+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intermatic Wall Timer Sparks, Trips Breaker

Post Likes

Intermatic Wall Timer Sparks, Trips Breaker

I have an Intermatic wall timer, model 885L that controls a single heat lamp in a bathroom. The house and timer (20 amp rating) are about 32 years old. Tonight while switching on the timer, a spark shot out of the wall and (fortunately) the breaker tripped before anything else happened.

Are there any known problems with these timers? I can have it easily replaced, but it gives me an uneasy feeling that this happened. I'm curious why something would work fine for years and suddenly fail like that. If it is a timer issue, I will have others in my house replaced too.

Kudos to the circuit breaker designer, it may have prevented Intermatic from starting a fire!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    I have an Intermatic wall timer, model 885L that controls a single heat lamp in a bathroom. The house and timer (20 amp rating) are about 32 years old. Tonight while switching on the timer, a spark shot out of the wall and (fortunately) the breaker tripped before anything else happened.

Are there any known problems with these timers? I can have it easily replaced, but it gives me an uneasy feeling that this happened. I'm curious why something would work fine for years and suddenly fail like that. If it is a timer issue, I will have others in my house replaced too.

Kudos to the circuit breaker designer, it may have prevented Intermatic from starting a fire!
    I'd be cking for a grnded/shorted heater before blaming the timer!
    (last closure in ckt gets the arc)

Post Likes
    I agree IRBH! Check to see if it is grounded out some where. Sparks to shot out in my opinion is an indication of a short.

Post Likes
    This all information for intermatic wall timer sparks while switching on the timer, a spark shot out of the wall and (fortunately) the breaker tripped before anything else happened.

Post Likes
    My Uncle lost his entire house to an old defective bath heatlamp, it started a smoldering fire in the attic, after his morning shower. When the sun hit the roof, air started moving and that's all it took.

Post Likes
    Install a 20 amp switch and measure the load on the heater. If it is within limits, replace the timer.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    At that age i am surprised it still worked.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in