Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes

Question

Why not start a poll to move this section to "Pro" like we did with Oil Burners. Seems to many DIY here
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    well if you know how to diagnose an inefficient compressor, low charge, leaking water valve, bad txv, restriction, overcharge , bridge thickness etc... you shouldnt have a problem.

Post Likes

I Agree With Kelly T

If the thing is 14 years old and has no maintenance then by the time you bring it up to speed you would be better of just unplugging it and buying a new one. But in the interest of good business you should call a local repair guy and let him tell you the same thing. I think your question exceeds the scope and capability of my computer keyboard......

Post Likes
    What's the serial number on that beast. I bet it's more than 14 years old.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
    Why not start a poll to move this section to "Pro" like we did with Oil Burners. Seems to many DIY here
    You got my vote!
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whywhy View Post
    First of all, if I were a professional who knew more about the subject at hand, I would not even have bothered asking a question on this board. However, I'm just a do-it-yourself person who asked a seemingly simple question because I do not know as much as you so called pro's. Isn't that what a forum is for? Thanks for your reply but keep the useless replies to yourself.
    im outa work right now...its winter and this guy wants my kids to starve cause he thinks just cause he can fix the ptrap under his sink he can take on a ice machine.
    i tell you what ill buy it for a good price. i could use the practice and maybe teach my son with it

Post Likes
    This guy sounds like one of those penny pinching restaurant managers i deal with. One time i told this manager that he needed a cleaning done to his ice machine, he tells me that he will pass on it. well about two days later i get a call for the ice machine not working, luckily there was one of those cooks that just cant keep his trap closed and told me that the manager had instructed one of the employees to clean the ice machine with the hose. The employee took the covers off including the water curtain and started hosing all over the place, well he hosed all over and got a bunch of water in the electrical compartment, now the ice machine needed a new board.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Post Likes

Useless replies......

This seems to be an ongoing trend that I keep running into and I am glad to see it happening somewhere else...for sanity reasons. Telling a customer how to clean an icemaker is like telling a service tech how to prepare a meal fit for a king. There are five star restaurants and mom and pop places as well. There are factory certified service companies and there are guys working out of their garage with no insurance. The point is that we all have our own jobs and qualifications to provide professional services. That's called job market and good old capitalism. We can't tell you how to clean an icemaker as much as you can't tell us on how to cook a five star dinner. It just doesn't work that way. If you have a G series machine then it is antiquated. Most likely, the R502 has been converted to HP81 and your lucky if the evaps still have a good coating of nickel left on them. The free advise is buy either a new Manitowoc Q series or a new KM Hoshizaki cuber, my choice right now since Manitowoc went to Danfoss parts (love the TEV's) and is having problems with reliablity right now.....just like the good old days when they switched from Sporlan to Alco. What's that secret recipe so I can make that fried chicken myself to save money by not going to that expensive restaurant?

Post Likes

Talking

:
    Quote Originally Posted by QTEMP View Post
    This seems to be an ongoing trend that I keep running into and I am glad to see it happening somewhere else...for sanity reasons. Telling a customer how to clean an icemaker is like telling a service tech how to prepare a meal fit for a king. There are five star restaurants and mom and pop places as well. There are factory certified service companies and there are guys working out of their garage with no insurance. The point is that we all have our own jobs and qualifications to provide professional services. That's called job market and good old capitalism. We can't tell you how to clean an icemaker as much as you can't tell us on how to cook a five star dinner. It just doesn't work that way. If you have a G series machine then it is antiquated. Most likely, the R502 has been converted to HP81 and your lucky if the evaps still have a good coating of nickel left on them. The free advise is buy either a new Manitowoc Q series or a new KM Hoshizaki cuber, my choice right now since Manitowoc went to Danfoss parts (love the TEV's) and is having problems with reliablity right now.....just like the good old days when they switched from Sporlan to Alco. What's that secret recipe so I can make that fried chicken myself to save money by not going to that expensive restaurant?
    "Kentucky Fried"
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    Is there a small amount of water leaking from the sump drain during freeze mode? Is the machine taking on water ? Can be a simple fix. .03c

Post Likes
    Lots of good advice. Of course the best advice would be to get a Hoshizaki

Post Likes

Hmm find a pro

I work for the state of Indiana in a prison I take care of aprox 70 ice makers we fix them! Most of my machines are fixable, the state won"t buy new ones.parts and repairmen are cheaper! Find a pro!

Post Likes
    new does not mean pick one up at the next resturant auction or craigs list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12