Thread: York YPAL

Post Likes

York YPAL

I have just recently taken over a roof full of these YPAL090NCC46BBAS units....Installed in 2004

Last year, the customer had 28 compressors replaced by the OEM.(understood, ....lots of reasons for failures, but.........)

The customer told me that the OEM had mentioned a possibility that compressor failures were more likely due to the design of the condenser coils being 407C or 22 (these are 22.....I never did get the whole story on the coil issue)

I only did a walk through the other day and noticed that the ends of the condenser coils are VERY hard to reach for a GOOD cleaning, and some of the condenser fans were not moving as much air as some others, but....aside from obvious stuff...Anyone know of repeat failures or problems with these Manurup compressors used in the YPAls in this generation. (STYLE B)

Haven't put the gauges on any yet but just looking for info on compressor issues that are known....I did notice that some of the compressors have Danfoss Maneurop and others have just danfoss Performer....could this be a design problem with the original comps in these units and when York changed some out, they used another Danfoss comp????

May have to look into that one.

Last edited by bradysmill; 10-07-2007 at 12:33 AM.

Post Likes
    Have not seen the Manuropes in the rooftop aplications as I dont do much RTU work. However am familiar with them on the York rooftop condensing units, same thing just on their custom ahu's. They had a rash of comp failures using these compressers in the early 2000's on the air cooled scroll chillers. They added discharge check valves and crank case heaters which helped resolve the compresser failures. Then they went to Copeland scrolls with the check valves and cch's and the problem seems to have cleared up.

IMO the Manurope scroll compressors are junk.
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Post Likes

Oil equaling line differences

These Maneurop Danfoss Performer compressors came out in 1993. They are now the same ones that are made for Trane.....maybe that explains all of the failures that Trane has on theirs too.

Gotta love that 3/8" oil equalizing line on the Tranes.

These Danfoss comps all lock up as do the Tranes and have the same small oil equalizing line as do the Tranes....If you noticed, the Units with the Copeland scrolls, have an equalizing line about 1 3/8" and they run with no problems....other than cracked discharge fittings, makes you wonder.

Post Likes
    The equipment is junk not the compressors.
    I don't think your unit is old enough but they rewired and changed some logic in slightly older ones, you'd see something called a "smart relay" in the top left of the control panel and hopefully new wiring diagrams on the doors.
    maybe yours was supposed to be rewired but never was or wired incorrectly.

Those units are a joke.
    My co-worker was just looking at a unit I did the start-up on a few years ago, it's got a bad board, again (York recently changed the board).
    There is no literature for these units, whatever crap has been writen, the units had been changed about the same time the ink dried and the engineers won't talk to me since I'm not with Dork anymore.
    Nothing but problems since day 1. Only thing that will fix those units is replacing them with a Trane. York deserves a class action lawsuit.
    Last edited by AC-boy; 10-07-2007 at 01:17 AM.

Post Likes
    call York batimore parts ask for tech support they will transfer you to chiller help 1 tier down from product support you need to have ready for them software revision from the panels they have been upgraded several times.it will be on boards plus you need to go to copeland compressors the danfoss have been phasing out.the failure rate has declined since the change.WE are having a YPAL class coming up shortly I could see if I can get some info for you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heaviwall View Post
    WE are having a YPAL class coming up shortly I could see if I can get some info for you.
    That would be great....would be an interesting class.
    I think you are right----Copelands are the way to go for sure, is York shipping Copelands as a replacement or just get the Copeland rack from a supply house and swap yourself ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ACwhore View Post
    you'd see something called a "smart relay" in the top left of the control panel and hopefully new wiring diagrams on the doors.
    maybe yours was supposed to be rewired but never was or wired incorrectly.

Did see a wiring revision pasted over the original, will look into this...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in