Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes

    Please help! Looking for a professional, honest contractor in the Mesa, AZ area.

    Let me preface this post by saying that my grandmother is the most kind, sweet and wonderful human being who has ever lived. If you don't think so, you're wrong.

    She was having trouble with her four year old Bryant 5 ton heat pump, so she called the installing contractor to take a look. The short version of the story is that they have already taken $ from her, and are looking to charge her another $ when they return to replace a supposedly leaking evaporator coil in 10 days. I can't even imagine asking one of my customers to hand me $ with no solution to their problem, but that's beside the point.

    I have no faith in that diagnosis, and even if it is accurate, over $ to diagnose, replace an evap coil under warranty, and charge with R410A is robbery. Not to mention that my 88 year old grandmother will continue to be without heat for another week. She is heating her house with her oven and sleeping under a foot of quilts.

    I'm expecting a call back from the contractor at 7:30 tomorrow morning, and I will deal with them accordingly, but she will still need to verify the diagnosis and have the unit repaired.

    Can someone refer me to a qualified and conscientious company near Mesa, AZ that can help her? I'm not looking for cheap, I understand what it costs to run a service department. I just want someone I can trust to take care of my Grandma the way my company takes care of all of our customers.

    Please contact me at Email addresses are not permitted in post, please put it in your profile, thank you.

    Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-08-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Prices and email address

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    1,887
    Post Likes
    Even though the coil is under warranty that does not include labor. So you are upset because the contractor charged her for a service call to diagnose the problem and then gave her a price to replace it. Now you are asking for another contractor to look at it and give you their opinion. Well guess what, they are going to charge you for a service call to re diagnose the problem then give you a price to repair it. Does this sound about right or am I missing something. A 4 year old leaking coil is unfortunate and should be covered under warranty for the coil unfortunately this does not usually include labor. Be careful what you ask for you may wind up paying double. On the flip side you may just have a shady contractor trying to upsell for profit. Hope it works out for your grandmother.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    On the water but near the hood
    Posts
    1,812
    Post Likes
    Grandma is being treated fair and square unless there's more to the story.

    If you go to a doctor, you're on the hook for the office visit regardless of the prognosis. Treatments will generate more bills/expenses.

    Hopefully Obama will revamp the hvac industry.

    Good luck to Grandma!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thank you both for your responses. Unfortunately, the purpose of the post was to find a reputable contractor, and neither of you provided that.

    I didn't realize I was breaking the rules when I listed the prices this company was charging to diagnose the leak and replace the coil. A moderator erased the dollar amounts, making the post basically meaningless.

    Since neither of you had any problem making assumptions about the company in question, or about my judgement, I'll make some assumptions of my own; First of all, I'm assuming you perceived my post as another whiny customer who just doesn't understand what it should cost to do your job. I'm also assuming that the prices you had in mind for this particular job are somewhere in the admittedly elastic price range for the industry. Let me share my background and try to give you some sort of idea what we're dealing with here.

    I've been in HVAC since I was 18 years of age. I have never received a paycheck from any other industry as long as I've been old enough to vote. I founded my company when I was 25 and have built it into a leader in my market. I'm not trying to impress anyone, there are many more successful and smarter operators out there, but I'm plenty qualified to have make a call here.

    The contractor's price to replace an in-warranty coil in this case was well over half the cost of the original installation of the full split system. Does that seem reasonable to either of you?

    Profit is not a dirty word, but neither me nor my technicians have ever had to take advantage of an 88 year old widow to make it. I have seen some really crooked and disappointing things from this industry, but this is the worst I've seen in all my years as a technician and an owner combined.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    32,046
    Post Likes
    Here is my assumption.
    You're asking this question because you live in a different area of the country, so you're unfamiliar with what prices are normally charged in your grandmother's area.

    Now you could just as easily open a phone book get another estimate and find out if it's within the same ballpark as the original contractor, or you could go on Angie's List and you could find a contractor referral there, but we don't live where your grandmother lives either, so none of us have any idea whether or not what your grandmother is being charged is fair or is not, so asking us to refer you to somebody there is really just a shot in the dark.

    How did your grandmother choose the original contractor?
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern VA 38 degrees N by 76 degrees W
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-B View Post
    Let me preface this post by saying that my grandmother is the most kind, sweet and wonderful human being who has ever lived. If you don't think so, you're wrong.

