+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trane Cleaneffects Field Charger Cleaning

Post Likes
    "is there something else I can use to make my life bearable?"

I have lots of strong allergies so I understand the need (almost wrote "desperation"). I'd suggest the Lennox Healthy Climate 16 Media Air Cleaner. It's what I'd use if I wanted a brand-name filter. No cleaning required but it should be as effective as the Cleaneffects as far as particles and allergies are concerned. If it doesn't help, then you're having another problem than mere allergies.
    -If you won't turn it on then nothing else matters.

Post Likes

Trane CleanEffects

Two thoughts in response to many previous statements about this unit.
    1) After cleaning and reinstalling the filters one must push/hold the reset button to get back to ground zero on the LEDs - (only the bottom green one flashing to indicate the unit is running ). Not prominent in the end-user instructions. Who writes these things? Very lengthy compared to how easy each step is.
    2) Yes, they say to clean the field charger spikes with styrofoam, but there are lots of styrofoams out there. (should I spend $100 to see what they use?) My first attempt was with the stuff used for decorations/crafts 'cause I had some right next to my work area, and the spikes looked much better - little white collections of scuzz on the tips disappeared. Yes, we must not have our users stick their fingers on the sharp spikes or they will sue. In my generation we were taught that stcking our fingers was how we learned!

Post Likes
    Do you use a solution on your sponge?

Post Likes
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I recently had to replace the field charger on my AccuClean (identical to the Trane TD175) unit, which was installed back in 2008 when my house was built. The field charger lasted 10 years before enough of the pins corroded to the point where the field charger was arcing through the plastic causing the AccuClean to throw error codes...those flashing red lights on the front display that mean the air cleaner has cut power to the field charger.

If @DrBermant still frequents these forums...there is a potential solution that might work for you to keep your field charger pins from corroding. I would recommend coating each needle in the field charger with a VERY small amount of CorrosionX. It's a type of oil used in marine/boating applications and safe for electrical and electronic components. You can submerge electronic components in the stuff and they'll work forever, with likely no corrosion. CorrosionX comes in a spray or spray-pump bottle. It runs about $20 per bottle on Amazon, and that bottle should be all you need for whatever uses you find for it. I replaced my field charger not long ago and I did end up coating every single needle with a small bit of CorrosionX, applied using a paper towel (carefully) on each needle. They look brand new to this day, and should remain looking that way. Not sure what's in the stuff that works so well, but it does work. It does have a slight odor but that odor will diminish quickly and should be negligible if you use a small amount.

5. Likes GreenSteez liked this post.
    Post Likes
    First post to this forum, which is obviously a great one!

I have a Trane HVAC with the Cleaneffects electronic system, so I found this thread very informative.

2100 square foot single story home, with unfinished full basement. Built 1991.

Original HVAC was full electric with heat pump.

System replaced 2007 with dual phase (tanked propane under 35 degrees ambient, heat pump over 35 ambient) Side flow basement floor level Cleaneffects.

I’ve been giving the CE the once over lately.

Those collection cells sure get discolored and won’t return to white… no matter what.

From what I’ve read, that’s normal and doesn’t affect performance.

I looked into replacing them, but $400 a pair for peace of mind? WOW! Thoughts appreciated.

I house vacuumed the pre filter, which I’m disciplined to do about every three months.

Also house vacuumed the collector cells, as per normal as well.

For the first time, I took the cells to the garage and moderately air compressed them. They have the 200 stampings.

I never, ever physically see any debris dislodge from the cells. But it’s just the wife and I here, so it’s a pretty clean house environment by nature.

I just got a brand new field charger unit delivered today, and will install it in a bit.

My old one looks a bit tired, and I know a few needles are missing.

It will be interesting to compare them side by side.

At $180, I figured it was a good buy.

I just ordered some CorrossionX mentioned in the last post. Looks like a great thought!

I tooth brushed the squirrel cash lightly, and removed a bit of dust. Still, some of that “caked crud” remains.

Might buy the Wagner 915 steam cleaner, and try that without removing the cage.

I’m near 70, and can’t crouch and maneuver like the old days!

Any thoughts on all this appreciated!

Post Likes
    Discolored collection cells in the filter is definitely normal...depending on the model of your cells, some can be rinsed out with a garden hose, which is what I do with mine during the late Spring when the weather improves and I can leave the collection cells outdoors to completely dry. You'll have to search Google...depending on how the collection cells are stamped/numbered determines whether or not you can rinse your collection cells with water. Don't use a pressure washer, use a nozzle on a garden hose. I've had my collection cells since 2008 and have rinsed them every season, they work fine to this day, no issues. I also coat the metal contacts on the filter cartridges with CorrosionX btw to prevent them from rusting. You can also use dielectric grease on those metal contacts.

Once a few pins break on the field charger (on top of any corrosion), it'll eventually start causing your AccuClean to start throwing errors which may result in the field charger being shut down altogether. If you maintain the field charger and lightly coat the pins with CorrosionX it should last well beyond 10 years before requiring replacement.

Post Likes
    Thanks!

New field charger now installed.
    Perfect fit.

As to cleaning the squirrel cage, what a pain that would be. Circuit board directly in front, etc.

I took a nice width flathead screwdriver, and lightly “scraped” the fins.

A bit of very light toothbrush work, being careful around the balance weights.

They weren’t all that caked anyhow.

Me happy! 🤠

Post Likes
    Resurrecting this old thread...

Is there anyway to test the collection cells? I don't have continuity on any of the 4 tabs. I believe there would be but not certain. The field charger seems to be proper regarding continuity but the pins have degraded quite a bit. I'm getting 3 red lights flashing, (error code 108.02 = no HV Output)

I am having so many issues with my entire Trane TAM8/ XV20i and the CleanEffects air filter. All installed in 2017 by a very reputable HVAC company. All duct work was replaced to spec by an engineer that did the heat load calculations. $26k later, I have a AC system that is less efficient than the 20 year old Trane (12SEER) system I proactively replaced. Trane rep has been useless, has contradicted numerous statements that are clearly stated in the Installation and service manual and I am having to figure this out on my own.

After 4 years, the collection cells were dark. I would vacuum and use an air compressor to clean them but after 4 years, they were very dark and i used a garden hose to clean them (no nozzle, light water flow, completely dried prior to installing). A substantial amount of grey water came out. Trane rep said that I ruined them. I sent him the page in the manual that said if you have 200 series collection cells you can clean them water. That didn't go over well. I also have one side of the coil showing major corrosion, the other side looks brand new. He said it was "environmental". Same plenum, same air, MERV10 filters at returns (to keep the new ducts clean) and CleanEffects filter in place. How does one side corrode and the other look new if its an "environmental" issue.

Static pressure of 1.3 but insists that the system should be in CFM mode, manual says should be in torque mode. Runs on Stage 2 (30%+ compressor speed) 95% of the time. Continues to run when at temp setpoint and below humidity setpoint. Whole experience has been a disaster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in