+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low hot water pressure

Post Likes

Low hot water pressure

I have a home from 1964 and have extremely low hot water pressure. Cold is great on the other hand. I just replaced water heater due to leaking tank so that's not an issue. Seems our hot runs out faster than it should also. Any ideas would be great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    There is too much here that isn't known about the system, but I will hazard a guess that the plumbing lines in the house are not sized correctly and there are a LOT of elbows and tees. In 1964 there were a lot of homes built that don't have any 3/4" copper at all and the water heater is at the far end of the system.

Post Likes
    It is at the far end of the system correct. What size pipe should I be using from heater to use points?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    most houses back then had galvanized steel water lines. a few had copper. 3/4" copper or pex is the standard now. if pex, the first few feet should be metallic in order to keep the plastic 18" away from the hot flue pipe.

most houses back then had one large supply line that branched out to each fixture. Run a 3/4" line from the tank, branch out with 1/2" to each fixture. Replace all the lines (dont leave old steel inside the walls). yes, some replacements will be a *****, but it pays in the end.

make sure you insulate the hot water lines when you're done. If you're replacing all the lines consider adding a recirculation loop to help get hot water quicker to the far end of the line.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Low water pressure can make the simplest task very difficult and insufficient. Many tasks regarding water can be done in slow motion due to this low pressure, specially in winter season this problem is occurred due to the sludge build up in the your water heater.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J View Post
    specially in winter season this problem is occurred due to the sludge build up in the your water heater.
    ummm no. it would take massive amounts of 'sludge' in the tank to create a low hot water pressure problem (like filled to the top amounts) and it wouldnt occur only in the wintertime.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Agree with HVAC_Marc. It isn't sludge. If you don't want to do a real flow demand analysis just replace the line out of the water heater to the first major T. That is the most bang for the buck.

Post Likes
    Low water pressure is caused by the sediment,rust, calcium, deposit or other debris in the plumbing lines or faucets. It was also due to the sink faucet, you must remove the pair of pliers if you want to resolve the issue of low water pressure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Whitmir View Post
    It was also due to the sink faucet, you must remove the pair of pliers if you want to resolve the issue of low water pressure.
    pliers stuck inside the faucet is ALWAYS bad.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    A hard-water buildup in the pipes can block water flow into and out of the hot water heater, resulting in low pressure.

Post Likes
    90% if not a hundred of the slow hot water flow that I have experience doing maintenance changing out hot water heaters has always been the gate style shut off valve right there at the hot water heater Inlet at some point it would likely have been turned off and not fully opened as it would fail internally. Best bet is to cut that gate valve off install a ball valve. Good luck. Cold showers suck.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Did you happen to look in the pipes when the heater was removed? Did you flush or replace the shut off valve entering water? Did you pull the aerator at the faucets?

Post Likes
    If you have galvanized water lines that’s your issue right there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in