Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Likes
    This are brand new LED TVs and energy star usage on then said like 19$ per year or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    TURN FAN to AUTO

Read meter daily at the same time and write it down.
    Its already on Auto.. I`m trying to read everyday to see what I see. THanks

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Is your house > 60 years old?
    Yes its from 1959, but we just renovated it

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    How many watts does the ignition system take?
    Really no idea, dunno where to check eather

Post Likes
    The "how many watts does the ignition system take?" question was really directed primarily towards my fellow ponderers here. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by yozh View Post

Really no idea, dunno where to check eather
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Im sorry I forgot to mention this are brand new systems put in last year and were first used September.

In book its listed as PSC 1/2 motors 4 speed.

So you guys think my elec bills are high due to this motors ?
    Two 1/2 hp motors will cost you 33 cents per hour to run both of them at the same time.... so the numbers go like this.... the nec gives amperage at 9.8 amps for a 1/2 hp motor... so it's 9.8 x 120 = 1176 watts X 2 motors = 2252 total watts / 1000 to get to KW hours = 2.2 kwh X your electrical rate (I used 15 cents per kwh) = 33 cents per hour of operation.... if you assume your units ran a total of 15 hours per day each for 30 days you will come up with the cost of 148.00 dollars per month to run those two motors... or $4.95 per day.... isn't it amazing how much a few cents adds up... Your wife's 1000 watt hair dryer will cost you 15 cents an hour to run.... so in a months time that costs $4.50 but on the upside you gain 102,300 btu's of heat with her hair dryer.....
    For the Government to Give Something to you - THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT WAY FROM SOMEONE ELSE FIRST...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    Two 1/2 hp motors will cost you 33 cents per hour to run both of them at the same time.... so the numbers go like this.... the nec gives amperage at 9.8 amps for a 1/2 hp motor... so it's 9.8 x 120 = 1176 watts X 2 motors = 2252 total watts / 1000 to get to KW hours = 2.2 kwh X your electrical rate (I used 15 cents per kwh) = 33 cents per hour of operation.... if you assume your units ran a total of 15 hours per day each for 30 days you will come up with the cost of 148.00 dollars per month to run those two motors... or $4.95 per day.... isn't it amazing how much a few cents adds up... Your wife's 1000 watt hair dryer will cost you 15 cents an hour to run.... so in a months time that costs $4.50 but on the upside you gain 102,300 btu's of heat with her hair dryer.....
    Well my rate is 21 cents.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    The "how many watts does the ignition system take?" question was really directed primarily towards my fellow ponderers here. <g>

PHM
    -------
    About 2 watts for the 30 seconds its energized.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Well my rate is 21 cents.
    Same formula = $207.90 per month based on the same assumptions as I listed above...
    For the Government to Give Something to you - THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT WAY FROM SOMEONE ELSE FIRST...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by genman View Post
    Same formula = $207.90 per month based on the same assumptions as I listed above...
    So it is the blowers then ?

Post Likes
    According to my KW meter my 1/3HP PSC blower driving a 10x8 blower wheel uses 345W on low, 480W on high. Motor is rated for 5.1Amps. 1/2HP motor should be slightly more. Igniter uses about 50W (wattage drops as it heats up), but isn't on long enough to have a meaningful effect on the power bill. Inducer fan is 150W. Inducer + Blower on low = 500W.

Post Likes
    Ignitors can be on for longer, or more likely; repeated periods. And I think you will find them using closer to 500 watts than 50 watts.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    According to my KW meter my 1/3HP PSC blower driving a 10x8 blower wheel uses 345W on low, 480W on high. Motor is rated for 5.1Amps. 1/2HP motor should be slightly more. Igniter uses about 50W (wattage drops as it heats up), but isn't on long enough to have a meaningful effect on the power bill. Inducer fan is 150W. Inducer + Blower on low = 500W.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Mine runs 20 seconds per cycle, 4 cycles per hour maximum. 16Hrs/month @ 500W (using your figure) x 10cents (our power rate) per KWH = 80 cents per month.

Post Likes
    Im sorry guys, but what do we think at this point ? Could it be the furnace is the electricity bill boost or not ? I checked the house and meter and I cant find any indecation that its not the furnace.

Post Likes
    Could be. Your old furnaces had the same type blowers so the electric bill would have been the same but the gas bill higher.

Three story 3000 square foot house in an area with a 20+ cent per KW rate = big bills. We live in 1/3rd the space with rates less than half that. Combined electric and gas was under $135 last month and it was mighty cold.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Could be. Your old furnaces had the same type blowers so the electric bill would have been the same but the gas bill higher.
    I never had an old furnace we bought this house in Sept 2012 it had oil with converted to gas renovated everything and moved in Sept 2013. So i have nothing to compare but 2 months before.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast