Thread: Heat pump choices

Post Likes

Heat pump choices

Dear forum,

I'm in Maryland and need to replace a 18+ years' old heat pump system for a 3-floor townhouse. I am looking for something in the middle-range (since we plan to keep the house for a while), single stage compressor, variable speed air handler, 2.5 ton system that has at least 15 seer rating and 9 hspf.

We got two proposals, both are around $x after rebates. Any suggestions?

1. Lennox (16 Seer, 9 hspf)
    Outdoor: XP17-030
    Indoor: CBX32MV030

2. Bryant: Preferred 15 seer with variable speed air handler
    Outdoor HP model: 225BNA030
    Indoor air handler model: FV4CNF002T00 (shows as legacy series on manufacturer's website)

Both include thermostat (lennox may be fancier) and customized return box.

Any suggestion or comments?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 05-01-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: removed pricing per site policy

Post Likes
    Lennox:
    15.50 SEER
    12.70 EER
    8.70 HSPF
    28,000 BTU cooling
    27,000 BTU heating at 47
    17,500 BTU heating at 17

Bryant:
    15.00 SEER
    12.50 EER
    8.50 HSPF
    28,000 BTU cooling
    27,600 BTU heating at 47
    16,600 BTU heating at 17

So from a performance standpoint awfully close. Neither have your 9.00 HSPF.

Lot of it boils down to the dealer you fell you'd be happiest with. What stat is Lennox dealer proposing?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response!

Wonder why the dealer gave me the numbers claiming they have 9 hspf ... the air handler?

Here are the numbers from Lennox: XP17-030 + CBX32MV030
    16 Seer
    13.5 EER
    9 HSPF
    29K BTU

Baldloonie, I hope I did not misunderstand when you asked "What stat ...?"

Post Likes
    He meant what thermostat(stat).

Post Likes
    My fault, looked wrong on the ratings site.

Post Likes
    You did not mention labor warranty, that is very important, without checking your units to see if they are in the same tier level, all brands make very little of their own parts, both those brands mentioned use a compressor made by someone else, along with majority of the functioning parts, which many of the parts are made in 2nd world countries, so reliability rests more on quality install and having a system occasionally Preventive Maintaince checked. If your existing outdoor unit outdoor shut off switch , as we call it a outdoor disconnect switch is non fused ,chances are your current breaker for the outdoor unit may be oversized for the newer more energy efficient units, hopefully either your electrician or theirs looks into it.

It is unfortunate that when a unit fails in the future people blame the manufacture when in reality the part that failed was probably made in another country and that part is only a vendor to the manufacture, but yet the manufacture gets the blame.

You also did not mention if they where going to replace the existing line set, if not they should check to make sure the existing line set is of adequate size for the new unit and more important ,that nowhere in your existing line set is there any soft solder fittings, as the new refrigerant is upwards of 60 % higher operating pressure and potential for future refrigerant leaks from those joints would be a very real situation.

Post Likes
    Ah ... I thought it was "Statistics" ...

The Lennox is quoted with the Icomfort WiFi

The Bryant is quoted with Honeywelll programmable

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He meant what thermostat(stat).

Post Likes
    Lennox proposal includes 5 yrs labor and 10 yrs parts.

Bryant has 3yrs and 10yrs.

The current outdoor switch has two battery-shaped things in it. It that the "fuse" Bazzoka was referring too?

For the line set, both told me they would "Flush out existing line set & pressure check system" Will it bring the cost up significantly if I request to replace the line set?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody14 View Post
    Lennox proposal includes 5 yrs labor and 10 yrs parts.

Bryant has 3yrs and 10yrs.

The current outdoor switch has two battery-shaped things in it. It that the "fuse" Bazzoka was referring too?

For the line set, both told me they would "Flush out existing line set & pressure check system" Will it bring the cost up significantly if I request to replace the line set?
    The outdoor shut off switch fuses would need to be checked to make sure they are not oversized for the new system, you may have as an example two 40 amp. Rated fuses now and the new unit may only require 30 amps. " maximum over current protection " it tells you on the outdoor unit electrical data plate the max. Size to use. As far as line set ,they need to verify the existing line set is the correct size for the new unit , not just tonnage wise but by length of run, also they need to verify that the existing line set does not have any soft solder connections, the only way ,if they plan on using the existing line set ( flushing it ) would be to remove the black armaflex insulation or peel back the insulation on the bigger line to see. Someone posted on a previous post that where they came from they only braze joints , from where I came from we soft soldered and braze R22 line sets, I'm only talking about somewhere in the middle of the line set ,not the two ends.i have seen many times either the liquid line or the vapor line having a coupling or 45 or 90 degree elbow somewhere on the line set where they used two pieces joined instead of one length

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Nobody14;18244101]Ah ... I thought it was "Statistics" ...

The Bryant is quoted with Honeywelll programmable[/QUOTE

Your getting caught up with all the bells and whistles of a flipping t-stat, when you should be more concerned with labor warranty and reputable of the Future Contractor doing an excellent install and following the install guide to the T and the line set thing mentioned and having correct fuse sizes.

Post Likes
    You are right, Bazooka. IMHO, as long as it is a programmable T-stat, I'll be happy with it. I only mentioned them because BaldLoonie asked.

Your comments on the fuse and the line set in the other post are well taken and much appreciated!

[QUOTE=Bazooka Joey;18244351]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody14 View Post
    Ah ... I thought it was "Statistics" ...

The Bryant is quoted with Honeywelll programmable[/QUOTE

Your getting caught up with all the bells and whistles of a flipping t-stat, when you should be more concerned with labor warranty and reputable of the Future Contractor doing an excellent install and following the install guide to the T and the line set thing mentioned and having correct fuse sizes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in