+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insulation Sealer/Fungicide

Post Likes

Insulation Sealer/Fungicide

Hey guys, I'm getting ready for a job where the customer wants the Supply and Return plenums sealed to keep the fiberglass insulation out of the air stream. Can't say I blame him, but what products are on the market for this? I know Foster has a line of products but which one should I use?

Post Likes
    are you talking about encapsulating it with spray foam or just sealing the seams with mastic?

Post Likes
    coating the inside of the plenums to keep the fiberglass insulation out of the air stream and also prevent mold growth. We seal all seams on the exterior with mastic....

Post Likes
    wouldn't coating the inside of the duct essentially create another vapor barrier, potentially causing condensation on the inside of the ducts?

Of course; I'm thinking like a Floridian, Ducts in the attic and used primarily for cooling. I guess it would be okay if the ducts are connected to a furnace.

Post Likes
    why not change plenums & insulate them externally?

I've done that for a customer with fiberglass issues.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in