Thread: Limits to exhausting heat with an in-line return fan?

Post Likes

Limits to exhausting heat with an in-line return fan?

My question is in regards to the efficiency of in-line fans for central A/C return. There is a room in my home dedicated to computer equipment, and recently I’ve installed a bunch of hardware which gets really hot (and I have it running for 60-70% of the day). A few years ago I had an 8” return duct installed into the ceiling of this room. I remember the guy who installed it telling me that if should I need more circulation in the future, I could have an in-line fan installed into this duct. So my question is this: are there residential return-fans available with enough of power to exhaust this heat from my room? The return-vent goes back into the central unit (in the attic); does this limit the amount of heat which I can return through this duct? Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Post Likes
    The fan would work better in the supply.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in