Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Question Commission not Hr pay?

I hope someone can give me a little advice, should I accept the job offer or pass. I am a 12+year in field HVAC tech, NATE all the good stuff. I have always been paid by the hour, but have a job offer that pays 18% of the total ticket (example $400 ticket I get paid $72). The on call is $40 for the call plus the normal 18% commission total ticket price. If for some reason I have to drive over 70 miles to a call, I get paid $50. There are days I have brought $2500 or more in, that is $450, here is where I start to think something does not seem right. There is also a down side, a $49 tune up is only $8.82 and if you only have three of those to do and can't find anything wrong, that is a $26.46 day. Anyone work like this, know anyone that has?

There is also no overtime working like this, they could work you as long as they pleased.

Post Likes
    Sounds like they really plan on you selling stuff the customer probably does not need. I wouldn't work residential either though.
    " Go sell crazy somewhere else,we're all stocked up here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmytee View Post
    Sounds like they really plan on you selling stuff the customer probably does not need. I wouldn't work residential either though.
    Yes, agree..... if they need it, that is fine, but I will not sale something they do not need. I have always been honest, and never had problems making a decent living.

Post Likes
    I worked for an outfit like this a few years back. I was completely honest with every customer, never sold a uv light and made 6 figures. I hate residential, and the company changed ownership so I was out of there. There were a few $26 days, but there were also days where I sold three systems at 6%.

Post Likes
    18% seams really low for flat rate. you need at least 30%. no overtime, call backs paY nothing, slows days pay almost nothing, its very low risk for employer

Post Likes
    I'm working in a similar pay structure now. And it sucks. Yeah I could hard sell iaq and make a fat payday but I don't hard sell that stuff. I pretty much rely on real repairs and take the 60 dollar days when there are no repairs.

The bad thing is at least in my area it seems all the shops are going this way. As far as I know there are only a handful of hourly shops left around these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garageink View Post
    I'm working in a similar pay structure now. And it sucks. Yeah I could hard sell iaq and make a fat payday but I don't hard sell that stuff. I pretty much rely on real repairs and take the 60 dollar days when there are no repairs.

The bad thing is at least in my area it seems all the shops are going this way. As far as I know there are only a handful of hourly shops left around these parts.

I did not know it was that common, I am use to a hourly wage, plus a little commission. I am meeting with the company once more, I need to get a better understanding of what they have to offer.

Post Likes
    If you have 12 years experience, you will be getting all of the call backs. You need to negotiate an hourly rate for those calls.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    If you have 12 years experience, you will be getting all of the call backs. You need to negotiate an hourly rate for those calls.
    That is very good advice, thank you. I am the one that gets the call backs, and also the one that runs to help the other techs when they run into problems. I have not committed to anything yet, I will bring this up when I talk with them.

Post Likes
    Find out what warranty work pays under this structure too. We get an hourly rate for repairs under warranty. But it ain't much.

Post Likes
    i left automotive because of flat rate. sad to hear its becoming common now in hvac. its almost no risk for employer. they dont pay anything when its slow, call backs on you, they keep all the parts mark-up, and when its good and busy for you its great for them. when it slows down, they don't have to pay you an hourly wage. its BS

Post Likes
    I just left a job that was 20 % commission and that's all it paid no extras at all, not to mention 14 hours a day 6 days a week NO THANK YOU, I like to do an honest days work for a honest day pay but I also like to spend time with my family and some of these owners will work you to death with NO regard for you what so ever.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    i left automotive because of flat rate. sad to hear its becoming common now in hvac. its almost no risk for employer. they dont pay anything when its slow, call backs on you, they keep all the parts mark-up, and when its good and busy for you its great for them. when it slows down, they don't have to pay you an hourly wage. its BS
    Who pays the employer when its slow?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast