Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Not really, r22 is cheaper then it has been in years but it'll work it's way back up.
    I still wouldn't reuse anything even if you stayed with R22. Your warranty could be void if the manufacturer found out you mismatched equipment.
    And manufacturers rarely warranty equipment purchased online as well, just to let you know.

Post Likes
    R22 is NOT the way to go. It is extremely expensive due to EPA taxing and will only get worse until it's phased out by 2020.

Any new unit that is rated for R22 is shipped dry and must be completely field charged with R22; that's a huge expense. And, as already pointed out, the AHU MUST be changed also; it it not compatible with a new unit. Besides, is ready to go too. 20 years is the high end of the equipment's life expectancy.

You need a new system.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nutlug View Post
    Thanks rider77 very helpful . I was just check prices on a new unit and see that you can still get R22 units , That sounds like the way to go.
    What your suggesting is the #1 reason for compressor failure.
    Your old one died from old age.

Your putting a gun in your new units mouth.

Get a whole new system, don't cheap out. Replace the indoor.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    A heat pump will save you HALF on your heating costs when compared to using heat strips. Installing a matching system will allow it to function properly.
    Want to REALLY save energy? Tighten up the house/ductwork and downsize the HVAC system. Smaller units keep stable temps, dehumidify better, run quieter in addition to using less power.

Post Likes
    Go ahead with the R-22 unit. If it is done right and the other parts of your system are check out and repaired if necessary you should be OK for a number of years.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lentz View Post
    The system is 20+ years old. If you have the money and are planning to stay in the house for many more years, put in a complete new system. Your family will thank you and you will be comfortable for many years. Very few people are driving a car 20+ years old. Every thing wears out.
    Quote Originally Posted by lentz View Post
    Go ahead with the R-22 unit. If it is done right and the other parts of your system are check out and repaired if necessary you should be OK for a number of years.
    How in the world can you give such confusing advice? What you said at first was correct. Now, you've completely contradicted yourself.

Nutlug, please take the original advice and replace the entire system if you plan on remaining in the house. At 20 years, all of the equipment is past its life expectancy. Replacing only the OD unit makes no sense because it will be a mis-match and will likely carry no warranty by the manufacturer.

Again, R22 equipment is dry shipped and must be field charged - a big expense. R22 cannot be produced after 2019.

If you try to cob something together on the cheap, you'll end up paying far more in the long run.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Thanks rider77 very helpful . I was just check prices on a new unit and see that you can still get R22 units , That sounds like the way to go.
    A new 13 SEER dry R22 condenser will cool connected to your 10 SEER indoor unit. It may not have full capacity, won't get 13 SEER, and could cost more to use. Probably won't last as long as your old condenser did.

Not a really good idea to do.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobboan View Post
    How in the world can you give such confusing advice? What you said at first was correct. Now, you've completely contradicted yourself.

Nutlug, please take the original advice and replace the entire system if you plan on remaining in the house. At 20 years, all of the equipment is past its life expectancy. Replacing only the OD unit makes no sense because it will be a mis-match and will likely carry no warranty by the manufacturer.

Again, R22 equipment is dry shipped and must be field charged - a big expense. R22 cannot be produced after 2019.

If you try to cob something together on the cheap, you'll end up paying far more in the long run.
    ^^THIS^^

I would only put a r22 dry ship in my worst enemy's house.....and then only with my recommendation to NOT Do it.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    WOW ! I checked this thread last night and thought it was about done, how wrong was I. So nobody likes the R22 idea . The lines will be very very hard to deal with, the compressor at the bottom, the house is on a canyon on a hill and the lines go in the wall under the house and don't come out till the FAU floor three floors up.

Thanks , Steve

Post Likes
    WOW ! I checked this thread last night and thought it was about done, how wrong was I. So nobody likes the R22 idea . The lines will be very very hard to deal with, the compressor at the bottom, the house is on a canyon on a hill and the lines go in the wall under the house and don't come out till the FAU floor three floors up.

Thanks , Steve
    As long as they don't leak, that isn't a problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Compressor Grounded out -- Why ?

If it happened during the first 5 years I would ask that question. However, after 20 years - who cares? Replace all the equipment. You'll have a 10 year warranty on most equipment and, in all likelihood, better comfort if the contractor sizes it properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12