Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

SNO BALL GE COMPRESSOR

ANY ONE know where the video of snow ball the GE COMPRESSOR that ran with liquid on it for 30 years

Post Likes

3. Likes Scott Kline liked this post
    Post Likes
    It actually was a GE, from before Trane bought GE's heat/cool division. It sure showed that their compressor would still keep operational, even in situations less than ideal.

Post Likes
    thanks for the photo, I have one in my shed for a spare if my Copeland scroll fails the GE IS going in.

Post Likes
    You know the thing that always bugged me about this is I have seen more compressor issues from lack of refrigerant to the compressor than too much refrigerant getting to the compressor.

Post Likes
    If memory serves me correctly (it was over 20 years ago), they told us that they cycled it with liquid, but also undercharged to the point of near empty. These were in-house guys, so can't guarantee it's true.

Post Likes
    No kidding. Show me a compressor that'll run 30 years with a 30 degree superheat and you've got a winner!

Post Likes
    Man goes to show you how great GE products were before the Trane merger. Practically what you see in Trane systems today was GE

10. Likes mars64 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Whoop

12. Likes emrey35, mars64 liked this post
    Post Likes
    So, keeping this true to the forum, what'd he win?

14. Likes mars64 liked this post
    Post Likes
    The irony of of the Snowball story is it arrived at the factory after having been condemned in the field as a DOA.

They now have a Snowball II that's been running since 2000:
    http://www.trane.com/residential/en/...-facility.html

I suspect their "continuous flood test" is carefully set up and maintained. Obviously it's running at a pretty low suction pressure and it's not difficult to set it up to "look like" it's flooding back even if it actually has 20 Deg F or more superheat. Even if they're being honest about it, if the floodback rate is low, the great amount of heat generated by the fairly high pressure ratio would easily protect any valve damage. The accumulator-like shell of the Climatuff is only beneficial for intermittent flooding or slugs, not for continuous flooding.

Post Likes
    its a wonder why GE did not get in to the refrigeration and ice machine business as far as the picture of the York condenser I like there theory of there is still heat in the air at minus 400 or something of that nature I do not know it to be true but I believe they gave or sold there ice machine patent to HOZY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mars64 View Post
    its a wonder why GE did not get in to the refrigeration and ice machine business as far as the picture of the York condenser I like there theory of there is still heat in the air at minus 400 or something of that nature I do not know it to be true but I believe they gave or sold there ice machine patent to HOZY
    Absolute zero is believed/extrapolated to be -469.67*F. It's believed to be the point where molecular motion stops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast