Closed Thread

Thread: Mini Split Decision Help

Post Likes

Mini Split Decision Help

Hi,
    My name is Wayne. I live in the Caribbean. a little background, I originally had install 7 Lennox mini Splits in 2007 . I went to the local dealer and that what I was sold. The seer rating is a 10 . The salt content in the air is so great that the outside units were rusting in 3 months. about 4 years ago I had 2 units replaced and went with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 12000 & 18000. I became smarter when they were first installed and purchased breathable covers to use when not in use. after 4 years they still look brand new. the company I brought the covers from replaced them after 9 months because the sun destroyed them and told be no more warranty for you! So I am saying it's a harsh environment!
    Recently I had a condenser fan motor starting to go bad so I wrote down the model number of the A/C unit KF 35-12- GW-C and the model number on the part was YDK 35-6 . My local dealer doesn't stock parts and really isn't very helpful tells me I should buy a new unit. I called the Lennox company store and they are unable to locate my model and I explain to them that its an export model and they told me I need to call the company. Lennox tells me I need to call the international division who in turn tells me I need to deal with the distributor on the island who doesn't stock parts and tells me if they order it will take 4 to 6 weeks. They won't even give me a part number.
    I will need to replace 5 more units in the next 3 months and I can guarantee you they will not be export models where getting parts is a night mere.
    I need some recommendations on what Mini Splits are the most reliable and the most efficient. Electric is very expensive and is currently at .60 cents KwH I plan on buying them in Miami and shipping them in and having them installed. Access to parts is critical.
    I need (4) 12000 and (1) 24,000
    I welcome any suggestions
    Wayne
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    I created an account just to respond to this...

Mitsubishi makes a very reliable and efficient mini split. They have systems up to 30 SEER. They have about the longest track record of any manufacturer in the DFS space. Parts are easy to find online. Another manufacturer that does good stuff is Gree. They actually manufacture some of the parts that Mits uses in their systems. I believe both Mits and Gree have gold-fin condensers that will hold up to salty coastal air. Gree tends to be a bit cheaper than Mits, but if you research the company, you'll see

If you buy in Miami, Gemaire and Baker carry both manufacturers. There's a couple of online sellers that offer full warranties on these systems and might ship for you. Check out ComfortUp.com and ACWholesalers.com. There's also SupplyHouse.com, which might be a good source for parts. HomeDepot carries Gree now, too.

Post Likes
    I have worked with all three. Gree is a basic unit also available under the Trane name. My experience has been that technical support is limited due to the types of distributors used. System efficiency if fair at high loads but when lower loads are required they become less of a value. Indoor noise is tolerable. There are obvious cost cutting manufacturing techniques. I'm not sure of reliability, life span and parts availability as the equipment has only been available for a short time. We have researched and installed a couple with the intention of providing a budget option for our clients. The final verdict is still out.

Daikin provides well made equipment and in my opinion excels best in light commercial applications. Tech support is available to Qualified Certified Installation contractors. Good thing! Compatibility, design layout, system startup requirements and general information changes so fast you need to speak with them on every job. They have required factory personal to startup the system in the past. This means your contractor watches while you pay them to do it. I wonder if that's because a qualified technician does not have the knowledge to perform the startup? I'm not certain if that is still required.

Mitsubishi is more efficient, much quieter, most reliable (if installed per manufacture) and by far the highest quality of any HVAC systems I've worked with over 35 years! The methods of compatibility enable diverse applications. When needed technical support is readily available and efficient. They lead and all others have been following.
    If you choose a knowledgable, experienced and factory trained contractor to install your
    Mitsubishi system you will not be disappointed.

In summary: When considering comfort, initial cost, operating cost, maintenance and repair costs along with 20+ years of reliability Mitsubishi is the cheapest alternative! You'll buy 2 other brands in the course of one Mitsubishi systems lifespan.

We are a Long Island HVAC Contractor with over 35 years experience!

Post Likes
    Mitsubishi heavy industries not sold in the usa , Mitsubishi electric is the dominant division here so stick with them for parts , high seer and gold fin coils all good for you , but expensive capital cost

Post Likes
    Daikin has good products and support and soon will be the only mini split manufacturer with a US plant (Houston). This will be great for part availability in the future. Incidentally shipping from Houston to the Caribbean would be very easy. Good luck.

Sent from Western Union Quadroplex using Crapatalk
    listen > talk

Post Likes
    Here in the states Mitsubishi is very available and parts everywhere the largest hospital chain in north america exclusively uses Mitsubishi

Post Likes
    Between Mitsubishi Heavy Industries vs Electric who makes better air conditioners and which are long lasting. The IDU and ODU of the heavy looks bigger and efficiency numbers are really great. Please share your experiences, are MHIs just as reliable as ME or are they much better ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Volksjäger View Post
    Between Mitsubishi Heavy Industries vs Electric who makes better air conditioners and which are long lasting. The IDU and ODU of the heavy looks bigger and efficiency numbers are really great. Please share your experiences, are MHIs just as reliable as ME or are they much better ?
    A lot has changed in the last 5 1/2 years that the 1st post was made.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in