Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Not much can be done for floor registers. but the ceiling registers can be changed out to a better style that the throw can be adjusted toward the wall, instead of just down and sideways.
    Could you please send me either a picture of what you are talking about, or even better, a link to a website that sells them? I have already asked my contractor if there are better registers for my specific situation, but he said that this is what they always use for residential applications. I think I have a good contractor, but registers are just not his area of expertise. I think he will accept some guidance on this.

I think this is a very good idea. I'm not sure it will totally solve the problem, but it may make a good dent in it.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Have you tried raising the t-stat to +78^F <45%RH settings and room fans? You will need some supplemental dehumidification, I find this very comfortable. None of this bitterly cold air from the registers.
    Regards TB
    Thanks for the reply, TB.

I already do have supplemental dehumidification; in fact, it was actually you who convinced me to add this into the design last year. So keeping the humidity down is not a problem. But I think that even with the humidity down, I am going to need SOME air conditioning, especially at night (I can't sleep when I get too hot). So I still need to figure out a way to be able to use the AC. Any ideas would be appreciated.

And you are right when you call it "bitterly cold" air. I just want cool air, not bitterly cold!

Post Likes
    Hart&Cooley 92HVO.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ndeverest View Post
    Thanks for the reply, TB.

I already do have supplemental dehumidification; in fact, it was actually you who convinced me to add this into the design last year. So keeping the humidity down is not a problem. But I think that even with the humidity down, I am going to need SOME air conditioning, especially at night (I can't sleep when I get too hot). So I still need to figure out a way to be able to use the AC. Any ideas would be appreciated.

And you are right when you call it "bitterly cold" air. I just want cool air, not bitterly cold!
    With supplemental dehumidification, suggest locking in low speed compressor speed and increase the air flow over the cooling coil to raise temps air and the coil temp. High speed blower and low speed compressor will minimize the temp drop of the air flowing into the home. Also open the supply grills in the space you are not in. Restrict the supplies in the areas of the home that you are in.
    These are basics. What temps/%RH do you maintain?
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Hart&Cooley 92HVO.
    I think I would need registers with a damper on them though. Am I correct that this one does not have one?

I said earlier that we put manual dampers on each branch run near where they exit the trunk, but these are not always easily accessible. I would need to able to do some dampering at the registers too.

But yes, the ability to direct the air towards the outside wall would be a good idea. Do you know of one that does this but also dampers?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    With supplemental dehumidification, suggest locking in low speed compressor speed and increase the air flow over the cooling coil to raise temps air and the coil temp. High speed blower and low speed compressor will minimize the temp drop of the air flowing into the home. Also open the supply grills in the space you are not in. Restrict the supplies in the areas of the home that you are in.
    These are basics. What temps/%RH do you maintain?
    Regards TB
    I do have the supplies wide open in the areas of the house that I am not in as much, and the supplies restricted in areas that I am in more. But this doesn't really help all that much because I really do need to be in most areas of the house at one time or another.

I realize that if I increase the airspeed it will increase the temperature a bit, but it only does this by a minor amount and then the cold air blows on me all the harder. I am not sure this will really help.

You suggest locking in the low speed compressor. Can this even be done? But then what will I do on 100 degree days when I need high speed? I can't ask my contractor to go back and forth and adjust this all the time. Can I do this myself?

To answer your question, I keep the humidity in the low 40's, and the temperature about 73-74 range.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ndeverest View Post
    I think I would need registers with a damper on them though. Am I correct that this one does not have one?

I said earlier that we put manual dampers on each branch run near where they exit the trunk, but these are not always easily accessible. I would need to able to do some dampering at the registers too.

But yes, the ability to direct the air towards the outside wall would be a good idea. Do you know of one that does this but also dampers?
    Dampering at the register is not a good thing. Once balanced, you shouldn't need to be adjusting dampers anymore.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    If you can, please provide model numbers of the equipment. The other question is do you have the Infinity color Touchscreen control or regular control with red and blue buttons on the right hand side.

With this information, I can assist you and your contractor in making you more comfortable with proper configuration of the system. The Infinity is pretty flexible.

Also, ask your contractor to contact his sales rep.
    They may work out a deal for you to upgrade to Greenspeed. It does more closely match compressor to fan output. It never hurts to ask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12