+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sealed Ducts?

Post Likes

Sealed Ducts?

I sealed the registers in my apartment because I was waking up coughing and felt ill. I'm not going to turn on the A/C, but am wondering if air pressure will build up and cause problems? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Well you'll dead head the fan(s), which can cause an electrical overload, overheating, and if the conditions are right a fire. I'll grant you that's worst case, but your best option is to turn the unit off entirely, either at the thermostat or a breaker, though this can cause problems in the refrigerant loop if left off for too long.

That's the "best option" in terms of stopping air flow, the BEST option is to (a) visit a doctor and find out why you are feeling ill, or (b) get the air quality in your home tested. I don't know where you live, but around here living without AC just isn't an option. If your landlord is a merciful ruler, you may be able to take your concerns to them, and get something done about it.

Post Likes

Dead Head

Quote Originally Posted by ba12348 View Post
    Well you'll dead head the fan(s), which can cause an electrical overload, overheating, and if the conditions are right a fire. I'll grant you that's worst case, but your best option is to turn the unit off entirely, either at the thermostat or a breaker, though this can cause problems in the refrigerant loop if left off for too long.

That's the "best option" in terms of stopping air flow, the BEST option is to (a) visit a doctor and find out why you are feeling ill, or (b) get the air quality in your home tested. I don't know where you live, but around here living without AC just isn't an option. If your landlord is a merciful ruler, you may be able to take your concerns to them, and get something done about it.
    Thanks, what does 'dead head' mean?

Post Likes
    Dead Head basically is running the fan with nowhere for the fan to push the air to which builds up the static pressure in the duct forcing the fan to work harder.
    Check your air filter and replace it if it is very dirty. I live in a dusty enviornment so I replace them each month with an inexpensive pleated one from Home Depot.
    They are about $8 and change for three of them.
    I would also take a screwdriver and remove a register and see how dirty/dusty it is in the duct.
    How old is the apartment building?
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Post Likes
    I agree with desert guy pull a couple of registers and see how dirty they are I live in the desert and most houses have evaporative coolers which really dirties up ductwork the company i work for offers duct cleaning service of which our machine does pretty good at cleaning them and then we fog the ductwork with an anti-microbial mist but it is also a good possibility that the ducts were not sealed when installed especially if it is an older building i have worked on numerous re-ducting jobs over the last year that I have been an installer and most were sealed with duct tape or not at all and if they are not sealed not only would you get attic dust in them but your efficiency goes out the window

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in