Post Likes

Unable to Resolve Whistling Noise from Zone Damper of 3 Zone Carrier Infinity System

My home is equipped with a Carrier Infinity Furnace with zone control. Each of three floors, including the basement, is designated as a zone; i.e. three zone system.

When the system is providing cooling to Zone 3 (upper floor) there is a relatively loud whistling sound (i.e. it sounds like an old fashioned tea kettle) heard throughout Zone 2 (main floor). The volume of the whistling is somewhat variable/intermittent; however, what is repeatable is that the noise is present in Zone 2 when only Zone 3 is active and also when there is a combination of majority demand from Zone 3 and minor demand (e.g. damper positions 0 - 4) from Zone 2. There is no whistling noise when there is significant flow through Zone 2; i.e. if the Zone 2 damper is in position 5 (approximately) or greater, there is no whistling. The whistling noise is loud in the vicinity of the Zone 2 damper. The working assumption is that the whistling noise is coming from the damper; however, I suppose there is a possibility that it is something else (specific to the operating conditions described above).

The contractor has made unsuccessful several attempts to resolve the whistling noise. They have confirmed that the flows to each zone are appropriate (i.e. individual zone flows not too high). They have also checked the positioning of the damper in the duct and used silicone to seal gaps between the damper and the duct.

I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but just in case it is, the Zone 2 damper is positioned about six inches in front of the first run off the Zone 2 main duct.

I would be happy to provide any additional information that might be useful to determine the cause and solution to this issue.

What are the possible causes of this issue?

What tests might be done to further isolate the root cause?

Post Likes
    So you and your contractor has identified that if zone 2 is partially open there is no whistling. But to try and solve the problem (it whistles) when it is closed he's trying to seal it tighter? I can only guess that this has only changed the pitch of the noise.

There is no real good reason to have any damper in a residential system seal off 100% when that stat is completely satisfied...... well unless the zone's area is soooooo small even a small amount of leakage would cause noticeable uncomfortable temperatures.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    It sounds like the zoning wasn't designed properly. Your 2nd floor (upper floor) ductwork isn't large enough. The air has to go somewhere. They should have designed a modulating by-pass damper into the mix or a dump zone. Increasing the amount of air to the 2nd floor I'm sure isn't an option.

Post Likes
    What type of static pressure control do you have? Sounds like possibly to high causing noise through the damper. Try changing static set point (lower) see if that helps.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    The three zones are similar in size.

With the current system settings, the system pressure tops out at between 0.94 and 1.02.

The Zone 2 and 3 dampers hold the SP (0.94 - 1.20) without whistling, but the Zone 1 damper whistles when it has to hold the same SP.

Post Likes
    The SP #'s you are reporting tell the whole story. The zones are not sized properly for the capacity of at least the AC part of the system.

The carrier zoning does not use a bypass/dump damper and goes as far as to state NOT to use one. At least the last time I read the install instructions.

There are manual means to resolve this issue that will require your contractor to think beyond pushing buttons. Maybe it's time the contractor called his suppier and asked them for suggestions on how to fix his problem.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    The SP #'s you are reporting tell the whole story. The zones are not sized properly for the capacity of at least the AC part of the system.

The carrier zoning does not use a bypass/dump damper and goes as far as to state NOT to use one. At least the last time I read the install instructions.

There are manual means to resolve this issue that will require your contractor to think beyond pushing buttons. Maybe it's time the contractor called his suppier and asked them for suggestions on how to fix his problem.
    You're right, the Carrier Infinity zoning doesn't need a by-pass. Their less expensive options (if still offered) do sometimes require a by-pass if they can't 'dump' the excess air somewhere else.

P.S. He said he had a Infinity furnace………..I don't know if he has the Infinity zoning.
    Last edited by George2; 06-27-2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: P. S.

Post Likes
    Yes, we have Infinity zoning, which is controlled using the Infinity Zone Controller (SYSTXCCUIZ01-V).

What SP range would be reasonable?

Post Likes
    Static pressure should be .5"wc range. If you have no static pressure control as was suggested then you will have no set point adjustment. I am unfamiliar with resi zoning systems but work extensively with zone systems vav etc. We use static pressure to control fan speeds.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
    Yes, we have Infinity zoning, which is controlled using the Infinity Zone Controller (SYSTXCCUIZ01-V).

What SP range would be reasonable?
    Under .8" with 1 zone calling.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    The Carrier Infinity Control allows setting max airflow limits for each zone. I don't think it allows controlling to a SP setpoint; however, it is possible to set the max airflow limits fore each zone and thereby limit the SP. I don't have the system design details, so I don't know what were the CFM design points for each zone. I understand there are turn down limits on the AC to avoid freezing the coils. I don't know how much margin we have to further reduce CFM to reduce SP and noise.