Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    I was a Major Appliance repairman for 27 years before switching to commercial and i have brazed in hundreds of cap tubes. When I worked for RCA Service Company (1977 to 1979) we only used easy flow 45 high silver brazing alloy (1100 degrees) and soft flame Prest-O-Lite twin tip torches (acetylene and air) they had not invented turbo torches yet. A turbo torch (acetylene and air) with a #2 or #3 tip should work just fine and you can use 15% phos copper stick or easy flow 45 with flux which ever you feel more comfortable with. Tilt the tubing downward (so the alloy has to run uphill,) put the cap tube in about an inch and bend your brazing rod over at half an inch when that half inch is gone don't add any more alloy. Put your flame on the larger tube and when it is a dull red apply the alloy, inspect with a mirror and that is it. Inserting the cap tube far enough and not using too much alloy is the trick. JP when using easy flow 45 I always rubbed my index finger on my greasy nose and wiped it around the end of the cap tube (the high silver alloys are more finnicky about clean tubing). It works!
    27 years ? really its a very long time bravo

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZ View Post
    Just did my first ever compressor replacement today on a merchandiser, holy moly I wish I read this thread before tackling the cap tube!

Favorite suggestion is the wiggle the tube out when de-brazing it, I'll remember this next cap tube I remove. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get the left over material out in a really tight spot. When boss finally got back to me he told me to run nitrogen and heat it back up. Worked like a charm, was the last braze so only two holes to flow out of heh. In addition to being tight, the cap tube had to go up into the pipe. Tried all sorts of configurations, even had to start over and cut the tube a bit, eventually the monstrosity sealed up and I was able to continue. Any tips on getting a cap tube going up into a pipe? I shoulda took pics, felt like a special sort of hell getting it sealed. I'll look into getting a smaller tip, perhaps that'll help out.
    thanks for all this informations
    best regards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123