Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    I have been installing/servicing Trane for over 30 years. The number of tube rubs over the years has been minimal. We always do a quick check for tube rub points during the install. On the new units it's 2 screws and the panel is off.

You say the unit is 3 years old. How many times have you had it serviced in those 3 years? If the answer to that is none, Trane can deny the warranty as that clause is right in the warranty document. If you have had it serviced how much of the problem is from the servicing company for not checking for tube rubs when they serviced it.

Gravity and vibrations cause things to shift all the time. I can't count how many times when servicing equipment, all brands, that I "move" a tube so it doesn't rub somewhere. I can see where it can be a catch 22 situation for a manufacturer. They build something heavy enough so it is solid and the vibrations cause it to crack. They build it to be flexible to avoid the cracks and it can shift and rub. There is no happy medium. I have seen more cracks than I have rubs. That 's because if you look for rubs you can ward them off you can't see a line getting weak, getting ready to crack.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    I have been installing/servicing Trane for over 30 years. The number of tube rubs over the years has been minimal.
    Don't waste your key strokes, he's not listening to anything we're saying. except for what he came here to see, maybe.

I am curious to hear how he defines "design flaw"
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    I spit coffee on my screen when I read Trane= quality.

The junk that's out there today is a direct result of people wanting something for nothing.
    Shoppers- your fault.
    Manufacturer's- it's your fault for cheapening the build & raising your prices as a parting FU.

It's all crap. All of it. You are replacing a system that lasted 40 years w/ a new "state of the art" high efficiency system that if you are lucky- will see 12 years.

ABC company could go in business tomorrow selling a system that's all USA made, thickest metal in the industry, no 3rd party parts, built like a tank & offer a 10 yr across the board warranty on labor & ALL parts. Price would probably be 3 times the cost of the crap today but that's what the American people want, right?
    Wrong.
    The people want cheap disposable systems. They want that thermostat they can control from their phone. They want that system that will diagnose itself. They want that super high 20 seer multi stage communication system that will save them money & pay for itself in 3 years. But give it to me cheap! If you cant give it to me cheap, someone else will.
    And whose fault is it when something goes wrong? Yep- the installing contractor.
    IMO- the best most dependable equipment built back in the day was Lennox. Lennox was a tank- you couldn't kill those units. For their time, they were very complicated when compared to other brands but those who went Lennox, usually had money. Lots of controls, high & low pressure switches, start relay & cap & that goofy way to charge using the approach method.
    As for design flaw? Really? Trane design hasn't changed in years. I've seen Trane units w/ tubes touching everywhere & they still keep chugging along.
    They are all crap today. All of them. Every single brand name.
    Remember when compressors had shipping blocks under the legs? Remember when indoor blower motors had a shipping brace you had to remove before installing?
    Not a lot we can do when everything out there is junk & manufacturer's wont warranty what they built.
    I'd rather be selling the gear we sold 30 years ago than the choices today.

Post Likes
    Precision, +1.....I see you got my memo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    That is the sad truth about our industry and I can see the difference in quality after being in the field for just 14 yrs. I had a 30+ yr old GE/ Trane system that the compressor had been miswired for at least 2 years. There's no reasonable explanation for how the thing even ran and cooled and I was just out there because it was a little noisy. I fixed the wiring and it purred like the day it was installed. I practically begged the homeowner to keep this system as long as they could and so far they have. These days I base the merits of modern equipment almost entirely on the warranty length, availability of parts and my relationship with the supplier.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Product quality is directly related to how much the consumer is willing to pay for it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Product quality is directly related to how much the consumer is willing to pay for it.
    Ditto.

Sounds like someone should have got the labor warranty.

The Amana labor warranty pays for everything except diagnostics. Includes refrigerant. I thought Trane did also.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    after they replace the coil need to check the fan blade as they get bent and cause the coil to shake and causing rub through .
    Go Trump

Post Likes
    Trane and AS now use a third party labor warranty (which means it's as valuable as the paper it's printed on!).

Post Likes

Trane stopped itself - condensor coil design flaw - costing me a bundle & delay

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Trane and AS now use a third party labor warranty (which means it's as valuable as the paper it's printed on!).
    I will never again in my life depend on any labor warranty unless it's a mfg. warranty. I got burnt bad a few years back on those 3rd. party warranties. Don't have to slap me but once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    After 30+ years we've been burnt more than once. Actually got burnt once when we didn't KNOW the manufacturer was using a 3rd party warranty company UNTIL we tried to use the labor warranty! The original 3rd party company had gone OUT OF BUSINESS!!! Left us (and the customer) will pieces of paper!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234