Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Oxidation is a chemical burn even when soldering I promise. If your soldering your also using flux correct? That in itself is acidic. Acid breaks down the dryer. Someone correct me if I am wrong .....Andy

Post Likes
    It probably started plugging up right away.Suction line driers were getting changed but did you do an acid test?
    garbage in an old system with a high acid can plug them up fast IMO.
    Take your time & do it right!

3. Likes fish1 liked this post.
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    wax from mineral oil. make sure your discharge line temp is no higher than 225 degrees 6 inches from compressor. temp in cylinder 50-75 higher, 300 degrees oil breaks down.

Post Likes
    What flavor refrigerant???? Original compressor with MO??? What color is the white tag on the comp, if there is one???? Condenser clean??? I would maybe suspect WAX. I might put a new over sized suction line filter drier and an over size LL drier in the system. Would also consider changing the oil in the comp.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    itsiceman-

Yes; I know I can cut it open eventually - but I'm home right now. Just pondering what the hell it could be.

BigJon -

But this system isn't at all new. Any flakes would have been long since caught I would think.

Andy Schoen -

The sight glass shows dry. And I just installed this dryer a month ago. The rusted suction drier is not in the system - I replaced it last month and tossed it this afternoon. I just mentioned it to show how old this system is. Not at all new.

It just seems odd to me that anything could be 'still floating around' in such an old system. And I can't picture what could be coming apart in a running system and producing drier clogging debris.
    PHM, I keep a die-grinder on the truck. Open them up on the job site. Just so you'll know what kind of crap the filter is catching.
    FEN

Post Likes
    phm, am new in this post, going thru the same thing, liquid drier gets plugged every month or so. replaced with larger drier and still gets plugged...going on my fourth one. 3ton R22 reach in box. did u find a solution for the same issue you had in the past?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fashtee View Post
    phm, am new in this post, going thru the same thing, liquid drier gets plugged every month or so. replaced with larger drier and still gets plugged...going on my fourth one. 3ton R22 reach in box. did u find a solution for the same issue you had in the past?
    Pull the charge
    Change the oil
    Triple evac
    Recharge.

I’ve seen a hand full of plugged driers in 45 years.
    4 on 1 system?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Pull the charge
    Change the oil
    Triple evac
    Recharge.

I’ve seen a hand full of plugged driers in 45 years.
    4 on 1 system?
    X2 on a plugged LLFD.??.Thats a lot of physical debris,,,,,,,, Then on the other hand I have seen LOTS of systems where I have changed the LLFD several times because the SGMI was showings "wet/caution".

Post Likes
    Nope; never found the bottom line reason.
    The removed driers had sort of a sooty powder inside them.
    The problem never re-occured.
    So I'm not sure what the hell it was. <g>

Until you revived this thread I had forgotten all about knocking that Hindu guy down for screaming at me.

PHM
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by fashtee View Post
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

12. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    While you were not there, his "maintenance" guy brother in law visited and decided it needed some oil or gas and used whatever he felt was "right" cuz F/D do not plug up all of a sudden like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12