    She was having trouble with her four year old Bryant 5 ton heat pump, so she called the installing contractor to take a look. The short version of the story is that they have already taken $ from her, and are looking to charge her another $ when they return to replace a supposedly leaking evaporator coil in 10 days. I can't even imagine asking one of my customers to hand me $ with no solution to their problem, but that's beside the point.

    I have no faith in that diagnosis, and even if it is accurate, over $ to diagnose, replace an evap coil under warranty, and charge with R410A is robbery. Not to mention that my 88 year old grandmother will continue to be without heat for another week. She is heating her house with her oven and sleeping under a foot of quilts.

    I'm expecting a call back from the contractor at 7:30 tomorrow morning, and I will deal with them accordingly, but she will still need to verify the diagnosis and have the unit repaired.

    Can someone refer me to a qualified and conscientious company near Mesa, AZ that can help her? I'm not looking for cheap, I understand what it costs to run a service department. I just want someone I can trust to take care of my Grandma the way my company takes care of all of our customers.

    Please contact me at Email addresses are not permitted in post, please put it in your profile, thank you.

    Thanks for reading.
    Check the dealer locator in the index, there are two dealers listed in the immediate zip code for Mesa

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    78,318
    Post Likes
    Access to the units may be poor, or very easy, we don't know, so we can't say much about the prices(I saw them obviously). We also don't know how long the tech was there searching for the leak, or what method/methods he used to fine the leak.


    PS: If you were a Pro member I would have simply moved this thread to the Pro forums, where prices are allowed. Prices are not allowed in any of the open forums.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    7,166
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-B View Post

    She is heating her house with her oven
    Is this a gas oven? There is a great danger of CO poisoning if it is. Get her some electric space heaters.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Here is my assumption.
    You're asking this question because you live in a different area of the country, so you're unfamiliar with what prices are normally charged in your grandmother's area.

    Now you could just as easily open a phone book get another estimate and find out if it's within the same ballpark as the original contractor, or you could go on Angie's List and you could find a contractor referral there, but we don't live where your grandmother lives either, so none of us have any idea whether or not what your grandmother is being charged is fair or is not, so asking us to refer you to somebody there is really just a shot in the dark.

    How did your grandmother choose the original contractor?
    It was just a shot in the dark that someone here would know or work for a good honest company, that's all. This is a nationwide resource and I thought it was worth a shot.

    She received a mailer with a coupon for a tune-up, and called the company. When they arrived they sold her a new unit. I really had no issue with that, it was 16 years old at the time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,480
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-B View Post
    It was just a shot in the dark that someone here would know or work for a good honest company, that's all. This is a nationwide resource and I thought it was worth a shot.

    She received a mailer with a coupon for a tune-up, and called the company. When they arrived they sold her a new unit. I really had no issue with that, it was 16 years old at the time.
    Here are a few for you, Mason Mechanical, Wolff Mechanical, Day and Night Air Conditioning, all are VERY good contractors.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Access to the units may be poor, or very easy, we don't know, so we can't say much about the prices(I saw them obviously). We also don't know how long the tech was there searching for the leak, or what method/methods he used to fine the leak.


    PS: If you were a Pro member I would have simply moved this thread to the Pro forums, where prices are allowed. Prices are not allowed in any of the open forums.
    I'll get that Pro thing handled when I have 15 posts. Won't take long at this rate.

    Time on the original call was one hour. Invoice says on site at 9:50am, completed at 10:45am.

    Access to the unit is not bad. Typical attic, plenty of room. I've been up there to check the unit and seal all the leaks from the install. The company in question is estimating 3-4 hours to replace, their estimate, not mine.

    The point I'm trying to make here is that I didn't make a baseless accusation. This is flagrant.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Here are a few for you, Mason Mechanical, Wolff Mechanical, Day and Night Air Conditioning, all are VERY good contractors.
    Thank you!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    78,318
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-B View Post
    I'll get that Pro thing handled when I have 15 posts. Won't take long at this rate.

    Time on the original call was one hour. Invoice says on site at 9:50am, completed at 10:45am.

    Access to the unit is not bad. Typical attic, plenty of room. I've been up there to check the unit and seal all the leaks from the install. The company in question is estimating 3-4 hours to replace, their estimate, not mine.

    The point I'm trying to make here is that I didn't make a baseless accusation. This is flagrant.
    For an hour, the diagnostic price is a bit high. The replacement price isn't really that high.

    You should call and talk to the manager/owner of that company.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •