+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange Yellow Jacket 3/8" charging hose failure.

Post Likes

Strange Yellow Jacket 3/8" charging hose failure.

I ran into this issue last night with a co-worker. We were having issues pulling a vacuum and transferring liquid on a supermarket rack and finally narrowed it down to a restriction in a 5ft charging hose. When we cut the hose in half, and then length wise, the entire length of the inner hose liner was collapsed on itself and blocking flow. This hose is 5 or 6 years old and has been used maybe 10 times total, including the night before, without any problems.

Any theories on what happened?

Name:  2014-03-06 01.21.12.jpg
Views: 2555
Size:  76.7 KB

Post Likes
    I had a similar thing happen to a 1/2 appion

Couldn't get flow and thought something was stuck
    Sent a wire down it to see where it was blocked and it went end to end no problem lol
    Went back to check flow and nothing
    Weird problem if you haven't seen that before

Post Likes
    Never had a problem like that. Mine usually start leaking around the ends. I use my hoses a lot on supermarket racks too

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    FWIW Appion took care of my hose very quick with out issue.

Post Likes
    Not sure why you are using 1/4" hoses to evacuate? That must take a long time. I have had some hose failures just like what you describe. I have one that refrigerant will barely pass through.

Post Likes
    Not the same, but similar.

I had the exact thing happen to my 1 year old Ace Hardware never kink garden hose last week. Whole inner hose collapsed.
    Took it to the store and they replaced with new hose.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick Carl View Post
    Not the same, but similar.

I had the exact thing happen to my 1 year old Ace Hardware never kink garden hose last week. Whole inner hose collapsed.
    Took it to the store and they replaced with new hose.
    Lmao

Post Likes
    Maybe yellow jacket will sfart making "pocket hose charging hoses". The hose. that grows !!!!

9. Likes drpeel, Lidecharr liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What an interesting failure. I have heard of a flap coming loose in brake lines creating a check valve that drives technicians crazy.

11. Likes Frostmonkey74 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have IH 2.5 ton truck. The main rubber vacuum line from the manifold to the hydrovac delaminated when only braking hard. Took awhile to find that.

Some vehicles have exhaust pipes that have two layers. They can have clogging problems. The inside layer collapses.

Post Likes
    I use S.S flared head hose for my vacuuming on large units . Usually 1/2" flared . And I am using medical vacuum pumps two stage rotary vane pumps such as Edwards28, Alcatel- Adixen 2021I[/I] or Varian DS602 range between 14-18 CFM , tested to 6 micron . I'll bring down my vacuum in some cases to 15-20 microns , and hold it on 250 -400 microns . Due to rubber hose out-gasing its really difficult to set your micron range correct . Now we have these VRF systems all over the town with hell of developed length of ref lines and our conventional vacuum pumps are not meant to do these tasks . As far as conventional vacuum pump I didnt see any better pump than J.B DV-285N 10 CFM .

Post Likes
    What Turbo said above is right on! The outgassing on rubber hoses can cause you a headache. I use the heavy black hoses on all my manifolds and have hoses dedicated for vacuum. I was pulling a machine down a few weeks ago and could not get where I needed to be. It would go to about 1800 microns and wouldn't come any further even after sweeping it with nitrogen. I knew I was tight. Decided to pull against just the hose and the issue became apparent quick. Picked up a new hose and circuit pulled down within a couple of hours and held. Old hose looked good, seals were new and no issues apparent.
    You are better off using soft copper to pull your vacuum if you can. I don't typically just because if storing it when I'm not using it. Even when charging I've found copper to be better. Charged over 1200# into a system in just over a hour a while back in a built up system using copper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mspanky View Post
    I ran into this issue last night with a co-worker. We were having issues pulling a vacuum and transferring liquid on a supermarket rack and finally narrowed it down to a restriction in a 5ft charging hose. When we cut the hose in half, and then length wise, the entire length of the inner hose liner was collapsed on itself and blocking flow. This hose is 5 or 6 years old and has been used maybe 10 times total, including the night before, without any problems.

This same thing must have happened to 72" set with BVs that I returned. I prefer the old style hoses.
    Seems they are obsolete now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mspanky View Post

This same thing must have happened to 72" set with BVs that I returned. I prefer the old style hoses.
    Seems they are obsolete now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBOCHILL View Post
    I use S.S flared head hose for my vacuuming on large units . Usually 1/2" flared . And I am using medical vacuum pumps two stage rotary vane pumps such as Edwards28, Alcatel- Adixen 2021I[/I] or Varian DS602 range between 14-18 CFM , tested to 6 micron . I'll bring down my vacuum in some cases to 15-20 microns , and hold it on 250 -400 microns . Due to rubber hose out-gasing its really difficult to set your micron range correct . Now we have these VRF systems all over the town with hell of developed length of ref lines and our conventional vacuum pumps are not meant to do these tasks . As far as conventional vacuum pump I didnt see any better pump than J.B DV-285N 10 CFM .
    Where do you get the SS hoses?

Post Likes
    think YJ.
    Johnstone ordered a set for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    Where do you get the SS hoses?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in