Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drip leg on gas line for new furnace

Post Likes

drip leg on gas line for new furnace

I recently installed a new A/C and furnace in my. It is the bryant evolution 90+ furnace. (I believe it is a 355AAV).
    Anyway, the gas line does not have a drip leg. Actually, it didn't have a drip leg for the old furnace either, and the installer did not put one in. how important is a drip leg for a natural gas furnace? What exactly does it do?

Thanks for your advice.

Post Likes
    Code requires a drip leg to prevent any foreign particles i.e. cutting oil, metal filings, etc. from entering the gas valve. It should be installed upstream of the valve.

Post Likes

drip leg location

So this is code. Hmmm. Do you need a drip leg on every gas line (dryer,water etc), or is one drip leg good for the whole house near the meter?

Here is a picture of the install. Can he place it at the bend right before entering the furncace. I think you are saying that it has to go before the 1/4 turn valve, correct?

Thanks

Post Likes

Drip

^^ Up stream from the gas valve ??? I always put mine at the lowest point before it enters the appliance or at the bottom of a riser, gas fireplaces etc do not require a drip leg.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dr unico View Post
    ^^ Up stream from the gas valve ??? I always put mine at the lowest point before it enters the appliance or at the bottom of a riser, gas fireplaces etc do not require a drip leg.
    Upstream from the gas valve, downstream from the shut-off valve. Didn't make that very clear, thanks. Code per IFGC 408.4.

In the photo the drip leg, or sediment trap, should be located after the shut off valve at the location of the first elbow. It should have a tee fitting at that point instead of the elbow and a 6 inch "leg" capped at the bottom.

Post Likes
    Exactally what woody said at the elbow closes to you if your standing at furnace,change to a tee.

Post Likes
    The drip leg is also used for catching condensation so I would put one on it if possible.

Post Likes
    drip legs at each appliance are not required in and around San Antonio they just put 1 at the gas meter we can also use gas flex just have to hard pipe out of furnace

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    drip legs at each appliance are not required in and around San Antonio they just put 1 at the gas meter we can also use gas flex just have to hard pipe out of furnace
    We always install them at each appliance rather than at the meter because debri can be in the piping after the meter ( and usually is). Just the way I have done it for years anyway.

Post Likes

Exclamation

Catman, sediment traps are required by code--just not enforced in your area. If there is an Ooops!, and it is found to be caused by foreign material in the valve where no sediment trap was installed, the installer will be held liable, inspection or no inspection. Just because your ahj does not inspect to or enforce every aspect of the code does not nullify the code.

Hearthman

Post Likes
    How is a flex gas line trapped then? After valve with a tee then into the flex to the appliance?

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Catman, sediment traps are required by code--just not enforced in your area. If there is an Ooops!, and it is found to be caused by foreign material in the valve where no sediment trap was installed, the installer will be held liable, inspection or no inspection. Just because your ahj does not inspect to or enforce every aspect of the code does not nullify the code.

Hearthman
    NFGC 8.5.7 Where a sediment trap is NOT incorporated as part of the gas utilization equipment, a sediment trap shall be installed as close to the inlet of the equipment as practical at the time of the equipment instalation.

NFGC 6.6.1 PROVIDE DRIPS WHERE NECCESSARY. For other than dry gas conditions. etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by howard33 View Post
    How is a flex gas line trapped then? After valve with a tee then into the flex to the appliance?
    Yes, it can be done that way.Flex cannot, however, go into the appliance. Ridgid pipe needs to come out of the furnace.

Post Likes
    I see; but you wouldn't have to do so for a gas water heater then since there is no housing to chafe (assuming that is the reason for the rigid pipe)?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by howard33 View Post
    I see; but you wouldn't have to do so for a gas water heater then since there is no housing to chafe (assuming that is the reason for the rigid pipe)?
    That is correct, unless otherwise prohibited by your local codes.

Post Likes

my drip leg location

I just checked this out, and I have a drip leg right before the gas meter,and that's it. There are no legs for the hot water heater, dryer, furnace, and I don't know about the oven.
    The furnace installer wasn't too keen on coming back to install one, but I'll try again.

How long does it take to install one, where the current configuration is an L-shape as pictured above?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bplinder View Post
    I just checked this out, and I have a drip leg right before the gas meter,and that's it. There are no legs for the hot water heater, dryer, furnace, and I don't know about the oven.
    The furnace installer wasn't too keen on coming back to install one, but I'll try again.

How long does it take to install one, where the current configuration is an L-shape as pictured above?
    Less than an hour.

Post Likes

Talking

black iron tee - $.xx
    3 black iron nipples - $x.xx
    black iron cap - $.xx

Service call to repair/replace valve - priceless (+$x.xx & time for a dirt/drip pocket)!!

Many appliances spec a drip/dirt pocket in the supply piping for the appliance. Here specs supercede code so why not put them in? Just follow the instructions......

Our code up here; depth of pocket shall be either 3"/75mm in diameter or equal to the internal diameter of the piping which it serves, whichever is greater. Diameter of pocket shall be NPS 2 or the diameter of piping it serves, whichever is less.

I know it doesn't apply in your area, but its gotta be there for a reason.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-05-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Post Likes
    I always install drip legs as a rule, as for the nescessity of it, its arguable, but I install them anyway.

Post Likes
    When using flexible pipe such as Gastite, I have been told by inspectors, a dripleg by the Main at the manifold will be enough. I usually still put one near the appliance just to be safe.
    Last edited by tunnel_rat; 12-10-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast