Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Even plain resistance heating shouldn't be $1,000 electric bill on 1600sqft. How many KWH?
    A return/supply duct leaking/open to unconditioned space is something to look for.

Post Likes
    I agree with the others, sounds like the ac is running and a 15-20kw heat pack is running continuously.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I agree with the others, sounds like the ac is running and a 15-20kw heat pack is running continuously.
    That was my thought as well. My goodness that much for a month is a house note plus some. Get a hvac tech out ASAP!

Post Likes
    SO WHY WAS Our bill for Nov. & Dec. $ 1054.00.
    Sounds like a 2 month bill to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Sounds like a 2 month bill to me.
    It's gotta be 2 months
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    Let's see KWH use.

Post Likes

Crazy High Heat bill for heat pump in Seattle--Tech Feedback

Hey All,

So the tech came out to the house and found my 5 year old Goodman heat pump lost most of its refrigerant. There's only 10 PSI left. He said the refrigerant isn't even being produced anymore, so it's super expensive. He also found multiple locations of oil on the outdoor coil.

The other interesting part to the story is that the prior owners of our home installed both the electric furnace and the heat pump themselves. They left the paperwork for the licenses they had to apply for with the city to install the units after they decommissioned the oil tank in our back yard. Our ducts are from 1962 when the house was built and have lots of uninsulated areas and air is leaking into the crawl space. My neighbor whom I trust told me it was the owners' father who installed it.

The tech told me to just get a new heat pump installed. He said there may be more unexpected surprises in the future. I am not sure what to do. My parents are telling me to get gas. I called the gas company and they did not extend the pipe to the end of the cul-de-sac where I live so it's 5 grand to get the oil extended to our home.

The same HVAC company came back and quoted me about $ for the new heat pump (this includes the incentive from our utility company).

What do you think I should do?

p.s. we are living paycheck to paycheck without assets or savings with a debt to income ratio that's pretty scary.

What would you do??
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-26-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Get 3 estimates, weigh your options and make an informed decision. It could be fixed but they are likely right that it should just be replaced. Did they even try to locate the leak? It may could be patched up, charged with freon and back in business but it's still not going to be cheap and may not last very long. Get on the Dave Ramsey program and pay down that debt, you don't have to live that way. Good luck.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    approach the utility about taking payments on extending the gas... which is common... do away with the heat pump and go with forced air gas heat... do away with the electric hot water heat and go with gas... put in a gas stove and a gas dryer... use this plan to negotiate with the gas utility - your gas bill will be a max of 200 per month for the coldest month of the year.... and most months it will be less than 100. I live north of Seattle about 60 miles with an all gas house ... your ducts might be leaking but that can be solved inexpensively as long as they are sized correctly... While AC is nice for a few days of the year here in the Seattle area it is not necessary.... and your yearly maintenance will be much lower. Generally when you extend a utility to your property and anyone else wants to hook up to your extension they have to pay you to do it... So there will be some recovery depending on your circumstances. With the difference between your current electric bill and the all gas plan there should be money in the budget to pay for everything and still save some cash. Make sure that the extension agreement recognizes that you can recover some of your costs if someone else whats to connect... It's only fair.
    For the Government to Give Something to you - THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT WAY FROM SOMEONE ELSE FIRST...

Post Likes
    Get 3 estimates, weigh your options and make an informed decision. It could be fixed but they are likely right that it should just be replaced. Did they even try to locate the leak? It may could be patched up, charged with freon and back in business but it's still not going to be cheap and may not last very long. Get on the Dave Ramsey program and pay down that debt, you don't have to live that way. Good luck.
    X2 for Dave -- Changed my life!

I know that doesn't help you now, though. If you truly can't borrow more money, and/or don't want to, and the system is too expensive to repair, you might just need to turn the heat down and suffer through a little. Honestly, I would think twice about repairing it anyway. Running it as you have been in its current condition has put excessive wear on the internal components of that heat pump. Because the previous owners installed it themselves, there is most likely no warranty as well as other issues with the installation. This scenario is problematic in our industry, and usually with the Goodman brand.

Switch off the circuit breaker to the heat pump if you haven't already (Leave the "furnace" breaker(s) on). Running it as-is only costs you money and further damages itself. Set the thermostat to emergency heat. This is a very expensive way to heat your house as you will be relying solely on the electric backup/auxiliary heaters in the air handler, so drop the temp down to sweater and blanket levels. Keep a fresh filter in it.

Take some time, get a couple of quotes, and write out a budget. It's temporary, as is a cold snap in Seattle. Check with your gasco - there might be something there, although not as much as there used to be.

If something sounds fishy, feel free to ask about it here. We won't discuss local pricing or bids with you, and you may get a lot more info to weed through, but you will get a few gems, too (R22 refrigerant IS still being manufactured, and will be for a few more years, although the amount is limited by the federal government, and the price is most definitely going up).

Post Likes
    A couple of things: How long have you been in the house? Did you have a home inspection performed, and did you purchase any warranty with that?

Also, I once had a newborn in a house with VERY expensive oil heat. We ended up putting an oil/radiator type space heater in the babies room on the low (600watt?) setting. It might be worth a couple of hundred dollars to have the home's electrical checked out, though, if you haven't already.

Post Likes
    +3 for the DR plan.

Post Likes

I can't thank you enough

Gentlemen,

I cannot express my gratitude enough. Thank you all so much! I will call the gas company again. We'll see if I don't have to come up with the cash up front. Perhaps financing is available. I will disconnect the HP. I also started using the wood stove for the living room and I will put one of those newer Space heaters in the baby's room.

You guys are amazing!

Thank you again and again!

Julie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast