In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes

Who needs an expensive HVAC system when you got this...

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Actually, this compels me to experiment with some cheap "riggin'" to cool down our sweltering kitchen equipment shop at work. Our roll-around big-a$$ed fan that once was an evaporative system (but they won't bear the expense to fix) is now NOT. The fan still moves a ton of air and might get mated with a little-used misting system I have laying in my garage.

I'm not in charge and AC will never be provided.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Copper thieves are going to lift that in a heartbeat.

Seriously though, to further improve this he could have mixed salt in the water to lower the freezing point.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Copper thieves are going to lift that in a heartbeat.

Seriously though, to further improve this he could have mixed salt in the water to lower the freezing point.

I saw this on facebook a few weeks back and my mind immediately started racing with possibilities.

I couldn't care less about saving the few pennies this guy wants to save on energy.

I'm thinking an open loop glycol system with the glycol storage in a chest freezer would create a very effective spot cooling device.

Post Likes
    Using it for heating would probably be just about as cost effective all things considered.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I saw this on facebook a few weeks back and my mind immediately started racing with possibilities.

I couldn't care less about saving the few pennies this guy wants to save on energy.

I'm thinking an open loop glycol system with the glycol storage in a chest freezer would create a very effective spot cooling device.
    I was thinking the same exact thing. That would be incredibly easy to do too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    I was thinking the same exact thing. That would be incredibly easy to do too.

Would it surprise anyone that I'm thinking thermal bank system based on this concept for the house?

Set up a couple of large ice containers or even fill a chest freezer or two with water. Put them on timers to run overnight (you'd have to figure out how long it takes to freeze to and account for the necessary peak/off peak rates to make the idea feasible.

Then, come morning, start up the pump with a call from "Y" and use the "cold" from overnight to cool the house.

I suppose a similar system or even a connected system could be created to heat the house in winter using solar panels, diverting valves and repurposing the freezers as thermal storage tanks for winter. Heat the water all day, then use the heated water to warm the house overnight or to supplement the existing heating system.

Post Likes
    I don't see a drain pan on that thing, where is the moisture going to go that condenses out on that cold copper tubing. Hmm THE FLOOR!!