In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes

Commercial Cooking Equipment >FAIL<

This is a 60 quart steam-jacketed kettle that so happens to have numerous other add-on features. As a reference for its size, the control center next to it (with the chart plotter & switches) is six feet tall.

This kettle’s heating medium is live steam. It’s rated for up to 50 psi of incoming steam pressure. 35 psi is preferred and is what a PRV feeds it. A safety relief valve is mounted to an appropriate port in the kettle’s steam jacket and will blow off if 50 psi is exceeded.

This building's boiler sustains a constant 90 psi and a PRV establishes the desired operating pressure to the kettle:

THIS monstrosity is some modifications someone had made to the installation of this kettle’s safety relief valve installation:

That gate valve was V-E-R-Y accessible to the users of this kettle - with someone who would've eventually thought it needed turning if the kettle wasn't working right. WHY someone installed it is beyond me.

The pressure gauge is gone too. Being RIGHT THERE and with no protection (and no loop or dedicated valve), it was in too vulnerable of a location and prone to failure.
    Last edited by ECtofix; 09-08-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Oh wow, that is the cleanest kitchen I've ever seen in my life.

Post Likes
    I haven't seen a steam Jacketed Kettle since my days as a chef in the Navy, we had 6 of them, smallest was about 24" by 24" tall, biggest was about 60" by 60". Your picture takes me back.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shavedneon View Post
    I haven't seen a steam Jacketed Kettle since my days as a chef in the Navy, we had 6 of them, smallest was about 24" by 24" tall, biggest was about 60" by 60". Your picture takes me back.
    I know what you're talking about. I saw it all during a brief tenure on mess duty. Never thought I'd be working on it someday.

That one's a Cook/Chill with a mixer and a pumper connection. The smallest of four. Cook it, chill it, bag it in measured portions, seal it and freeze it if necessary. It all gets delivered to numerous restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    Oh wow, that is the cleanest kitchen I've ever seen in my life.
    They do pretty good. Comparable to the more fastidious health care places. Churches are #1 (hardly used) followed by health care/assisted living and then schools. Full service restaurants are a broad spectrum and many fall into the "worst" category. While some have been worthy of my complements (and I did), most made me bite my bottom lip and would NEVER eat at.

Post Likes
    Very lucky people. Was the valve turned off? If so, that thing was a ticking time bomb.

Post Likes
    No...thankfully.

It DID so happen that we had steam pressure issues just a few weeks thereafter. A PRV in the ceiling locked down, so all the kettle line lost its required steam feed. They didn't have a replacement, so they METERED the steam to the line with a another valve up there. The OTHER kettles are rated to 100 psi. The boiler system is set to 90 psi. This kettle is the bastard of the group, which is the reason I've made sure it has a point-of-use PRV that's in tip-top shape.

So of course, my major concern here would've been if TOO much pressure were fed there by just such a circumstance. The safety is there for a reason, and this one could've been too easily circumvented by someone unknowingly turning that knob off.

I don't work on the boiler system. The HVAC guys do that...which I'm not a part of. I just work on the huge fleet of our kitchen equipment here. Sometimes I feel there are too many hands in the mix of what's going on though.

I OVERLY communicate so everyone knows what-the-heck I'm doing. On the other hand, they'll walk in there and shut something down to work on it without telling anyone. THAT'S the stuff that REALLY bothers me.

Post Likes
    Are you replacing all that black iron and taking out the valve?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Are you replacing all that black iron and taking out the valve?
    Oh that's all long gone. Just the safety valve on it now - just like it was from the factory.

9. Likes buford liked this post.