Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    What is the co2?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Did the "balance " the fresh air ventilator??

Please describe how it's ducted aand post pics.

Post Likes
    What kind of stuff do you have in your garage?
    It could be that there is not a good air seal between the garage and the house, very common issue.

Post Likes
    How new is your house? If your house was newly built using the typical chip board construction, this material will offgas VOCs forever. What does the Airadvice say when it's outside?

Post Likes
    I did not see anywhere in this post if the same monitor has been used for all tests performed? Ifso Has the monitor been calibrated recently? When was it calibrated? Did you try a different airadvice monitor to ensure accuracy? I had the opposite happen with us that the monitor was reading low vocs and infact they were high! had to Send it out for calibration...
    just a thought

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    What kind of stuff do you have in your garage?
    It could be that there is not a good air seal between the garage and the house, very common issue.
    I put the airadvice out in the garage to check. The VOC's are much lower, so I don't think that's the source.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhvac86 View Post
    I did not see anywhere in this post if the same monitor has been used for all tests performed? Ifso Has the monitor been calibrated recently? When was it calibrated? Did you try a different airadvice monitor to ensure accuracy? I had the opposite happen with us that the monitor was reading low vocs and infact they were high! had to Send it out for calibration...
    just a thought

Thanks for the idea. We had a different monitor put in recently, and its reading about the same as the other one did. The technician said both had been calibrated. So I am pretty sure its not the monitor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by l'ville guy View Post
    How new is your house? If your house was newly built using the typical chip board construction, this material will offgas VOCs forever. What does the Airadvice say when it's outside?
    House is 3 years old. When I put the airadvice outside, the VOC levels are really low (almost non detectable). I agree, the offgassing in a new house is always there - BUT, why would the offgassing be worse in the winter than in the summer - also why do we get big spikes in the VOC levels? It would seem if materials were offgassing, it would be more of a constant, high level, rather than all of these fluctuations we are seeing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tfwalsh View Post
    House is 3 years old. When I put the airadvice outside, the VOC levels are really low (almost non detectable). I agree, the offgassing in a new house is always there - BUT, why would the offgassing be worse in the winter than in the summer - also why do we get big spikes in the VOC levels? It would seem if materials were offgassing, it would be more of a constant, high level, rather than all of these fluctuations we are seeing.
    Do you open your windows in the summer? During the winter is when you button your house up the tightest. Probably why it is trapping more VOC's in the winter. Also people tend to go in and out more often in the fairer weather, creating more and more air exchanges.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Post Likes
    #13 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
    tfwalsh
    Regular Member Join Date: Jan 2008

"The negative pressure idea is very interesting. It would explain why things are worse in the winter. If this is the problem, is there a way to fix it? If it is sewer gas, how can we stop it from coming in? We already have a Lennox Heat-recovery ventilator installed, and I thought that was supposed to create a positive pressure in the house."

If they actually balanced the air flow for the HRV,yes positive,if not could be negative.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nashobasales View Post
    Do you open your windows in the summer? During the winter is when you button your house up the tightest. Probably why it is trapping more VOC's in the winter. Also people tend to go in and out more often in the fairer weather, creating more and more air exchanges.
    Most of the time in the summer we kept the windows closed, except for running a test to see what effect open windows would have on the airadvice. Sure enough, when we opened all the windows, the VOC readings plummetted. When the windows were closed, the VOC levels went up, but not nearly as high as they are now in the winter. Also, there were never any spikes in VOC readings inthe summer, like we now have in the winter. That's why I've been suspecting tha my heater might be giving something off...

Post Likes
    What controls the HRV run tims,and did they balance the air flow ,so as to not create negative pressure.We have found several that were not balanced by others,just ducted .

Where does the HRV connect ,to the ducts,for fresh and exhaust air?

Post Likes
    tfw
    For some reason your house is in negative pressure. I would agree with Dash that the HRV needs to be checked to make sure that this is not causing the problem. My guess is that it probably is.

Differences in pressure create a very powerful force. It is not uncommon to have VOC's from a water heater or other gas operated device drawn into a space with negative pressure. Also VOC's such as paints stored in a garage could be drawn into your living space. Just because you are not seeing high VOC's on the Air Advice in the garage does not mean this is not happening.

The fact that you do not have high VOC's when you are opening doors and windows supports this conclusion. Anytime you open up the house (by opening windows or doors) to the outdoors you stabilize pressure and your VOC's go down. Conversely, your highest VOC readings are at night - when the house is probably in the highest negative pressure.

Get your HRV checked and balanced.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast