Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 24 of 24
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    8,097
    Post Likes
    Go ahead tell them for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by YELLOW JACKET View Post
    Yes. $12.50 for S&H and we'll fix what's broken and update anything that's changed. Just like brand new!

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    246
    Post Likes
    Yes send them into YJ they will take care of you i should have mine back soon im excited. they were my main and will now be backup.... $12.50 you cant buy the parts to rebuild them for that. our coustomers let us the PRO'S ( US ) fix it we should let the PRO's fix our stuff
    Do it once. Do it correct.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahjohn View Post
    Yes send them into YJ they will take care of you i should have mine back soon im excited. they were my main and will now be backup.... $12.50 you cant buy the parts to rebuild them for that. our coustomers let us the PRO'S ( US ) fix it we should let the PRO's fix our stuff
    That's $12.50 return postage but you pay how much to ship? You can get a ten pack of "O" rings plus their grease for that same amount, do it yourself quicker and have parts for another time. I doubt if anything more than the "O" rings need to be replaced under normal use. These individual parts are sold like this for a reason. Just like hoses, do you replace seals or just chuck the hose?
    Bill

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    17,050
    Post Likes
    It's not the valves that go,it's mostly the gauge itself!

  5. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    It's not the valves that go,it's mostly the gauge itself!
    If they replace the gauges for $12.50, I'd be surprised but if they do, what a deal?
    Bill

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    148
    Post Likes
    The manifold bar is covered by a lifetime warranty. The bar includes everything but the hoses and gauges.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Where we mow our own grass
    Posts
    6,673
    Post Likes
    If anybody wants to ship a manifold get a postal service padded flat rate envelope. You can mail a series 41 for less than six bucks.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,337
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    That's $12.50 return postage but you pay how much to ship? You can get a ten pack of "O" rings plus their grease for that same amount, do it yourself quicker and have parts for another time. I doubt if anything more than the "O" rings need to be replaced under normal use. These individual parts are sold like this for a reason. Just like hoses, do you replace seals or just chuck the hose?
    This depends on the situation. One man owner-operator and DIYer economics don't apply universally. If the owner wants to round up company owned manifold one Friday and change out parts over the weekend himself so they're ready for them by Monday morning, all powers to him.

    If the owner wants to be penny wise, kiloton foolish, have the techs do it themselves using up the limited normal rate time allowance and overflow into overtime. If it took a tech 20 minutes and the overtime for this tech ended up being 2 hours that pay period, that time spent working on manifold pushed 20 minutes of other stuff into overtime zone. Payroll expense is around 1.3 to 2x the hourly rate! Save $15 on S&H and sending shipping by buying o-rings, waste $30 in labor cost. $50/hr (@ OT rate) x 1.8(taxes, other expenses like pension tied to hours like of clocked-in time) x 0.333hrs = $30. Labor ain't free buddy. Some techs and owners get wrapped up in material cost and often end up wasting far more than parts savings on payroll expenses. Techs would appreciate this easy work for sure. Company owners, investors.. ummm. not so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by YELLOW JACKET View Post
    Yes. $12.50 for S&H and we'll fix what's broken and update anything that's changed. Just like brand new!
    Seriously? This isn't made so well known. Since techs usually have more than one gauges, why shouldn't a shop send in a fleet of manifolds all at once at end of cooling season saving some for refrigeration and heat pump work?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    This depends on the situation. One man owner-operator and DIYer economics don't apply universally. If the owner wants to round up company owned manifold one Friday and change out parts over the weekend himself so they're ready for them by Monday morning, all powers to him.

    If the owner wants to be penny wise, kiloton foolish, have the techs do it themselves using up the limited normal rate time allowance and overflow into overtime. If it took a tech 20 minutes and the overtime for this tech ended up being 2 hours that pay period, that time spent working on manifold pushed 20 minutes of other stuff into overtime zone. Payroll expense is around 1.3 to 2x the hourly rate! Save $15 on S&H and sending shipping by buying o-rings, waste $30 in labor cost. $50/hr (@ OT rate) x 1.8(taxes, other expenses like pension tied to hours like of clocked-in time) x 0.333hrs = $30. Labor ain't free buddy. Some techs and owners get wrapped up in material cost and often end up wasting far more than parts savings on payroll expenses. Techs would appreciate this easy work for sure. Company owners, investors.. ummm. not so much.
    I come from a maintenance background, we didn't send anything back to a manufacturer to rebuild that we could ourselves.

    Yellow Jacket's policy is mentioned in your own thread: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....e-don-t-relate. Did you teardown to take pictures, make drawings, etc. and then scrap or did you repair also?
    Bill

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,337
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    I come from a maintenance background, we didn't send anything back to a manufacturer to rebuild that we could ourselves.

    Yellow Jacket's policy is mentioned in your own thread: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....e-don-t-relate. Did you teardown to take pictures, make drawings, etc. and then scrap or did you repair also?
    part of reverse engineering is figuring out what goes wrong, then verifying your diagnosis. Someone did mention sending it back, but I didn't know they'd refurbish your manifold block $12.95 flat given the wide parts availability, videos encouraging how to fix it yourself etc. It seems like this is a service they don't like to actively encourage people to use. The turn around time of "few weeks" is slow, so it requires good planning and having spares. If maintenance guy was there 9-5 everyday anyways and its just something to get added, sure, it makes sense. We're not living in 1970s now and many companies are identifying inefficiencies of having full time in-house maintenance. You'll find that many school districts and local governments are seeing substantial savings by contracting out custodial work to service providers instead of having FT custodians on district payroll.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    part of reverse engineering is figuring out what goes wrong, then verifying your diagnosis. Someone did mention sending it back, but I didn't know they'd refurbish your manifold block $12.95 flat given the wide parts availability, videos encouraging how to fix it yourself etc. It seems like this is a service they don't like to actively encourage people to use. The turn around time of "few weeks" is slow, so it requires good planning and having spares. If maintenance guy was there 9-5 everyday anyways and its just something to get added, sure, it makes sense. We're not living in 1970s now and many companies are identifying inefficiencies of having full time in-house maintenance. You'll find that many school districts and local governments are seeing substantial savings by contracting out custodial work to service providers instead of having FT custodians on district payroll.
    Small companies can hire maintenance on a contract basis or some have a general maintenance that does all. Component assembly lines that make $54,000/hr need full time maintenance or they lose $54,000/hr when they go down. Even they are slowly trying combine trades do save cost. I understand this isn't going to well also.
    Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •