Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    why not get the repair kit that trane offers for it and repair it temporarily or just leave it until something else fails or until the new coil gets in. in the twenty five years I've been doing this I have seen 3 yes 3 of the trane spine fin oils fail due to lines rubbing through all three were at the same spot the aluminum coil where the l copper line runs under the coil the foam cushion that is installed there deteriorates over time and the lines make contact and the compressor harmonics (vibration) rubs the lines and the aluminum fails first. if your maintenance person was properly checking your he should have caught that before it failed when I'm doing the pm on a unit that is one of the things I check for have seen many txv's bulb lines rub thru and equalizer tubes and discharge lines do the same so I check them if it is a contract customer that I do pm's on or if I fix one due to that issue I will check the other lines to make sure that the problem will not be repeated again anytime soon

Post Likes
    I guess some of the responders missed the part about "design flaw". The details really don't matter a lot here (the rub thru happens to be in the copper lines feeding the aluminum coil, about 1/2" from the aluminum-actually multiple crossover pairs are rubbing- not reliably repairable), what matters is the fact that Trane did inadequate "real-world" testing of the design, and now fails to handle the repair/replacement in a manner that is fair to the consumer. Using the installer/service person as a crutch for poor design quality, and then passing the cost to the consumer for the repair is just plain poor. Remember, this is a company who's consumer advertising slogan touts product reliability, and a product that commands a premium price. Trane/American Standard should do better than just the minimum required by the warranty, if they wish to be known as a reputable manufacturer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond hot View Post
    I guess some of the responders missed the part about "design flaw". The details really don't matter a lot here (the rub thru happens to be in the copper lines feeding the aluminum coil, about 1/2" from the aluminum-actually multiple crossover pairs are rubbing- not reliably repairable), what matters is the fact that Trane did inadequate "real-world" testing of the design, and now fails to handle the repair/replacement in a manner that is fair to the consumer. Using the installer/service person as a crutch for poor design quality, and then passing the cost to the consumer for the repair is just plain poor. Remember, this is a company who's consumer advertising slogan touts product reliability, and a product that commands a premium price. Trane/American Standard should do better than just the minimum required by the warranty, if they wish to be known as a reputable manufacturer.
    You are too smart for your own good [engineers] and the company probably treated you as such that's why you are waiting on a coil when the kit could have fixed the problem in two hours.

Post Likes
    Trane's condenser coil design has not changed since they bought the design from GE in the 80s so I doubt its a design flaw and they've had plenty of time in the real world for testing (30+ years of the same coil)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    You are too smart for your own good [engineers] and the company probably treated you as such that's why you are waiting on a coil when the kit could have fixed the problem in two hours.
    Now what ever gave you that idea?

Post Likes
    One hvac manufacturer had so many failures, went bankrupt. Before my time, but they introduced vane compressors to the market, and had a multitude of failures. would accept design flaw designation on that one

the Citation wasn't all that great a car, would hear design flaw accused against it. Apparently pretty high breakdown rate.

just because your unit failed, or even if its the one primary mode of failure for leaks in the condensor unit, doesn't mean design flaw.
    I can drive around and see 1000s of these units 15, 20, even 28 yrs old still running. most with the same coil design.
    Most of the Tranes I've scrapped are 12-15 yrs old and older, usually 15-20 yrs. Most of the econo boxes I pull out, 8-10 yrs.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Apparently this is not a moderated group, since flames appear to be allowed.

In that vein ... I guess your bad-mouthing, jumping to conclusions, and your by-line as a "chronic over charger" says enough about you so that others know how much credence to give your comments.

FYI, The local Trane service group and Trane have agreed that a patch is not possible (if you read all of the previous information, you would already know why). Trane has actually expedited the coil delivery, although that is the least they should have done. I'm betting I will still have to pay the full labor charge. I'll see if the new coil assembly shows any improvements over the original. At least a design change would show that they do monitor for failure causes, and move toward prevention of future failures.

I'm afraid those of you that are willing settle for low quality are likely to continue getting just that.

Post Likes

Trane stopped itself - condensor coil design flaw - costing me a bundle & delay

I'm afraid those of you that are willing settle for low quality are likely to continue getting just that.
    I will take that to another level, what we are getting today is "no quality" why? Because most folks want cheaper, so the mfg's have received their memo. I don't care if they build a 50 seer, or a unit that installs itself, they will never again build one like the old units, most were bullet proof. You think your upset, you should be out here selling this stuff, my grandma would slap my face if she were still alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    Well, even though I started this thread, I'm not proclaiming Trane or any other manufacturer as overall "low quality" . I've installed some much more low-quality HVAC equipment (won't name mfgr here), and I still like many of the Trane construction features and level of completion. It's just that this particular failure seems quite prevalent, since my original installer told me right were to look, and two others understood immediately about it because they, too, had seen failures there. Trane dropped the ball in this particular failure, and then has been unwilling to "own" the problem and make proper redress.

When it's the manufacturer's fault, they should bear the cost. No cost to the consumer. No extended service warranty etc. needed. No delays in repair/replacement. Make it right. Remember again that Trane is a "premium" brand, and charges the money up front for their purported quality and reliability. I, as purchaser, paid for reliability already.

Post Likes
    the person doing the start up should do a visual inspection of the unit and that should have been caught. no reason that coil could not be repaired till the new one shows up. if you have a 3 year old car that is still warranty you will not get a new one when something fails just cause they are out of stock on a part. I agree the coil could be designed better but those style of coils been out there for about 40 years. back then the aluminum and copper were heavier. now they are a lot thinner to reducer cost and gain heat transfer.

Post Likes
    i don't understand why you keep referring to Trane as a "premium" brand ???

you may have paid a lot for it but price alone does not equal quality.

Post Likes
    I agree with 527,,quality has nothing to do with price. Price is many times related to the amount of advertising a company does and where they wish to present themselves into the market. Kind of an "emperor's clothes" type thing!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    I agree with 527,,quality has nothing to do with price. Price is many times related to the amount of advertising a company does and where they wish to present themselves into the market. Kind of an "emperor's clothes" type thing!
    I remember when Kia first come out, they slammed the tube with commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast