Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Cable techs way of locating phones wires

I'd like to think the customer was just elderly and confused. But she was the one that found the problem. Call came in as "no heat - nothing coming on-thinks cable co. cut wires." I'm suspect, of course; but upon arriving I ask if the problem actually started as soon as the cable people left. She said yes, absolutely - and took me right downstairs and literally pointed right at the problem.

She went on to explain that the cable tech was trying to locate phone wires, so she (the tech) cut the stat wires, went back upstairs and said that wasn't it, then went back down stairs and cut the two wire going outside. She never did find the phone lines and they are going to have to come back out. In the meantime, the customer has no phone, tv or internet.

I can't even hazard a guess as to how that was supposed to work? Did the cable tech really attempt to locate the phone wires by randomly cutting stuff? Wouldn't even a total non mechanical person figure that the wires leading down the electrical conduit to the furnace and going inside the furnace have nothing to do with the phone lines? Did she not get any training at all? Are you freaking kidding me???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I'd hate to think that the poor cable company might have to pay for that. Here comes another 10% rate hike on everyone's cable bill.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Cable companies "Professional Installation" what a joke, when I hear that I laugh. That photo is proof.

Post Likes
    They actually were there to "bundle" all of her services into one of their packages to save her money. They left her with no services whatsoever.

And to add to the fun...I leaned my knee on some sort of Black and Decker work table type thing and shifted a bit too much weight onto it.

{{{Crack}}} She didn't even flinch - far more concerned about her heat. As I moved it back into the corner I noticed it was clearly labeled with international symbols for no kneeling, sitting, standing etc.

Post Likes

Wish I had a pic of the cable (orange wire) run diagonal through my moms yard and smug up against her above ground pool. Going from the pole to her neighbors.

She cussed him and cut it as soon as he left. Left it lay snipped. Couldn't believe it, laughed pretty hard about that one.

I guess the installer figured a duplex home shared yards and my mom was a reasonable person. He was wrong.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    They actually were there to "bundle" all of her services into one of their packages to save her money. They left her with no services whatsoever.

And to add to the fun...I leaned my knee on some sort of Black and Decker work table type thing and shifted a bit too much weight onto it.

{{{Crack}}} She didn't even flinch - far more concerned about her heat. As I moved it back into the corner I noticed it was clearly labeled with international symbols for no kneeling, sitting, standing etc.
    Alleged "bundling" company wouldn't be Charter, would it?

Post Likes
    Some training is needed, along with some drug testing. That looks like synthetic stuped.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    I take it they cut your wires too.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    One and the same. Not that it matters...all the communication companies seem to have their fair share of issues.

When my wife switched to Dish years ago they were supposed to show up at 8...then 10, 12-2, 2-4...They finally showed up shorty before I got home and I joked to them that the Wheel starts at 6:30 - so could they please hurry it up. I finally, 4 hours later, two more trucks having shown up for a total of 5 or 6 techs, and having spotted the old cable (some of which I installed) ripped out and laying on my basement floor); threw them out at by about 11 o'clock or so. I remember some muscle bound black guy trying to be professional, and telling me he will not allow me to talk to his people as I was (had a full head of steam going by then, as I was without TV of any kind at this point...little bit of Seagrams VO at that point as well). I yelled something about how apparently he's full of sh!t because I'm doing it right now. I still wear a pair of one of their sun glasses they left behind as they fled. My wife and neighbors still tell the story at every gathering.

I called them the next morning, got someone named "Mary" in India and then some one back here; gave them an ultimatum that included my wife's law firm. Also included was arriving at my home at 5 sharp at my convenience (since my wife already sacrificed a day). They must have congregated at a nearby parking lot as 5 pm saw three vans and a pick up truck pull up. Finest, sharpest crew I've ever seen. Done in two hours, everything working.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    One and the same. Not that it matters...all the communication companies seem to have their fair share of issues.

When my wife switched to Dish years ago they were supposed to show up at 8...then 10, 12-2, 2-4...They finally showed up shorty before I got home and I joked to them that the Wheel starts at 6:30 - so could they please hurry it up. I finally, 4 hours later, two more trucks having shown up for a total of 5 or 6 techs, and having spotted the old cable (some of which I installed) ripped out and laying on my basement floor); threw them out at by about 11 o'clock or so. I remember some muscle bound black guy trying to be professional, and telling me he will not allow me to talk to his people as I was (had a full head of steam going by then, as I was without TV of any kind at this point...little bit of Seagrams VO at that point as well). I yelled something about how apparently he's full of sh!t because I'm doing it right now. I still wear a pair of one of their sun glasses they left behind as they fled. My wife and neighbors still tell the story at every gathering.

I called them the next morning, got someone named "Mary" in India and then some one back here; gave them an ultimatum that included my wife's law firm. Also included was arriving at my home at 5 sharp at my convenience (since my wife already sacrificed a day). They must have congregated at a nearby parking lot as 5 pm saw three vans and a pick up truck pull up. Finest, sharpest crew I've ever seen. Done in two hours, everything working.
    I went with dish several years ago. Tried going back to cable once. Ran back to Dish in less than a month.

Can't stand cable. Now I don't use any. Rabbit ears, Netflix, Hulu and Prime. $24 a mo. for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I went with dish several years ago. Tried going back to cable once. Ran back to Dish in less than a month.

Can't stand cable. Now I don't use any. Rabbit ears, Netflix, Hulu and Prime. $24 a mo. for everything.

What are you using to stream Netflix and Hulu over, the Dish?

Post Likes
    Roku, Wii U, blu ray player

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast