Post Likes

Service TRUCK, refrigerant storage, particularly in/under ladder rack?

I've been digging, but, I'm probably not looking in the right places.

While in Corpus Christi, TX for vacation(and admittedly sniffing for work) recently, I saw a few HVAC service trucks with the refrigerant stored on the bottom side of the ladder/pipe racks.

Scoped one out, as close as I felt comfortable, since I didn't see the tech, and didn't want to look like I was "shopping". Looked secure and locked.

I'm looking for something like this. I can make one, but I would much rather have the ability to purchase one.

So.... Any ideas? Or sources?

Thanks,
    Chase

Post Likes
    do you have a picture? we dont have that here, probably due to road salt in the winter. my pipe rack is internal to the truck body and my ladder rack is on the roof.

Post Likes
    Quite common here if your talking about a utility bed on pickup truck. Ford, chevy,dodge etc... fleet sales at any dealer can find/outfit for you.

Post Likes
    Right, I've only seen it in the south.

Problem is, I can get the utility body and ladder rack. Getting the rack mounted refrigerant storage is where I'm coming up empty. Even a brand. A truck set up like this with a power lift-gate is exactly what I'm after.

Marc, the trucks aren't enclosed. Just the side boxes.

Chase

Post Likes
    For reference..

A truck like this, and the refrigerant is mounted on the bottom side of the rack, but, off the bedsides..

Chase

Post Likes
    Trouble with the utility bodys is that they leak after a few years. I had one, some one ripped every door off and stole every tool that I had.

Post Likes
    There's nothing like a cargo van with keyless entry and auxiliary dead bolt locks. Have any of you had this? If you had an E350 working at JC, then you might know what I'm talking about.

Post Likes
    My current van(3years old) is pretty typical for the area, Chevy 1 ton cargo, with Adrian HVAC package. No power windows or doors, but the last round of new vans has them. I was just happy to get cruise control.

I don't dislike the van. I just miss the flexibility of a service truck.

Chase

Post Likes
    My dream van is a KUV Service Body!

Post Likes
    But can you stand up in them?
    Quote Originally Posted by robj View Post
    My dream van is a KUV Service Body!

Post Likes
    Most company's in my area just by the racks for vans and have them welded to the ladder rack. I actually purchased one to do that with just never got around to it...

Post Likes
    Some of them are the same inside height as a normal van but there are taller bodies that allow more head room but the trade off is the exterior height is more even without a ladder rack.

Post Likes
    Seems anything that can be seen is advertising for a thief. Most any hvac truck means money.
    There are companies that don't put their company name on their trucks or vans just because hvac truck carry more bucks than most any other trade and ez stuff to sell. I don't know if that's allowed everywhere.
    With the price of refrigerant there could be a lot of money sitting there in plain sight.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49