Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    And keep us waiting, with not a care in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Doctors and lawyers overbook their office to maximize billable hours.

Post Likes
    Here's my stock answer to people checking prices on the internet. First a question. How did you know on what parts to look up prices on the internet. I mean, let's got back to before the tech arrived on scene. Did you first look up the igniter and t-stat costs? Or did you do that AFTER the tech gave you the slip with the costs listed? The cost on the internet is DO IT YOURSELF cost. That means you diagnose the problem, purchase the parts, await their arrival, install them and then warrant the repair, all without any assistance, just like the tech in the house did! If you can't or won't do that, then when you call the techs out, they charge for the part cost, the labor cost, the overhead costs ( insurance, rent, office staff, answering service, cell phones, pagers, uniforms, tools, trucks, fuel, payroll labor burden, and don't forget a small profit too!) and in the case of a plumber, even a permit and/or license costs. But above all else, is the education and experience that allows them to make timely repairs. If you're not equipped to do the job yourself, then don't crab about the costs of a pro. And if you think it's bad now, wait a few years when all us gray hairs have retired and all your left with are the few who didn't go to college! 'Cuz you're never find a majority of college grads doing PHVAC.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    I dunno about that, college grads are doing all types of work these days in order to pay the bills. Worthless degrees are at an all time high, and the kids are shocked when they graduate without a $100k job. Trade schools are enrolling at record numbers, but that doesn't mean they learned anything while they were there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gregory View Post
    One of my service trucks is using almost 700 a month is diesel fuel. The dr drives his prius to the office and stays there all day. He may even get a chance to eat lunch

$700 a month for fuel? That's cheap. I put anywhere from $75-100/day in mine. Sometimes that is six or seven days a week. I have several times had to refuel more than once a day.

Our service is expensive (for us and the customer). I think that some customers think 100% of a bill is profit. Much less than you think mr homeowner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    "I realized you're furnace would fail last month and I already have your part right here."

Thats what you pay for.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. Without the pricing reference, I imagine I look like every whiney customer you ever quoted, but I still maintain I got gouged a bit. Looks like a couple of you who may have seen the post prior to edit agreed, but I'm feeling better about it after reading your collective opinions. I've got a little more clarity of thought regarding what it cost to do your business, the immediacy of the position I was in, and the final outcome of the work that was done. Part of my anger was probably due to the fact that I'm mechanically inclined and know enough about some things to be dangerous. If I hadn't been up against the clock, the furnace igniter is the first thing I'd have checked, and probably saved half this bill, but the reality is I didn't have that option. Instead a highly trained guy did, and he didn't come cheap. As for the thermostat, maybe it was broke, maybe it wasn't. I tend to be more leery of unnecessary parts up-sells in the auto repair business, but I'm sure there's a boneyard littered with perfectly functioning mercury thermostats somewhere. I stand by my sentiment beginning my original post. You guys save ours butts at the worst times and circumstances. I joined the forum because of interest in what you do and to hopefully pick up some knowledge and save a few bucks when possible. While you don't condone or advocate DIY, most of you seem gracious enough to dispense a tidbit of knowledge and direction where you see fit. It is appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    Doctors and lawyers don't keep have a tenth of the overhead that contractors have. We make a decent living but most of us aren't flying down the road in our Mercedes to our 8 am tee time on a week day.
    Not sure about that statement. Most live life higher on the hog than they can afford. I've got a customer that's a doctor. He told me his overhead before he makes any money is $50K a month. Moderate sized doctor, 3 other docs with him. His overhead is mostly labor just to deal with insurance. 3 full time people just to deal with it.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    Doctors and lawyers don't keep have a tenth of the overhead that contractors have. We make a decent living but most of us aren't flying down the road in our Mercedes to our 8 am tee time on a week day.
    Reminds me of a cartoon that showed a plumber handing his bill to a doctor... the doctor did a double take and swallowed hard then said "that is more than a doctor makes" the plumber said.... I know... I used to be a doctor...
    For the Government to Give Something to you - THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT WAY FROM SOMEONE ELSE FIRST...

Post Likes
    I dunno about that, college grads are doing all types of work these days in order to pay the bills. Worthless degrees are at an all time high, and the kids are shocked when they graduate without a $100k job. Trade schools are enrolling at record numbers, but that doesn't mean they learned anything while they were there.
    Yes you are correct good service techs for hvac and plumbing are hard to find! A guy straight out of trade school really only knows what he was tought in a book. He has no real world experience so we have to teach them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Not sure about that statement. Most live life higher on the hog than they can afford. I've got a customer that's a doctor. He told me his overhead before he makes any money is $50K a month. Moderate sized doctor, 3 other docs with him. His overhead is mostly labor just to deal with insurance. 3 full time people just to deal with it.
    And with obamacare his costs aren't getting cheaper. You would think with all the insurance processing costs doctors would have a special "self pay" rate that is equal to or less than the insurance companies allow for a service. Doctors could offer a substantial discount for upfront payment.

Post Likes
    And with obamacare his costs aren't getting cheaper. You would think with all the insurance processing costs doctors would have a special "self pay" rate that is equal to or less than the insurance companies allow for a service. Doctors could offer a substantial discount for upfront payment.
    Makes since better to get 75% of payment then trying to fit insurance companies and some people who refuse to pay there medical bills.

I had one doctor who I use to go to who retired and work for him at his home tell me that's why he went ahead and retired to much to deal with.

Post Likes
    Doctor charges $100 for an office visit, Customer pays $25 co-pay. Insurance "allows" $60 total charge and pays $35. Doctor has to "eat" the $40, which he knew the insurance wasn't going to pay anyway. Cash customer comes in and is expected to pay the full $100? WTF? Why can't the cash customer pay $55 before services rendered? No hassling with getting paid, filing claims etc...

Post Likes
    One thing that has not been mentioned.

Doctors only have to work on 2 models; male and female. We have to work on many different models and stock parts for them also.
    Doug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast