Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Contractors licence

So i eventually wanna go for my contractors licence in 3 to 4 years i took an hvac program at community college and now ive ben with a company for 6 months..my question is what should i be doing to prepare my self right know along with taking any classes for the trade and learning as much in the field as i can.. Should i find stuff to study for the licence exam.. I just wanted your guys opinion im 24 now and my dad says to do it before im 30

Post Likes
    Start at the bottom of the ladder and master each rung! Take some business and accounting classes on the way. Take on ALL of the after hours calls when you get into service. Good luck!

Sent from my iPoo using Tapatalk.

Post Likes
    You should gain more experience than 6 months before thinking about getting your license. There is a lot of other things you should spend your time learning before focusing on the material that's on a licensing exam IMO.

Post Likes
    Yea. Put in a solid 10 yrs minimum then think about contractors license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Bigcountryairhvac.com

Post Likes
    I was in maintenance for 3 years so i got a little more experience than just 6 months and i already have my own van and doing service... Thanks thats probably the classes ill take.. But yea im not gonna get my licence to early and get in over my head and get sued or anything else for that matter im just goal orriented and looking towards the future

Post Likes
    The way it's done here in CT is they give you a list of books that the test is based on. Code books, load calcs,ect. After school and apprenticeship you take a journeyman's test... You'll have all the school stuff fresh in your mind (sometimes if you recently completed it) but then you wait some years before you take the contractor test. I think the mistake a lot of people make is to forget about all those books! You should keep them handy and review periodically to keep the stuff fresh in your mind...there is a lot of knowledge in this broad field you wouldn't use everyday...
    Like, who's doing load calcs out with all the math and charts?

Post Likes
    Like, who's doing load calcs out with all the math and charts...

I like doing a couple of load calculations a year on the old old spreadsheets. I like looking at all the factors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Bigcountryairhvac.com

Post Likes
    Why not get it? Once you do you've got it as long as you pay the fee for renewal. But.... that was the most stressful open book test Ive ever taken....lol You don't have to use it it right away you can still work for someone else under their license.

Post Likes
    The sooner you can get your license the better, if you plan on being in the trade. Every state has different requirements when it comes to what experience is needed but in the end it all comes down to passing a test. You don't need any experience to pass the test so I'd find out what the other requirements are and go from there. Usually there's a class designed just for the license exam and that's all you need to do when you meet the other requirements.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    In addition to learning/knowing the HVAC trade, take classes in business administration. You can be the best tech in the world but if you do not understand business you will not succeed in business.

RDHolder

Post Likes
    I agree... get the license as soon as you can while everything is fresh in your mind... you don't have to do anything after you get the license but pay the renewal fee according your states timeline. However, do remember this, you will get sued so don't think you can protect from ever getting sued by preforming good work ... you just have to structure your business to protect your assets and your family's assets. Learn how the construction/repair contracting business is conducted. There are a lot of business aspects that are not apparent in the company you are working for. There is banking, cash flow, insurance of different kinds, bonding, employee laws, and the hardest thing to do, collecting your money. When you start learning about all the expenses you will understand why companies usually charge 3 times what they are paying a tech for their hourly rate. You can be the best tech in the world and fall on your face for lack of business knowledge. It's pretty easy to get your license and have a one man one truck company... it's also very easy for one decent sized job to put you out of business too. Or let one bigger service customer get into you for a sack full of money then file a bankruptcy on you... All of the pro's here have these T -shirts and wear them.... The don't wear them proudly and would have preferred to learn by someone else's experience. But that is why they call it "experience" - its a personal thing.... So learn from us... Learn your trade... then learn your business..

Post Likes
    I agree start from the bottom and put your time in.

Post Likes
    75% of an HVAC business is business. If you spend all your time becoming a good tech you be a good tech and a crappy businessman. I a am living proof of that statement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast