Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    3195 on 1500 sf is really leaky. 43 rh at 25 on a really leaky house is very dangerous, expect mold an rot on the upper interstitial spaces.

A company worth its salt will have a target, wag would be 1500-2000. Have a bonus if they get below 1800 and a penalty if they don't get to 2300.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brentvw View Post
    Thanks all for the thoughtful replies. I figured the house might be 18,000 cu. ft. based on a 750 sq. foot basement at 7' high, and the first and 2nd story (1500sq) at 8 ft high (2nd story is a little bit smaller as it has a dormer not a full floor). I read somewhere that 10 ACH isn't so bad, I recall the energy auditors saying if we tightened up the house we may have to start bringing more fresh air in with a controlled fashion, so you can see between the cost and fighting these two forces, I felt like George Banks from father of the bride where they moved the furniture out, then brought in chairs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFNlqU72wpY&t=0m50s)

I definitely value comfort first and energy. The 40%+ has prevented nose bleeds, but on cold days the humidifier and fan will run 24/7. The auditors recommended we air seal, caulk, and blow more insulation, but because it's a bungalow a good portion of the walls were not accessible for sealing so only 50% could be sealed. The costs ranged from $2,000 to $5,000. I suppose there was just a lack of confidence with no guarantees, if we spent that kind of money to see the number go from 3195 to 2895 I'd be very disappointed.

I'm actually a bit pleased with the energy usage as of late averaging 30-40kWh a day, the fan appears to be adding a few kWh a day, during the summer I was hitting 70kWh and I blamed the fan so I'm thinking something was wrong there as those days were not even hot. The other consideration is that as it goes into the teens I'll probably have to lower the humidity anyways, I'm looking forward to see what the system will handle.

We aren't supposed to discuss prices here but those numbers are in my experience high. Most of the air sealing jackpots usually are found in the attic and basement so I wouldn't be too concerned about the walls.
    The target I shoot for is .35ACHN without fresh air concerns so you could reduce it by half. That is big in terms of comfort and savings. I'll use my own home as an example, very similar in all respects prior to air sealing. I reduced it to .33ACHN, all humidifiers have been off for years or given away and energy use cut by 50%.

It's well worth the investment in your home.

Post Likes
    Funny video clip by the way! I don't think I saw that movie, have to watch it now.
    The part about moving all the furniture out to bring in chairs is a pretty funny comparison!

Post Likes
    http://www.fantech.net/FR-200_enus-411336.aspx

35% may be a more appropriate target at < 30'F outside.
    25% ..............................................at 0'F

http://www.madisonvinyl.com/vinyl-wi...ndensation.php
    Last edited by dan sw fl; 12-03-2014 at 05:19 AM.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12