the job he was going out to.

    I could see a one man duct cleaning company doing a good job if they did have the right equipment and a passion for it. But even if they do a great job cleaning the ducts I find it hard to believe that there was a significant improvement to the indoor air quality when they're done. In my opinion all the advertising I see for duct cleaning that makes the claim it will give allergy and asthma relief is BS.

    To Art and anyone else that considers themself a duct cleaning professional I would like to know how much positive feedback you get from your clients. For example, do you have repeat clients that experience health issues if they go too long without your services? And once you come out to do a cleaning they notice significant relief from allergies and asthma. I wonder if any of you are brave enough to follow up with each client and ask them if they’ve experienced any noticeable improvements to their health since the ducts were cleaned. I would appreciate any honest feedback.

    As of right now, I think the money that people spend on duct cleaning could be better spent on other areas of the home and HVAC system. Improvements that actually deliver noticeable results.
    "I’m an actor… I do a job and I go home. Why are you interested in me? You don’t ask a truck driver about his job."
    James Gandolfini

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Australia : Queensland
    Posts
    1,859
    Post Likes
    We use an outfit called Total Ventilation Hygine.
    http://www.tvhs.com.au

    Guys know what they are doing as its all they do ,,, in some cases where mould has taken over they then go into the treat mode ,, not just a clean but a whole treat & paint.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

  23. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    4,595
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    $1,000 dollars a day is nothing, I’ve seen a company that made more than that per job. This duct cleaning company would advertise $99 dollar whole house duct cleaning. They would then do the work and hand the customer a bill for well over a thousand dollars. After going through scripted conversations on the phone with the manager and threatening the homeowner with litigation, they agree to take hundreds off the bill but still end up collecting over a thousand dollars on the job. Once they’ve saturated the market they pack up shop and move to a different city and start over again.

    I’ve also worked in the past for a company that used the Roto Brush method. I know for a fact that all the guys ever did was run it down the main trunks a couple times and then take a shop vac to all the registers. They did video inspection but all that proved is the area they chose to show the customer was cleaned. For all I know that’s what you did with the photos you posted here. This company never had a single complaint about the quality of their duct cleaning. Yet every customer would have had a legitimate gripe if they had known what they got in return for their money.

    So I’ve only ever experienced consumers getting ripped off by duct cleaning. My intuition is that this is the norm when it comes to the duct cleaning industry. My thinking is that the duct cleaning equipment being used is only part of a quality duct cleaning job. You would also need to maintain the equipment to keep it working effectively. And most importantly you would need employees that are passionate about doing a good job. This last part to me would seem near impossible to achieve.

    I just can’t believe that there are employees out there that can’t wait to get to work and run a giant vacuum all day. Employees who have a personal vendetta against dust and won’t be satisfied leaving the home until every duct joint is dust free. From my experience every technician has hated duct cleaning with a passion. The best way to wreck a guy’s morning was to let him know that duct cleaning was sold on the job he was going out to.

    I could see a one man duct cleaning company doing a good job if they did have the right equipment and a passion for it. But even if they do a great job cleaning the ducts I find it hard to believe that there was a significant improvement to the indoor air quality when they're done. In my opinion all the advertising I see for duct cleaning that makes the claim it will give allergy and asthma relief is BS.

    To Art and anyone else that considers themself a duct cleaning professional I would like to know how much positive feedback you get from your clients. For example, do you have repeat clients that experience health issues if they go too long without your services? And once you come out to do a cleaning they notice significant relief from allergies and asthma. I wonder if any of you are brave enough to follow up with each client and ask them if they’ve experienced any noticeable improvements to their health since the ducts were cleaned. I would appreciate any honest feedback.

    As of right now, I think the money that people spend on duct cleaning could be better spent on other areas of the home and HVAC system. Improvements that actually deliver noticeable results.
    You are correct in assuming duct cleaning sucks and no one in heir right mind would want to do this exclusively.

    We are a two man shop and are very motivated to do everything right.

    We run a 35 hp trailer mounted 10,000 CFM with air compressor to drive the whips. It is necessary to go into the attic and cut access points to whip the entire system. We zone the duct system with furniture foam to get maximum sucking power. It is meticulous work that takes at least 6 man hours if your are really moving. Some systems cannot be done correctly. We charge $350-$550 and have an online estimator...chaseair.net/services



    It is the least fun thing I do, I'd rather do maintenance, my next least fun thing to do. It is rewarding of you do the job properly and no I could not see many employees doing it with he same attention to detail. It's really like becoming a house cleaner for a day.

    I tell people on the estimate it usually does not need to be done, but looking at the returns hat are unfiltered, most people want them cleaned, which we can do a pretty good job. Usually it is a package of duct cleaning, coil pull and clean and merv 11 filters 4".

    If you can't do duct cleaning, you miss out on a whole market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •