Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

question about the 1 man a truck guys

I have a buddy at work he just a little older than me but been doin forever and is very good. He always says he wants to go out on own but doesnt.
    I was wondering how hard it is. He hasnt been here very long so doesnt have alot of contacts.

I been tryin to encourage him but have no idea where the heck he would get customers.
    (No its not me I have too little service experience lol)

I worked with one guy who did the whole thing, 4 sales techs installer and 1 service guy and good size telemarketing room. Not what this guy looking to do.
    just thought it be interesting to hete from you guys.

Post Likes
    it's lots of heartache and pain, topped with chronic stress and pressure, and lots and lots of cash.

that's what it takes to start a business. dont go to a bank, unless you like having lots of fools tell you NO.

take a year or so of working at another company. Log all the names and addresses of your customers and maybe steal them if you can. it's the least expensive way because advertising doesnt pay.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    it's lots of heartache and pain, topped with chronic stress and pressure, and lots and lots of cash.

that's what it takes to start a business. dont go to a bank, unless you like having lots of fools tell you NO.

take a year or so of working at another company. Log all the names and addresses of your customers and maybe steal them if you can. it's the least expensive way because advertising doesnt pay.
    Neither does stealing you pay one way or the other, I don't know maybe you are immune to these things I am not.

Post Likes

If you're serious, you're a scumbag. I hope you are kidding.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    stealing is a relative term. i dont mean underbid your own employer while you work for them. i mean taking a log of names and addresses and target advertising directly to them while on your own. if that customer decides to use your company and they stay with you, you have effectively 'stolen' them from your previous employer.

all advertising is one company trying to steal customers from another company.

i repeat, i dont mean underbid your existing employer while working for them. all the bidding, advertising, etc. has to be dont through your own company and with your own resources.

Post Likes
    Yep. Scumbag.

The owner of that company has likely invested marketing dollars to gain that customer. While on his payroll, you are going to log his customers and use that list for direct marketing.

Thief is a thief.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    If you're serious, you're a scumbag. I hope you are kidding.
    a clarification was added. i didnt mean to underbid your own employer. that is plain wrong. target advertising is done all the time by companies.

the OP needs to do it from his own company with his own resources.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Yep. Scumbag.

The owner of that company has likely invested marketing dollars to gain that customer. While on his payroll, you are going to log his customers and use that list for direct marketing.

Thief is a thief.
    It's no different than taking a list of names out of a phonebook. Would taking a list from the phonebook make me a thief if those same customers had their information in there? I think not.

There's also companies out there that log purchasing information of people based upon the purchase type. I've used this in the past to target my past employers' customers. All it takes is money and time.

Post Likes
    It's no different than taking a list of names out of a phonebook. Would taking a list from the phonebook make me a thief if those same customers had their information in there? I think not.

There's also companies out there that log purchasing information of people based upon the purchase type. I've used this in the past to target my past employers' customers. All it takes is money and time.
    It's quite different. Many scumbags like you have found themselves in court answering the judge. Dumb scumbags.

Post Likes
    Idk if he would look for customers that way, maybe. I personally wouldnt but then again its his choice.
    ive worked at companies that had their own telemarketing room and some of the calls were just bad and some good.
    but That also costs money to have your own telemarketing room.maybe there are just telemarketing places that do target hvac customers, but finding one and the cost might be high. That was one way I was gonna bring up to him.
    but then again why bring up to him I have no clue how to back up the idea with how lol.

on topic of stealing customers, here on west coast of fla I can think of 2 companies maybe 3 off top of my head that were open that way.
    they shall remain nameless so I can still post here. But if there are any guys from my area they probably know the names.

Post Likes
    I think Benny has himself a customer loyalty complex. Those are MY CUSTOMERS Benny, they just currently make the check out to you. They are MY customers as the face of YOUR company.
    Living the dream !!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makinhole View Post
    I think Benny has himself a customer loyalty complex. Those are MY CUSTOMERS Benny, they just currently make the check out to you. They are MY customers as the face of YOUR company.
    i would agree with this. I used to work for a company that had a large, "loyal" customer base. When the franchises moved into the area and started using the targeted marketing companies like i posted above the "loyalty" was found to be nearly non-existent.

Companies are naive to think that any former employee who has started his own company will have any boundaries in regards to customers. ALL potential customers are free game. How the names are gotten, whether from a paid marketing company or from a personal kept log, means nothing in the end. Both companies will need to spend cash to earn and keep those customers. IF the customers are "loyal" they will stay, else they will look elsewhere. That's what targeted advertising is all about.

As long as the former employee is targeting those potentials on his own time and with his own resources from his own company there is no conflict of interest or thievery.

Post Likes
    This used to be an elite hvac crowd here. I see it's been found by the scum of our trade. That's unfortunate.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast