Post Likes

JCI FX Integration

I am trying to integrate to a JCI FX system ( some FX-70's) Would it be possible to just plug in and discover the devices through BACnet or would I have to get some kind of field server to pull in all the points on the system? I was thinking that maybe if it has the BACnet driver then integrating this way would be fairly easy and might be a plug and play operation without the need of any kind of additional set up? The system is currently N2 but has an open port on it to possibly use for BACnet?

thanks for the help!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jash1297 View Post
    I am trying to integrate to a JCI FX system ( some FX-70's) Would it be possible to just plug in and discover the devices through BACnet or would I have to get some kind of field server to pull in all the points on the system? I was thinking that maybe if it has the BACnet driver then integrating this way would be fairly easy and might be a plug and play operation without the need of any kind of additional set up? The system is currently N2 but has an open port on it to possibly use for BACnet?

thanks for the help!!!
    Dude, you are talking about several licensing issues, possibly a full blown server option ( depending on how many some FX70s equals) and some bucks being spent. Don't think your gonna wham bam this without money being spent. I suggest you seriously look at the existing architect and the real cost of doing it, including new programming. Don't embarrass the customer or yourself until you figure out exactly whats involved.

Post Likes
    So your looking to bring mulitple FX-70s onto one central location via a FX-Server?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mechdorn View Post
    Dude, you are talking about several licensing issues, possibly a full blown server option ( depending on how many some FX70s equals) and some bucks being spent. Don't think your gonna wham bam this without money being spent. I suggest you seriously look at the existing architect and the real cost of doing it, including new programming. Don't embarrass the customer or yourself until you figure out exactly whats involved.
    That is kind of what I am getting at what would be the best way to integrate into the JCI FX controller and pull the points into a new BMS system? From what I can tell the FX-70 is essentially a Tridium JACE controller with different software. Also from what I can tell the JCI FX 70 has two ethernet ports that con be configured with different drivers. One with N2 (which is already set up) and an open one.( that I presume could be set up for BACnet) My thoughts are either go this route, I am not a JCI FX distributor so I do not know what would be involved with this. My other thoughts would be to buy field servers http://www.fieldserver.com/ to integrate to the JCI FX system and pull the points in that way. If we go the route of full control of the JCI system as well as monitoring I do realize new programming would be required. Any thoughts on this? I am searching for the best possible integration option as cost is not an issue.

Post Likes
    That is kind of what I am getting at what would be the best way to integrate into the JCI FX controller and pull the points into a new BMS system
    Via the Niagara network to another Tridium based device would be the easiest I would suspect, assuming you can wrangle the licenses to allow this.

My thoughts are either go this route, I am not a JCI FX distributor so I do not know what would be involved with this.
    You would have to setup all the points to export out and add any licenses required if they are not already present. If you have not done this with a Jace, you may be better off having someone that is do it.

My other thoughts would be to buy field servers http://www.fieldserver.com/ to integrate to the JCI FX system and pull the points in that way. If we go the route of full control of the JCI system as well as monitoring I do realize new programming would be required. Any thoughts on this? I am searching for the best possible integration option as cost is not an issue.
    Can the FX stay in place with the fieldserver? If not, any logic, schedules, etc in the FX would have to be redone on your end. If the FX stays, what happens when you both command the same point?
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    From what I see on the FX70 documentation is that all that would be needed to communicate with other BMS systems is a driver and possibly a com card. At least that is according to FX70 documentation. I am very curious how this would work on a set up point of view. I don't think licensing would be much of an issue unless I missing or forgetting something? I am very curious how points would come in. If i were to bring in all points individually and allow for control to be handled on jci end. Even if I sent a command to a point being controlled in a program wouldn't that just override the point as if it were being commanded by the jci controller? A point overridden is a point overridden right?