Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Soldier going civilian needing some advice

Im new to the site not sure if this is where questions like these are being posted I'm sure this will sound very novice but figured I would try lol. Like the title says im getting out of the army soon but dont have any experience working on anything close to my job. Im type one and two ceritfied already and just wanted to know if there are any schools i can do to refresh what i learned in AIT on air conditioners, or is it more of a learn as you go type field. Even though i am a hard worker and quick learner i dont feel comfortable saying i know really anything about the job. Which in return makes me a lil nervous about getting into the field and getting over my head. I dont think since i am certified i need to go thru the whole school again, but will if its recommended thats what i should do to make sure Im proficent and qualified for this field. Any and all info you can give me on the subject will be much appreciated thanks.

Post Likes
    type one and two certified for what?

Post Likes
    STay in the Army, get your 20 then come out into the field!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes
    I run an HVAC Program for Kaplan Career Institute in Pittsburgh Pa. I was military also, and know how hard the transition can be

Post Likes
    When I got out of AIT i was given two cards one is CFC/HCFC refrigerqant processing cert that says type one and two and the other is a refrigant recovery/recycle card. If that means anything.

Post Likes
    Type I and Type II EPA certification authorized you to work on small appliances and window shakers. Type 2 allows you to work on high pressure residential split systems.

Your other card is your 609 certification, which allowed you to work on the HMMVEE AC systems.

I was an HVAC Instructor for both the Army and Marines at APG Maryland. I may have taught you

Post Likes
    Yea I called the Ed center here on post the only thing they offered to me is an apprenticeship that i dont qualify for because of my ets date. So its a lil overwhelming to get something started, but I have my Gi bill to go to school with. I was just looking for a lil info or advice. If I should further the school or if what i have would be good, and i could compete with the other applicants out there.

Post Likes
    Thats awesome about you being an instructor for us 91c's lol unforntunatly i was at Ft Lee Virginia

Post Likes
    I can tell you from personal experience. Military and Civilian sides are somewhat different. You are probably great at troubeshooting, but wouldnt have the slightest clue about how to install an Air Conditioner or Furnace. (its not like running flex duct through a hole in a tent). If you really want to stay in HVAC, i would say use your GI Bill and go back to school.

Post Likes
    My honest opinion though. Times are hard out here as a civilian. Military benefits make it worth it. STAY IN AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!! Lets talk dollars.... I was a 12 year E-6 when I got out. I started my current job at $70,000 annual Salary. That took me a lot of work to get into that job..And I get paid less than I did while I was in.

Post Likes
    Ok too easy man I guess i already knew it would be the best thing to do, but I didnt know how far those certs would get me in the civilian world figured id see what others had to say. Have you been out of the military and in the job very long. Is it worth getting into this type of career I know the feild isnt going anywhere for awhile where I'll be at. People in North Carolina wouldn't make it thru the summer without a/c lol. I mean do you progress fairly quick, is it more troubleshooting or installing, or does it really just depend if your doing residential verse commericial type stuff. Sorry about all the questions if they are too broad but reality i just dont know another way to find out....

Post Likes
    Ive been out for about 2 years. Been teaching ever since. Im assuming that you are in Fort Bragg. The work there would be any number of things. You could start out doing basic installs as a helper, or you could be handling service contracts. It really depends on where you can get your foot in the door.

Post Likes
    Dont freak out though. You wouldn't be working by your self as an entry level technician. In North Carolina, the starting may can range anywhere from $10-$13 an hour. Get in school fast and use that GI Bill to supplement your income. Hopefully you can get into night classes and work in the field during the day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast