Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pesto

Post Likes
    If you wait till it blooms, that will likely make some of the worst pesto you've ever tasted. Well, not puke bad, just won't have that special pop to it.

As stated, in my experience, the best pesto comes from the leaves early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Might be little advantage. Soil and climate make huge differences with grapes and probably other crops. Should the basil be used before or after blooming? Al sorts of unknowns. Except by the pros.
    I never did a critical taste test. Maybe this year. I have a long 2' pot that grows oregano and basil. Mexican oregano is not worth growing me thinks.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Just buy already growing basil plants and keep pinching off the tops to make them bush out. But even just growing from seed you still have time. Basil grows fast.

In NJ I cannot grow mint - it just won't grow. But I can't move anything in the yard without finding another basil plant poking it's head up. It re-seeds itself all over the yard like a weed.

In Florida I have somewhat of a hard time with basil - the leaves fade to beige and sometimes even the still-green leaves gets lots of black spot on them. And I have no use for mint here.

Who can figure it out? <g>

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I remember hearing the term sweet basil. Seems late in the season to get something going, but maybe I'll try something now instead of waiting till next year.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    We have about 15 basil plants going and an almost equal amount of tomato plants. Not enough to make pesto...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    How do you make out with basil at your house? Say; last year?

I'm thinking about building a raised bed - like a looooong window box planter along my back fence, to grow the basil in. In the pots and planters on the ground it doesn't do well. Full sun, half sun, early sun, late sun - it never seems happy.

What soil are you planting it in?

Rosemary, oregano, chives, thyme, parsley - all fine here. Basil? Not so much. <g>

PHM
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    We have about 15 basil plants going and an almost equal amount of tomato plants. Not enough to make pesto...

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Year before last i worked in 600lbs of decomposed manure and 600lbs of topsoil into a 15x4 space. Last year i did a few bags of each and always use a mild fertilizer.

This year i just did some fertilizer and buried some fish in the spot.

Its sad because now you cant even tell I added all that soil. It just looks like sand again. What you really need is clay worked in to hold the nutrition. Our basil does ok, none of the symptoms your describing. Our tomatoes grew like a weed but got a pretty low yeild IMO. Once summer kicks in you get alot of flower rot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    How do you make out with basil at your house? Say; last year?

I'm thinking about building a raised bed - like a looooong window box planter along my back fence, to grow the basil in. In the pots and planters on the ground it doesn't do well. Full sun, half sun, early sun, late sun - it never seems happy.

What soil are you planting it in?

Rosemary, oregano, chives, thyme, parsley - all fine here. Basil? Not so much. <g>

PHM
    ----------------

Interesting problem as Rosemary, oregano, thyme are all mint family. Usually a weedy problem once established.
    If you ever have a need to know, all the mints have a square stem (stem to flower) so they are easier than many other plants to ID. In the wild there are lots of mint varieties.
    Often it's said herbs like poor soil. Maybe true they grow in poor soil but give them some of the good stuff and they grow better. Even though plants seem to have attitude with me I have seen what other successful growers do. I thought if I copy their methods I too will prosper. NOT!
    I even bought some soil that I was told if this won't grow your plants, they are dead. Well they soon were.
    But I can grow cactus...
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Might be a pH problem. Most plants like something just a bit on the acid side. If neutral or alkaline, then the plants cannot absorb the nutrients. Could be the water or the soil.

Proper pH, a loose soil, nutrients, and light is pretty much the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Interesting problem as Rosemary, oregano, thyme are all mint family. Usually a weedy problem once established.
    If you ever have a need to know, all the mints have a square stem (stem to flower) so they are easier than many other plants to ID. In the wild there are lots of mint varieties.
    Often it's said herbs like poor soil. Maybe true they grow in poor soil but give them some of the good stuff and they grow better. Even though plants seem to have attitude with me I have seen what other successful growers do. I thought if I copy their methods I too will prosper. NOT!
    I even bought some soil that I was told if this won't grow your plants, they are dead. Well they soon were.
    But I can grow cactus...
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Saw this live basil at the store, so I figured I'd pick some up. Still had roots attached.

Name:  20190414_114804.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  20190414_114815.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  97.5 KB

Post Likes
    Funny thing is, that Live Basil looked worse than the Dead Basil I bought at the farmers market, LOL

That Live Basil isn't intended to plant, supposed to pluck off leaves as needed, but figured I'd cut it up and see if it wants to grow for me.

Name:  20190414_114825.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  120.3 KB

Post Likes
    Another batch of pesto. Added another teaspoon of vinegar, to see if the color lasts longer.

Did the same double up on the garlic. Hot on the tongue now, but after two days, it's like golden nectar.

Name:  20190414_151331.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  71.5 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Might be a pH problem. Most plants like something just a bit on the acid side. If neutral or alkaline, then the plants cannot absorb the nutrients. Could be the water or the soil.

Proper pH, a loose soil, nutrients, and light is pretty much the recipe.

I wish it was that simple. What we fight here is 8" rain/year and over 1 mile in altitude.
    The altitude makes sun shine very different. People do grow food here but it's just harder. Those that take the effort can do ok.
    First is do something about the sand box. This is how barter might have started. I'll trade ya some cactus for basil.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Yeah, never tried growing anything on your high desert plateau. It could be something as simple as the sand not holding the moisture, as you alluded to.

Regarding an earlier comment on tomatoes not yielding, over fertilizing can cause that. They need a bit to grow, but if over fertilized, they see little need to propagate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234