+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up with my DC temp probe?

Post Likes
    Just spent about 30 mins on the phone with Cooper Atkins tech support and their engineering dept. This is the first I've heard of this so I was intrigued.

They claim that is a proprietary chart for Veris industries. Cooper Atkins thermistors don't have a type 2, 3, etc designation.

They're going to email me the chart/curve info for several of their thermistors. I will take that info and compare it to DC's chart/curve.

Post Likes
    I think I've seen other charts with multiple curves.
    One I see is a "US" standard and probably the one but makes you wonder about others in hvac equipment.

I've never noticed a issue with running the Cooper on my Digi's just putting it out there.

Bet the guys in the controls forum would have better info to add if any.

Post Likes
    This started out kinda dry but it just became a fascinating post. I'm anxious to see Brent's results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    For the past week or so my DC AK900 high side temp probe has been acting crazy. I can't trust either reading without double checking with another thermometer which is a pia. The high side reading will either bounce back and forth from all different temps, go away altogether while the low side temp stays on screen or it will read the same as the low side guage when one is on suction and one on liquid. It seems to do it more frequently while I'm handling the low side clamp than with the high side clamp. I've tried taking the cover off and jiggling the wires and it acts more erratic. I feel like its a loose connection in the low side clamp but why does it affect the high side reading? I took a video of it jumping all around but I can't upload it on my phone, it'll only let me upload pics.
    I was just having a similar issue with mine. My high side would read very erratic, or not read at all. Low side would almost never show up. All I have are the clamps so I couldn't test against another sensor.

I left a message with DC yesterday morning and Doug called me back personally. I suggest calling them. They have been great to work with so far.

Post Likes
    Hey Brent would like to know what is in a 4005i if that is one they give you.
    It's not a 10K but I wanted a simple small 10K thermometer like my 4005i but be able to plug any of there sensors like one of their big boxed one but man that way to bulky and dated for 2014!!!
    I think imperial is going to be making some little wireless thermometers that take the 10K but no built in display I guess :-/

Post Likes

What's up with my DC temp probe?

Ok. I got the email from Cooper-Atkins. It does include the resistance chart for the 4005 (not the 4005i). Still waiting on one for the 4011 strap probe. Unfortunately, I'm using an iPhone or iPad and it won't allow me to post a PDF to the forum.

I can email it to someone who has a PC and then they can post it.

Also, I wrote Doug from DC an email about acquiring a chart for thermistors used with the AK900.

Post Likes
    The 4005 and 4011 should be identical

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The 4005 and 4011 should be identical
    "Should be"..,.Yes.

I'm awaiting a response from Cooper to confirm this.

Post Likes
    Ok. I got the temp-resistance curve for the DC Ak900 thermistors. I'm not going to post the chart because I have been asked to keep it to myself. I also received the curve for the Cooper 4005 thermistor earlier today.

I compared the Cooper-Atkins 4005 and AK900 thermistors. From 20* to 125*, they're almost exactly the same. They only differ when you venture into the negative temps and even then, it's only by a couple hundred ohm difference.

In conclusion, for the temp range that the tool will be used for - I don't think you would see any noticeable difference if you change your AK900 probes to Cooper-Atkins probes.

Post Likes
    Can you post up the Cooper curve?

Post Likes
    Chuck, it's a PDF file and I can't post it from my iPhone or iPad. I don't own a PC.

I can email it to you and you can post if you would like (if you're able.)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Chuck, it's a PDF file and I can't post it from my iPhone or iPad. I don't own a PC.

I can email it to you and you can post if you would like (if you're able.)
    Would the temps be within 1F form say a -40F blast freezer to 200F when checking deltaT on boiler?

I'm going to get a set of the Digi-Cool stretchy Velcro Clamps either way.

Does anyone want to trade the strechy Velcro sensors for some clamp sensors? (I have two AK900 sets and would like the option).

Post Likes
    Brent, it is an excel spreadsheet file, I can't upload it here either.

Post Likes
    Brent,

Open it on your iPad and do a screenshot(s) then post those pics. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It's really big/lengthy. I would have to take 5 pics (or 6 or 7) then you guys would have piece the puzzle together. No thanks.

How about if you want a copy of the Cooper-Atkins 4005 chart just let me know and I will email it to you. Just make sure you have a good email address in your profile.

Post Likes
    I have the Grey clamps and they started doing this last year in August. They both bounce all over the place.. I have emailed a few times and haven't gotten a response back. I am planning on calling now as summer is here.
    I hadn't thought of the female end.. Hmm..
    Unfortunately the only other ones I have are the velcro straps and they are a pia.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Looks like the "10k 3A221" on the chart I linked earlier is very close to what Brent emailed me for the cooper.

Post Likes
    Just got confirmation that the 4005 and 4011 use the same thermistor.

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in