+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What would you do?

Post Likes

What would you do?

Called yesterday, HO says the furnace runs for about 2 minutes then shuts down and recycles, blower continues to run. The job is about 20 miles out of town.

26 yr old Amana 90% furnace on LP, the wire for the flame sensor pulls out of the ceramic but will still sense flame. The burner runs and I can see soot, rust, etc in the camber. We do a CA on it and find 2555 PPM CO and 3800+ CO air free. Nothing on the camber shows that it is compromised, just plugged. The plastic knob on the gas valve is starting to melt because of heat coming back from the plugged chamber. I don't even get into why it is going off on limit as I figure there is no way to clean up the chamber. I disable the unit and give the HO the good news. He gets pissed because I don't look into why the limit is tripping. I tell him there is no sense since the furnace should be replaced. He says I should fix the limit because after I leave he is going to put things back so it will run again and wants to keep the house warm.

So what would you do?

Post Likes
    Have him sign the ticket noting the problems and inform him he can do what he wants but he better take into consideration other peoples health and safety.
    Call me tomorrow if you want to talk about a replacement.

Post Likes
    Write it all up on the ticket, make sure he has a CO detector, and move on.

Post Likes
    cut off the fuel to the unit, or otherwise disable it so it cannot run. do it in a way that the homeowner cannot easily find it. document that it is a danger to life and health, note that it is disabled (but not how), and have him sign it. if he refuses to sign, note that 'customer refused to sign safety warning'.

if the homeowner manages to find the cause of your disablement, repairs it, and kills himself it's really not your problem. from the sounds of things the world would be better off without him anyway.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    A 26 year old HE Amana furnace? ...ridiculous, I cant stand cheapass customers, probably got granite counter tops though.

Post Likes
    And a 50,000 dollar car he replaces every 2 yrs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Likes
    I'd do the same as you did. High CO and it's leaking into the house ain't anything to mess around with. Make sure they know the thing is a death trap and unsafe to run.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in