Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YJ-LTE

Post Likes

YJ-LTE

Ive been looking at the ads for the YJ-LTE recovery machine. Does anyone have one? I haven't seen them at the suppliers yet. Im interested to know how they perform in the field.

Post Likes
    I'm interested in this unit too. Trying to find reviews or feedback for it. I checked it out yesterday and it looks a lot like the G5 Twin but better. The yj-lte has an aluminum crankcase. Couldn't tell if the cylinders where metal or plastic, heads are aluminum, and very similar to the G5 twin, probably have the same plastic check valves inside. The G5 is all plastic except the heads. I mean plastic everything: crankcase, cylinders, pistons, rods, rings, and check valves inside aluminum heads. The yj-lte looks superior from the little I could see inside. I liked the G5 when it worked bc it was very fast.

Any input from someone using the yellow jacket would be much appreciated.

Post Likes
    I was told to buy a recovery unit today, so I bought one. Will update after I use it.

Post Likes
    Took the case apart tonight and have good news: its all metal! Seems like it's quality. Here's some pics.

Notice the scratch I put on the cylinder to show it is metal not plastic:

5. Likes CleterD liked this post
    Post Likes
    A buddy of mine went YJ with his recovery unit and I went Appion G5.. I am wishing now I went with the YJ XLT like he did. The damn thing recovers by itself, and the you can do a cool purge cycle setting with it as well.

Cool thing is that he bought that 600 buck piece of equipment to do a 1 time install. Once he is done I told him I would give him 300 and let him use it or anything I got anytime he wants. He told me that sounds good so I am hoping it will be mine!

Heck I can't complain thought.. I got my new G5 for 500 shipped to my door new in box.. You can't beat that. I haven't even broke her cherry yet!

7. Likes nicksher liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iconbadgta View Post
    A buddy of mine went YJ with his recovery unit and I went Appion G5.. I am wishing now I went with the YJ XLT like he did. The damn thing recovers by itself, and the you can do a cool purge cycle setting with it as well.

Cool thing is that he bought that 600 buck piece of equipment to do a 1 time install. Once he is done I told him I would give him 300 and let him use it or anything I got anytime he wants. He told me that sounds good so I am hoping it will be mine!

Heck I can't complain thought.. I got my new G5 for 500 shipped to my door new in box.. You can't beat that. I haven't even broke her cherry yet!
    Can't beat that. My prob w the appion is that its all plastic. This is same design, so its also fast, and metal! Good deal you got though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksher View Post
    The G5 is all plastic except the heads. I mean plastic everything: crankcase, cylinders, pistons, rods, rings, and check valves inside aluminum heads.
    Can't beat that. My prob w the appion is that its all plastic. This is same design, so its also fast, and metal! Good deal you got though.
    I just wanted to correct this misinformation: everything about the G5Twin's motor, compressor, crankcase, cylinders, pistons, etc. is metal. Aluminum and steel. We use composite materials for the valves and seals, and some lightweight composite materials for the case. We use a composite cover frame OVER the compressor body to protect from dust and debris.

The YJ-LTE is not the same design, as the G5Twin is patented and patent-pending.

Post Likes
    Obviously it's not the exact design due to patents, they're similar though and that's what I meant. Pardon my wording. The G5 motor is of course metal, like every motor ever made. The crankcase, pistons, rings, valves, and seals are absolutely not metal. They are, as you say, composite. The heads are aluminum. Clearly I'm not a fan, but I'm not spreading misinformation either. Composite is not metal, and will not hold up as well. In my experience(s) it has not held up well, and I baby my equipment. I'll also make it a point to take apart my G5, again, and post some pics just to be fair.

Post Likes
    Then you can clear up the rest of the misinformation you just posted yourself lol

Post Likes
    Didn't want to turn this into an Appion bashing thread. Just wanted to respond to the op as I was looking at the yj-lte to buy. Went through my pics n found the ones I took from the most recent G5Twin failure. They're not as good as the pics of the LTE, but I'll grab the G5 next time I'm at our other shop just so I can take better pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

Those are melted check valves and a broken fan #2. I gave up on it after the valves.

Post Likes
    Didn't want to turn this into an Appion bashing thread. Just wanted to respond to the op as I was looking at the yj-lte to buy. Went through my pics n found the ones I took from the most recent G5Twin failure. They're not as good as the pics of the LTE, but I'll grab the G5 next time I'm at our other shop just so I can take better pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

Those are melted check valves and a broken fan #2. I gave up on it after the valves.
    The compressor heads, valve plates (both shown in your pics), pistons, and structural housing of the crankcase are all aircraft-grade aluminum. The piston throw assembly and crankshaft are steel. Surrounding the structure of the crankcase housing is a composite dust cover, but this is not structural to the compressor (the dust cover does reinforce the motor mounting). Aside from that dust cover, our compressor is all-metal.

Just like the YJ-LTE (and every recovery machine), we have composite valves and seals.

I understand that you may be upset with the way that the G5Twin failed, but this is something that we would be glad to have taken care of for you.

The G5Twin pumps quickly, which generates enormous heat energy due to the speed and compression. This requires the cooling fan to blast air over the heads to keep it cool. If that cooling is interrupted (say, if something gets in through the fan shroud and breaks the fan blades), that will certainly raise the heat of the compressor beyond the design... that is, its not meant to run without a fan. This will cause heat damage if it continues running in this fashion.

Most of the fan breakage I've seen like this has been due to objects intruding into the fan grill, sometimes it happens from the machine being dropped while running. It is also possible for significant output restrictions (such as core depressors in the hose fittings between the machine and recovery cylinder... or the recovery cylinder valves being partially open) to increase the back-pressure load on the compressor. That can increase wear on the fan assembly, which is why we have a relief mechanism in the fan assembly.

For 2015, we introduced a new fan assembly that tolerates even more output restrictions, to reduce the possibility of losing the cooling airflow on the machine. We have also improved the thermal range of the valve materials. We are constantly improving the G5Twin, even after more than 11 years on the market.

Again, I'm sorry you were left unhappy with the G5 failing from heat damage, but if you would give us a chance, contact us at the factory and we will get you taken care of.

14. Likes CleterD liked this post
    Post Likes
    I've had 1 of my G5 twins for at least 8 or 9 years and another for 5 years with pretty heavy use. I dropped one of them and broke the fan and that's the only problem I've ever had. It drinks liquid and breathes vapor. It's pretty obvious by looking at the inside of that YJ that the inspiration came from the appion G5 because the G5 is such a good pump. I will say it's kind of a pain to put the outer case back on once you take it apart because of the black rubber vibration pads.

Post Likes
    My G5 runs several time a week or more for me and has never even sneezed. It has the fastest recovery time of anything I have ever seen or used, and I also use it routinely to push refrigerant into a system when charging high volume equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast